Slow transfer speeds issue????

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by yusuo, Jun 22, 2014.

1. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    So I have quite an old PC running Windows 7 and Ubuntu, my laptop had died recently so I thought the logical thing to do was add the hard drive to the PC in the living room to give myself a bit of space amd also save some files, bad mistake.

Since doing this my transfer speeds dont go above 1mb/s it was telling me it would take 14 hours to transfer 60gb. I looked around and tried a few things like disconnecting the sata and adding it via device manager when the PC had booted up but still the problem persists, i then tried to copy the files within Ubuntu which transfered the files within 15 mins at normal speed.

This has obviouslt given me the conclusion that windows is telling it to go that slow for some reason and I can't for the life of me figure out why that would be, hence me coming here with you lovely people.

The machine in question is old, its a 2.4ghz dual core pentium 3 with a 40gb ide hard drive and is primarily my download machine. The hard drive I added is a 250gb sata drive that was freshly formated to NTFS upon adding it to the computer. On top of this the entire read/write time on the entire PC is incredibly slow, even unraring something takes an abnormally long time

Can anyone shed some light on this conundrum for me please

2. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    You all stoopid lol

3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you want to receive help, it might be best not to insult everyone. Based on what you said, I would guess there's a program on Windows 7 (e.g. an antivirus) that is slowing down your transfer speeds.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Well I found a couple ideas after Googling a bit, but I suppose I'll just let you figure it out since you're an ungrateful git :)

TyBlood13 likes this.
  5. yusuo
    OP

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    I was playing but apparently that was bad.

6. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It's bad to offend those you're asking help from. It's also bad to double-post in the same day (seen as needless "bumping" of the topic). Let those who may be able to help you have a chance to read it (in their respective time zones) and answer before you post again.

For what it's worth, my ideas are virus scans and Windows indexing the drive. If there are system files on the drive, sometimes access rights and privileges get in the way of the indexing service causing slowdowns.