skype + games = audio gone?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zalda, Jan 30, 2012.

Jan 30, 2012

skype + games = audio gone? by Zalda at 9:23 PM (2,146 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    when I'm having a conversation on Skype with someone, and i start a game, sometimes (not always) my audio just stops. sometimes it's my skype conversation that stops (most of the time this is the case), sometimes it's my game, sometimes it's both.
    i fixed it once by just rebooting, starting skype conversation and starting the game, but sometimes even this doesn't work.
    what I've found by Googling is going to playback devices and then to communications, and setting that option to 'Do Nothing'.
    That's now the case, but the problem still persists.

2. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    1. If in Windows 7, right click your volume system tray icon and then click "Playback Devices" from the popup menu.
    2. Click on the "Communications" tab and make sure "DO NOTHING" is selected.
    3. Click "Apply"
    4. Go back to the first tab "Playback" and make sure that if you use only one sound device, and make sure Exclusive Audio mode is Disabled:
    [​IMG]

5. If problem persists after making these things are set as I described, make sure to run your games in Administrator mode as well as Skype?

6. If you have more than one output device that you use (such as a USB headset adapter for Skype) -- make sure that it is set up correctly; i.e. Speakers set to Default but Headset set to Default Communications.

1 person likes this.
  3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    What is supposed to happen with Skype is audio attenuation, meaning it'll make the game audio quieter in order to make it easier to talk. If the Skype audio stops, first thing I would think of is the network connection dropped. If the game audio stopped though, I'd think there's either an audio driver clash somewhere or the audio driver crashes altogether.

The only thing I can think of suggesting, update your audio drivers, and check for updates for Skype/your game.

Out of curiosity, which game?

4. exangel

United States
    Right, Originality is also right-- there are also settings in Skype properties that may auto-attenuate aside from driver settings. Make sure Automatic adjustment in the Audio settings for Skype Options are also not set to automatically adjust.

5. alphaspunk

Newcomer alphaspunk Advanced Member

India
    Using skype while playing games on lan is just amazing... There is a straight and simple solution which I use... JUST use your headphones...!

6. Originality

United Kingdom
    And if the problem persists after plugging in headphones (e.g. If the problem is caused by audio drivers crashing)... Then what? How would you suggest fixing the original problem?

7. alphaspunk

Newcomer alphaspunk Advanced Member

India
    Try updatin, reinstallin da audio drivers.... I posted what works out for me hopin that it would help u...

8. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    tried this, didn't help. Tnx for the excellent tutorial though. the problem still persists.
    okay, will look for driver updates for my audio card. the game i'm playing is MW2, via Alteriwnet hack. i think it's only with this game, because skype + Age of Empires 2 (classiiiiiiiiic) works perfectly.

and alphaspunk i'm playing via internet, not via lan

9. Originality

United Kingdom
    Have you tried looking in the audio settings for MW2? E.g. if it asks you to specify which sound device you want to use (e.g. HDMI audio, USB speakers, front panel speakers, etc)? It may be overriding your default audio device with another that isn't connected/set up (e.g. outputting to rear port speakers instead of front panel speakers).

1 person likes this.
  10. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    it's working perfectly now, thanks to exangel. big thanks to anyone who helped me here!!!

11. exangel

United States
    You're welcome, did you know which setting fixed it after you fixed it?