Hacking Slot 2 card with most RAM?

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to know which slot 2 card for the DS has the most available ram.
I've heard that the Browser Expansion has a good amount.
I've also heard that the EZFlash IV, and the 3in1 have good RAM too.
But I can't find any exact statistics on them.

Do you know which slot 2 card out there has the most RAM?

The reason I want this is so that I can utilize the RAM from those cards to play FPS intensive games like Quake 1 & 2.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then why do you want "the most". Anything that is supported by those programs should do for it.

Theoretically the RAM is unlimited, in practice nothing goes above 32 megs, most EZFlash gear does not use above 16 megs (and I am not sure if the one that does have more has that extra supported by the library). That tends not to matter for the programs that want the extra RAM are happy with the 16 extra. If you are looking at EZ4s do not get an EZ4 lite compact as they do not have extra RAM.

If you only want it for homebrew I would get a EZFlash 3 in 1, it will probably be the cheapest, it has the RAM and can still play GBA games if you want.

Gameboy MAX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to use the gba carts to play gba games. I am using them as extra RAM so that I can play DS games. Quake 2 requires allot of ram, so it has me put a slot 2 cart in so that it can utalilze the RAM from that cart. I don't care what the cart does, I just want the one with the most RAM so that I get the most FPS from my game ports.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is not like a PC, or even a modern phone, where more specs might get you more FPS. If you have the RAM present then you can use the build with/options to turn on support for it. It will then take the RAM and use it the game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am familiar with the concept, libraries involved and software that used it. If you have a GBA slot cart providing RAM that is about as good as it gets for this. There may have been some aspects of DSlinux, or you could cook up an example with it, that might have got a slight boost if it had the full 32 (assuming you can pull off the miracle of finding a good 32 meg card in 2014), for everything else the 16 megs of RAM that the EZ4 (save for the lite compact models) and EZ 3 in 1 lines of GBA slot devices did what it needed to do. Certainly as far as the likes of Quake and whatever else did fine for it -- you are likely already suffering a fair latency penalty for using the GBA slot and the RAM itself tended to be fast as the GBA needed fast memory, with that there is not much to it.

All that said there are probably far better ways of playing quake on the go these days, I have not looked into quake on the open source handhelds for a while but quake is probably up there on the list with clone of pong, clone of tetris, clone of breakout/arkanoid and port of doom in the homebrews that get made/ported to every device going.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM