Smartphone with 1080p?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Satangel, Aug 21, 2010.

Aug 21, 2010

Smartphone with 1080p? by Satangel at 12:58 PM (1,381 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    We recently got a new TV and it supports 1080p. Problem is, we don't have anything else that supports 1080p, so we can't enjoy it at it's maximum capacity yet.....
    So my question is: are there any smartphones out there or are there any coming that support 1080p videos, and will I be able to hook it up to my TV and watch movies on the TV that way?
    I read it was possible somewhere, and it really sounds like a neat feature now!

2. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    Most high-end smartphones support 1080p, such as the Evo 4G, Galaxy S etc.
    Most also record in 720p now.

3. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Awesome, awesome....
    I don't think the HTC Desire supports it?
    And does it work well on the TV, no lag? And doesn't it eat a lot of battery power of the smartphone?

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    It does eat quite a bit of battery power playing hd media files on a smartphone. You'd be better off getting a dedicated media player that you can hook up to your tv. Either that you can use your xbox or ps3 if you have one already.

Also as far as I'm aware the htc desire doesn't have a tv output.

5. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Chances are you have a laptop or a desktop you can connect to the TV with a VGA cord. Most desktops and most not ancient not netbook laptops can probably do 1080P.

6. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Then again, those devices tend to have HDMI or DVI output on them, as well, which is probably the better choice in that case.

7. TeenDev

Member TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

United States
    My netbook can handle HD video. It really depends on the netbook (W00t ASUS eeePC 1005HA).

8. Satangel
    OP

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I got a kickass desktop that can run 1080p fine, but it's in another room, so no way to hook it up with a VGA cord. My brother got a pretty good laptop, but when we tried to play a 1080p movie on it, the PC started lagging and all and it didn't work well. Not enough power, it has just enough to play 720p though [​IMG]
    I wonder, if we would hook up the TV to our wireless network, could we use the kickass desktop to stream the 1080p movie to the TV?