SNES games on PSP

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by esoterica, Dec 20, 2008.

Dec 20, 2008

SNES games on PSP by esoterica at 12:35 AM (1,147 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. esoterica
    OP

Member esoterica GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've been mainly playing PSP games on mine, but I think I want to try out the emulators now. I'm particularly interested in SNES games... just wondering if I just use Popsloader or do I need some other kind of emulator? And sorry if this has been asked a million times, I didn't see it in the tutorials. I am currently running the latest firmware... which I think is 5.00 M33-4. And do regular SneS roms work or do I need to download a specific kind?

2. cupajoe

Member cupajoe Have a cup of joe!

United States
    All about psp emulators. [​IMG]

3. esoterica
    OP

United States
    I've seen that site, but is it up to date??

4. linkinkid

Newcomer linkinkid Advanced Member

United States
    Go to QJ.net and go to the emulator section, you'll want to try snesTYL smc version.

5. cupajoe

United States
    If you've seen that site then why are you asking if you need an emulator? [​IMG]

Anyways, just read up on that site how to apply the emulator and roms, and then use google to look for the latest version.

6. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Popsloader is just a loader for different versions of the pops emulator...nothing to do with SNES gaming at all.

What you want is this...currently probably the best SNES emu, and combined with a good Speed Hacks dat file it'll fulfil most of your needs.

7. esoterica
    OP

United States
    Oh ok, that was easier than I expected. Got it running now... is there a huge cheat database already built in or do I need to download some file/add codes? Adding codes seems tedious though.

8. cupajoe

United States
    You need to download the cheats. I don't want to preach to the choir, but cheating ruins games. I would assume retrieving the cheats is very tedious though...

9. esoterica
    OP

United States
    I know, I want to use them because I just want to replay some of my older favorites on SNES, which mostly consists of RPGs... just to relive the storyline and characters. I definitely don't feel like grinding through tons of random encounters though.

EDIT: The games seem to be a bit laggy. Is there a way to fix this? I think I'm already at the max speed?

10. linkinkid

Newcomer linkinkid Advanced Member

United States
    Well, depends what games you're refering to, but increasing your frameskip to 1 should workout for you.

11. monopoman

Member monopoman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah SNES emulation is not perfect many SNES games don't run well. It is a heck of a lot better then DS SNES emulation.

If you want hassle free emulation gaming try

GBA, GBC, GB, GG, GEN, NES, or PS1

All those run much better then the SNES games though a lot of SNES games will run fine. Basically the emulator has a much easier time with the less graphic intensive SNES games.

Starfox for instance runs so slow its unplayable. Super Mario World runs 100% fine and it works as good as it did on a real SNES.