Hacking Sneek/Uneek vs. Configurable USB Loader

shaunn1812

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all...

I got my 3.4U Wii back in April and used the Bannerbomb to install HBC and update to 4.2U where I installed darkcorp. It's been working well for me until lately, where it seems that my backups skip more than they actually play. I'll be picking up a HDD soon and I was looking at Configurable USB Loader, and then I found SNEEK+DI/UNEEK+DI. I think this may be a better option for me since I'm looking to play some old GC games and possibly some Wiiware/VC games (mainly Majora's Mask) and I don't think that Configurable USB Loader can do those things. If I'm right, can someone show me how to install the VC games and the like on the USB HDD? I know that the wii and GC games need to be in RAW format.

If anybody has any reason for me to stay away from SNEEK or UNEEK and go with a USB Loader, could you please tell me? I want something that's fairly easy to set up and use, and also something that can be used for anything the Wii can play.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm thinking about SNEEK because I just had to format my Wii Memory for the 3rd time since getting it (too many channels installed)

palasx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the GC compatibility in DIOS MIOS isnt "great", but its not "terrible". As for VC/Wiiware, you might try Triiforce, which also emulates nand using an external file system. Bear in mind that SNEEK requires (last i checked) that you use a different image format for your games, unencrypted i think? Either way, if you are thinking of putting several hundred games on a HDD, you should be aware of the extra effort it will take.

As with most things in life, there are a few different ways to reach the same goal. Sneek will DEFINITLY keep your wii alive longer by reducing the use and stress on the internal NAND.

best of luck.

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the isn't really a reason to not do both. I personally find USB Loading easier to use than S/UNEEK+DI. And from what I understand there are few games with IOS reloading which causes problems for cIOS USB loading.

I have both right now, myself. CFG for most of my games, and UNEEK+DI for Rock Band 3 (so I can have more songs without needing a new SD card).

Installing wads to a S/UNEEK nand should be pretty simple with ShowMiiWads, though I've had no reason to do it myself. You'll still be limited by the System Menus 4 or 5 pages, but I saw a topic with a Triiforce mod that should be able to work on S/UNEEK to get around that.

GC games can't be loaded through any means with USB. DIOS-MIOS was close, but didn't quite get it. So don't waste your time converting those to RAW if you go the +DI route
wink.gif

shaunn1812

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mvgc3 said:
I have both right now, myself. CFG for most of my games, and UNEEK+DI for Rock Band 3 (so I can have more songs without needing a new SD card).

Ok, that actually sounds like a good idea. Rock Band/Guitar Hero was actually one of the questions I had. DLC downloads to the SD card, but the USB kinda takes the place of that in UNEEK, am I right?

Also, what exactly is the difference between UNEEK and UNEEK+DI?

Thanks again!

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The USB drive take the place of the NAND, not the SD card. You can download DLC to either one (but not while using UNEEK; you would have to download it to you internal NAND, extract it, and put it on an emulated NAND).

The only difference between UNEEK and UNEEK+DI is that +DI allows games to be loaded from the USB drive. cIOS is not compatible with SNEEK or UNEEK, so normal USB loading isn't possible while using them. +DI adds a simple sub-menu, I guess would be the best way to describe it, to the system menu from which you select what game you want out of the ones you extracted/converted. You then start the game through the disk channel.

shaunn1812

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One more question... Sorry for sounding like such a noob...How would you set up CFG and UNEEK+DI on one USB Drive. I got a 500GB HDD for Christmas. Can I format the whole thing in FAT32 like it says to in ChokeD's SNEEK+DI Guide here on GBATemp? If so, can I choose when to boot UNEEK and when to boot from NAND so I can start CFG? I'm thinking my easiest option is to format say 100GB for Rock Band/Guitar Hero in FAT32 for UNEEK+DI, and the remainder in NTFS for the rest of the games, which I'll likely convert to .wbfs.

Is this reasonable?

Thanks!

mvgc3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format the 500GB drive to FAT32. Use WiiBackupManager to add games to it, which will be placed in "wbfs" on the drive root.

The following I find is made significantly easier with ModMii:

Extract whatever games you want to use with +DI, which I THINK are placed in "games" on the root. Set up an emulated NAND (different methods can be found in the guide you mentioned). Place the files for UNEEK+DI in their appropriate places.

I also think that putting homebrew apps on the USB drive makes things a bit easier, which is done exactly the same way as with an SD card. Make an "apps" folder on the drive root. This is because to change between UNEEK and normal NAND all you have to do is insert or remove the SD card! SD card in when you power the Wii will go to UNEEK, if it's out it will go to internal NAND.

Alternatively, there is an app that will change the name of the BootMii folder on NAND, though I've personally had little luck with this. I find it easier to just get up and pop the SD card out; you don't even have to remove it entirely, just unclick it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-