danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can do that with an USB loader.

no its not an option...ive got loads of games on disc....3 kids on half term that want to play their wii ,.. they cant go out because of the crap weather and limited time.....not enough time to mod a wii and order usb drives etc etc as they be back to school by then.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Have you got any pictures of your Wii drive as it is currently?

yes mate...

20180212_233555.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
no its not an option...ive got loads of games on disc....3 kids on half term that want to play their wii ,.. they cant go out because of the crap weather and limited time.....not enough time to mod a wii and order usb drives etc etc as they be back to school by then.

yes mate...

View attachment 114036
Use a flash drive or SD card you have laying around. It doesn't take long to softmod it, all the steps can be done with ModMii in less than an hour.
It's up to you of course. But getting this fixed has already taken far longer than softmodding would.

danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GUYS, Leave him alone, if he doesn't want to use usb loader, he doesn't have to.

I would say re-assemble it, and go from there, cause I've taken multiple wii's apart, and haven't seen that.

thanks, i'll give it a go, just the advice i need ....i've watched about 20 teardown wii and teardown dvd drive vids on youtube and i cant see the part either....
its just doing my head in that a part that looks like an internal part wouldnt belong in there...and its something my kids wouldnt have and also put in there? strange.

lets see if it works. :D

Last edited by danyboy72,

danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Use a flash drive or SD card you have laying around. It doesn't take long to softmod it, all the steps can be done with ModMii in less than an hour.
It's up to you of course. But getting this fixed has already taken far longer than softmodding would.
not really... i like to keep things simple and not introduce more complicated steps that can go wrong and casue more problems than whats already there,..i was hoping to have the part back in last night so the wii was back to normal and the kids could play it today...it took me 15mins max to take it apart and dislodge the stuck penny...

Vs

if i was to softmod it i'd have to order a usb drive (which would probably turn up at the end of the week: too late) to store all the games they want to play (i assume you have to store them on there as i have no idea about softmodding?) learn how to softmod ... then theres the time to put them on the usb or download them or whatever etc etc...that to me would probably take/seems like dayS work...which means my head would be in the PC and they wouldnt be playing games....bit of a waste of a rainy / snowy half term, not much fun with 3 bored kids.

danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
^^Exactly what Jdbye said.

We are giving you the better solution. This would solve everything for you, OP.
no, i wrote the reason above, so not "what jdbye said", did you read the reason? if you did its not logical why you'd say its a better solution when its not...you also dont understand that by the time i've softmodded the kids will be back to school.pointless.

so it will solve everything aye?...how does softmodding it make me know if the metal part was part of the drive or not...will it come up with an on-screen message telling me where it goes???????
i wanted a quick repair... not a long, alternative, not interested, irrelevant to what im doing, might not work, havent got the parts, fix.
also my question was about a possible part that fell out ..not softmodding.totally irrelevant.

...just because you want someone to do it your way doesnt mean its a better solution...maybe for you its better but not for me...maybe its illegal aswell?.
plus you seem to think its a better solution for 'me'...its not for me its for 3 kids ..the youngest probably wont know how to navigate menus or whatever this softmodding is.....but he knows how to just put a game in....so NOT a better solution!

Reactions: vpd

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
No need to act like a pecker about it. Sure, continue with using discs that kids easily scratch. Sure, waste more time diddling with a loose part that no one has been able to figure out where it goes that may cause your drive to not function anymore. Since you are so worried about the kids, maybe spent some time with them instead.

Btw, softmodding is extremely easy. You could have had it already done by now. But hey, if your drive is broken and you cant figure out where the part goes then you might just have to order a new drive but by that time your kids will be gone and they will remember that you wasted days screwing around when you could have just listened to the advice of many people.

But, your response to me says that i should no longer bother trying to help bc you dont appreciate the help. Its your way or the highway. Good luckl

Reactions: GunzOfNavarone

istmeedoofer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you are that adversed to modding your Wii, it really is the way to go BTW, look for a replacement on Ebay or FB, even in my middle of nowhere neck of the woods there are 1/2 a dozen or so that are within an easy drive.

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+Teardown/812

I don't see the part in this guide. I'd reassemble it using the guide and power it on. If there are no adverse effects, I wouldn't worry. All it looks to be is some type of retaining clip to hold something, presumably cables. It serves no function other than to keep things neat and orderly, but again, I can't see anything like that in the breakdown guide I've copied in. At some point, it would benefit you greatly to softmod it. If you're worried about the legality side of it, then simply use the games you have to add to a drive. It's far quicker and simpler to scroll through a list of your games and load one up. There is no disc swapping, no worry of kids getting their sticky mitts on the discs, no waiting for discs to spin up and load and no further insertion and ejection of discs. It's also very simple to create a drive full of your (legally owned) game backups.

Reactions: danyboy72

danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No need to act like a pecker about it. Sure, continue with using discs that kids easily scratch. Sure, waste more time diddling with a loose part that no one has been able to figure out where it goes that may cause your drive to not function anymore. Since you are so worried about the kids, maybe spent some time with them instead.

Btw, softmodding is extremely easy. You could have had it already done by now. But hey, if your drive is broken and you cant figure out where the part goes then you might just have to order a new drive but by that time your kids will be gone and they will remember that you wasted days screwing around when you could have just listened to the advice of many people.

But, your response to me says that i should no longer bother trying to help bc you dont appreciate the help. Its your way or the highway. Good luckl

1. quote = "No need to act like a pecker about it" - wrong. Im not acting like anything...im just telling you how it is...dont be so oversensitive.

2. quote = "Since you are so worried about the kids, maybe spent some time with them instead." - Are you an idiot? (thats a question btw) I didnt say I was worried about my kids - why say that when yet again its irrelevant????
stick to facts and dont assume things about me - you wont look so much of a div!
spend time with my kids aye?...that was ecxactely my point that you probably didnt read when i said i DIDNT want to spend 3 days with my head in the PC looking how to softmod and download games, ordering usb's ETC ETC...I said i'd rather spent 3 days playing games with them...because i cant take them out because of the rain and snow...so your theory is contradictory.

3. quote = "But hey, if your drive is broken" - wrong again, the drive is not broken - it had a penny stuck in it - why are you saying its broken when its not? weird....oh hang on your probably saying it to try and make your point valid...well its not valid and not logical. get over yourself!
and i will probably disappoint you when i say i'll only listen to common sense advice from the helpful logical member with plenty of experience (probably more than you) with taking multiple wiis apart has said: hes never seen that part so will probably work when re-assembled. thats logic!

4. quote "your kids will be gone and they will remember that you wasted days screwing around" LOL, yeah screwing around with somthing like sofmodding which wont detect a part if its a comonent of the dvd drive - imbecile!

5. quote = "i should no longer bother trying to help bc you dont appreciate the help" - LOL.. you havent helped at all ..telling me to softmod wont detect the part of the dvd - irrlevant to my question.no help what so ever.
other people have helped more with one answer than your crusade for softmodding.
if you are helping why havent you answered any of my questions???
i have been decent enough to answer yours even if they are irrelevant!

looks like someone only has the intent of reading so they can reply...but not actually understanding the question.

p.s. you are also incorrect...i do appreciate help...relevant help and i have thanked those that have helped and offered relevant advice...but i guess you dont want to acknowledge that as it would prove you wrong.

If you are that adversed to modding your Wii, it really is the way to go BTW, look for a replacement on Ebay or FB, even in my middle of nowhere neck of the woods there are 1/2 a dozen or so that are within an easy drive.
thanks. but it isnt faulty - it was just a penny stuck inside and was only wondering if the metal bit was part of the dvd drive mechanism.
is it such i crime that i dont want to mod my wii? no offence intended ;)

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well said Danyboy - from one parent to another I feel your pain. My two little ones stare up hopelessly at the shelf I built 5 feet in the air holding the Wii U, Xbox One S, Switch and Ultra HDMI N64 LoL

Did you reassemble and have a functioning Wii again?

danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+Teardown/812

I don't see the part in this guide. I'd reassemble it using the guide and power it on. If there are no adverse effects, I wouldn't worry. All it looks to be is some type of retaining clip to hold something, presumably cables. It serves no function other than to keep things neat and orderly, but again, I can't see anything like that in the breakdown guide I've copied in. At some point, it would benefit you greatly to softmod it. If you're worried about the legality side of it, then simply use the games you have to add to a drive. It's far quicker and simpler to scroll through a list of your games and load one up. There is no disc swapping, no worry of kids getting their sticky mitts on the discs, no waiting for discs to spin up and load and no further insertion and ejection of discs. It's also very simple to create a drive full of your (legally owned) game backups.
thanks mate - that was the guide i initially followed - then when the bit fell out i searched for 'bit fell out my wii drive' and another post from this forum led me here...the other post was about a ribbon connecter bit/flap thing that had failed and someone wanted to repair it ..(another example of why softmodding wont fix the drive deadlyfoez).
ive watched dozens of teardowns and cant see it.

in all honesty i cant see how 15mins of taking the wii apart then 5mins asking to see if the bit belongs there and then another 15 mins to reassemble is longer than softmodding...it would take me a week to understand it and do it - ive looked! :D im not as good as other people.

Well said Danyboy - from one parent to another I feel your pain. My two little ones stare up hopelessly at the shelf I built 5 feet in the air holding the Wii U, Xbox One S, Switch and Ultra HDMI N64 LoL

Did you reassemble and have a functioning Wii again?

LOL thanks, i will be reassembling it in a bit and let you know :D
Obviously i dont know for sure but it sounds like someone else on here doesnt have kids but plenty of time to mod and play with their toys...personally i dont play the wii etc .....i prefer pacman and donkey kong on the atari...nothing to go wrong with them...still gotta working woody :D

Reactions: Classicgamer

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks mate - that was the guide i initially followed - then when the bit fell out i searched for 'bit fell out my wii drive' and another post from this forum led me here...the other post was about a ribbon connecter bit/flap thing that had failed and someone wanted to repair it ..(another example of why softmodding wont fix the drive deadlyfoez).
ive watched dozens of teardowns and cant see it.

in all honesty i cant see how 15mins of taking the wii apart then 5mins asking to see if the bit belongs there and then another 15 mins to reassemble is longer than softmodding...it would take me a week to understand it and do it - ive looked! :D im not as good as other people.

Yeah I get that, in all honesty I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it was something with a connector on the end or a ripped ribbon or a cable or something like that I'd be more concerned. As for your soft modding concerns, I've softmodded a lot of consoles and the Wii was very easy if you're ever looking to do it. With the beauty of YouTube, there are even video guides that lead you through stuff. But you could think of it as preservation too in that at some point an optical drive starts to fail or the laser unit weakens and needs replacing. If memory serves correctly, I think each wii drive has a unique key that marries up with the board so it's not a simple case of just swapping the drive out. The other slant to look at it is that a digital backup of a game will not deteriorate like a disc will. But to each their own. I'd rather soft mod than disassemble and reassemble. I used to open my Xbox and that was a nuisance putting that back together. But like I say, I've done my xbox, ps3, vita, psp, 3ds, wii and wiiu and the wii was pretty simple. Plus, if there are steps you don't understand, there are people on here willing to help I am sure.

But for now, I'd just reassemble and see how it is. If it works, you're sweating over nothing.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m clinging to gaming in the little free time I have. I also prefer older titles but more NES, SNES, N64, PS1/PS2 and handhelds. Currently I’m rocking Dragon Quest Builders on Switch which feels very much like a 3D Dragon Warrior NES game, something that really tickles my pickle LoL

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, I came here because I am a bored person and I want to know the conclusion of this story.
Good luck with your drive! I hope it works after reassembling.

PS: Also, I believe that even if it was part of the drive, it may work well without it. Anyway, we will know if that was the case soon enough.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

DeoNaught

I'm here to steal memes and break dreams
Trophies
Website
Gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like you got it, keep us updated :3

I’m clinging to gaming in the little free time I have. I also prefer older titles but more NES, SNES, N64, PS1/PS2 and handhelds. Currently I’m rocking Dragon Quest Builders on Switch which feels very much like a 3D Dragon Warrior NES game, something that really tickles my pickle LoL
wtf, I think you are in the wrong thread.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

danyboy72

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I get that, in all honesty I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it was something with a connector on the end or a ripped ribbon or a cable or something like that I'd be more concerned. As for your soft modding concerns, I've softmodded a lot of consoles and the Wii was very easy if you're ever looking to do it. With the beauty of YouTube, there are even video guides that lead you through stuff. But you could think of it as preservation too in that at some point an optical drive starts to fail or the laser unit weakens and needs replacing. If memory serves correctly, I think each wii drive has a unique key that marries up with the board so it's not a simple case of just swapping the drive out. The other slant to look at it is that a digital backup of a game will not deteriorate like a disc will. But to each their own. I'd rather soft mod than disassemble and reassemble. I used to open my Xbox and that was a nuisance putting that back together. But like I say, I've done my xbox, ps3, vita, psp, 3ds, wii and wiiu and the wii was pretty simple. Plus, if there are steps you don't understand, there are people on here willing to help I am sure.

But for now, I'd just reassemble and see how it is. If it works, you're sweating over nothing.
cheers. im more of a hands on bloke...im good at fixing bike brakes etc than fixing software if you get my drift ...hence why the drive teardown was easy with the ifixit guide....and easier for me than softmodding...ive looked at this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...backup-wii-gamecube-and-wiiware-games.360687/ and believe me when i say i'm much more comfortable with a screwdriver and the drive. lol

Sounds like you got it, keep us updated :3

wtf, I think you are in the wrong thread.
they was replying to my mention of atari

Reactions: DeoNaught

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents