Smash WiiU MSC Editing

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Green;Dog, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Green;Dog
    OP

Green;Dog Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    The main purpose of this thread is to see who out there is working on solving the MSC mystery and what progress they've made, and to sum up what I know of it so far to help drive interest.

So far I have found a solitary source of information on MSC in the form of a python script
    It's found in dantarion's sm4shtools: https://github.com/dantarion/sm4shtools

If anyone has any other information, please share it.

What I know of the MSCSB file format:

All sections are aligned to 16 bytes

There is a 0x30 byte header:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

The size of the rest of the file depends on the header contents, but follows this format:

The entry table is just 4 byte pointers into the data block.
    The strings appear to have c style formatting.

What I have figured out about commands beyond what's available in sm4shtools:

I know this isn't a lot of information to go on yet. There are over 2000 function entries in captain falcon's msc, significantly less in something like the hadoken msc. Projectiles and other things with their own msc may be a better starting place than an entire fighter just because they're smaller, but they may or may not be useful toward reprogramming a fighter. I did notice that Ryu's msc is larger than falcon's, but not by too much. It's in all likelihood due to handling Ryu's special inputs. All of bayonetta's extra bits (gamorrah, the bats, her hair, her smashes) all have their own msc and *may* prove a useful starting point.

ItsKipz likes this.