The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
TGyqz.jpg

The goal in first-person horror/terror Slender is to find 8 creepy manuscripts about the paranormal creature Slender Man and avoid going insane.
The more directly the player views Slender Man and the closer he is, the faster your sanity will drain.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BswJKtn_9o[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cRdc1Yyy9E[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8yzncDH44[/youtube]

PC Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?vql3a6fbjq0qbbv
Mac Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?m7m1llo73lw29n8

Source: IndieGames dot com
Image credit: Anarth

Reactions: 1 person

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, it was fun when it all started, but can we just put all this Slenderman stuff behind us? It's worn out and tired.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marble Hornets was enough for me. The whole Slenderman phenomenon is interesting but I'm guessing a lot of people will tire out of all these stories, movies (well, Marble Hornets), and now games associated with it. Personally I'd prefer talented horror people to draw up their own netherworld horrors.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If that game had a sniper rifle instead of a flashlight it might be more entertaining.
Looks boring as shit. What a lame ass concept. Who creates a horror/terror game around a fictional being that was never in any form, horrifying or terrifying? Waste of time.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Guys, it was fun when it all started, but can we just put all this Slenderman stuff behind us? It's worn out and tired.
Is that "stop having fun, you guys", or "stop liking what I don't like"? Anyway, there are a lot of people who don't know about the Slender Man mythos, so to them the whole thing is new and exciting. For for those familiar with the mythos, the interactive element adds a new... element. Um. And even if the theme is old and overused, doesn't mean the game can't be good. Consider vampires, zombies, aliens, Lovecraftian horrors, etc.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is that "stop having fun, you guys", or "stop liking what I don't like"? Anyway, there are a lot of people who don't know about the Slender Man mythos, so to them the whole thing is new and exciting. For for those familiar with the mythos, the interactive element adds a new... element. Um. And even if the theme is old and overused, doesn't mean the game can't be good. Consider vampires, zombies, aliens, Lovecraftian horrors, etc.

Slenderman mythos...weren't slenderman created by some 12 year old 4channer?
and then made popular by the god awful Marble Hornet videos?

Hell most people that think of slenderman now think "fuck those assholes always pick up chunks of my house and run off with it."

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is that "stop having fun, you guys", or "stop liking what I don't like"?

C) Neither

Anyway, there are a lot of people who don't know about the Slender Man mythos, so to them the whole thing is new and exciting. For for those familiar with the mythos, the interactive element adds a new... element. Um. And even if the theme is old and overused, doesn't mean the game can't be good. Consider vampires, zombies, aliens, Lovecraftian horrors, etc.

There are probably some people who have never heard of the Saw or Paranormal Activity franchises, but their mere existence doesn't make another tedious, repetitive, and phoned-in entry in the franchise any less tedious, repetitive, or phoned-in.

If the monster is predictable, of course it can; it undercuts any tension or suspense that the game tries to create. That's the backbone of a horror game. You don't have much without that.

Directionless Rant Incoming:
Also, it's interesting you brought up all those monsters. When was the last time vampires, werewolves, or zombies have been truly horrifying on their own? Werewolves and vampires are now fodder for romantic fantasies, and zombies (for the most part) are either used as a joke or as easy, shambling targets. In the works where zombies are taken seriously, they're never the main focus; the real horror comes in watching how human decency and morality erodes when the trappings of civilized society are torn away (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn/Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, etc.). Try creating a truly horrifying game with vampires or werewolves; chances are, it's not going to work.

Aliens and Lovecraftian Horrors (though both are just as often used as jokes) are so broad and general that you can do anything with them. There's no one formula for either; there is more (generally) that can be done with them.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hell most people that think of slenderman now think "fuck those assholes always pick up chunks of my house and run off with it."

TBH Marble Hornets is a rather well put together series of videos. They're eerie but not in a cheap "Paranormal Activity" sense. I wouldn't hate it just because you're all "bawww 4 chan is bad slenderman is too mainstream", it's a genuinely well put together series.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

TBH Marble Hornets is a rather well put together series of videos. They're eerie but not in a cheap "Paranormal Activity" sense. I wouldn't hate it just because you're all "bawww 4 chan is bad slenderman is too mainstream", it's a genuinely well put together series.

I'd disagree with you there. The production values are impressive, sure, but I've never found it to be actually frightening.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Are you kidding? Watching some of the Marble Hornets videos was the biggest waste of my life since the beginning of the internet.
It was so horrendously fake it just wasn't even funny (well actually it was pretty funny). So bad. So very bad. It was like the Blair Witch Project, on steroids. Unless they miracously got better anyway. I watched them when they had around 30 videos out.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd disagree with you there. The production values are impressive, sure, but I've never found it to be actually frightening.

But you've also got balls of steel or something.

Also we you probably watched it at a friend's house on his shitty laptop.

Are you kidding? Watching some of the Marble Hornets videos was the biggest waste of my life since the beginning of the internet.
It was so horrendously fake it just wasn't even funny (well actually it was pretty funny). So bad. So very bad. It was like the Blair Witch Project, on steroids. Unless they miracously got better anyway. I watched them when they had around 30 videos out.

Admittedly it has some laughable production values early on (mainly when they used a dummy instead of a live actor) but it's well made, well plotted, and quite eerie-scary for a lot of people.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Is that "stop having fun, you guys", or "stop liking what I don't like"?
C) Neither
Well it definitely sounded like "I'm bored of it therefore nobody else should be allowed to enjoy it."

If the monster is predictable, of course it can; it undercuts any tension or suspense that the game tries to create. That's the backbone of a horror game. You don't have much without that.
All I'm saying, the Slenderman concept has the potential to be creepy, if done right. It's not an inherently bad premise. It doesn't inherently break the tension the moment you see it. A game based on it has a pretty good chance of being genuinely scary. Not necessarily this one, mind you :ha: but a game in general.

7UDnu.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    Well taking responsibility for their own actions would mean doing work and self reflection lol easier to just be a pile of crap rolling down hill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dont mean to be rude but what was so important about them?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, He truly shared his great knowledge about Switch modding.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    People miss him because he used to be active a lot.
    +1
    I modified a switch in a bathroom one time by wiping poop on it... Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Been noticing it more these days alot has to do with coperation attitude manipulation people work in it so long they think it's a good way to live
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A true Switch genius.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: And he/she used to do any/every mod to the Switch, just to learn and teach others as well. A... +1