[SKY3DS] save game problem. which is the best eeprom no or yes?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jafanfauzi, Oct 17, 2015.

1. jafanfauzi
    OP

jafanfauzi Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2015
    Indonesia
    Balikpapan
    OK im pretty sure that i have back up my xenoblade chronicles and fire emblem save game in august. this night i tried to optimise my sdcard, wait wait and finished then poof my 120 playing game of those 2 games were missing. i did the hold the button then reinsert blink blink the led but still they are missing from my life. tried to restore them back from my previously backed up save game. still no use, ok thats the problem. so i fed up with this save game issues of sky3ds, guys answer me please, can the rom still be playable and save and load data if i set their templates into an eeprom : no??? i read that you can keep the save game into your Console SDcard that would be good if we can keep them safe in the Console's belly. is that true?

and sorry for my english. i hope somebody can help me tonight. thanks

2. qproject

qproject GBAtemp Regular

Mar 12, 2015
    Canada
    Always eeprom Yes for card1 games. eeprom No is for card2 games when game saves in the rom file like Animal Crossing or Pokemon X/Y.

3. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    Ouch. Hold on... I need advil for this one...

Okay. So let's get some things clear first:

Most games are EEPROM NO. Using Sky3DS DiskWriter to backup/restore savedata tends to work. But when you delete certain games like NES Remix, even if you use the same ROM as before, when you try to restore the savedata, it won't work. It has to do with some games saving to the ROM file itself.

Then there are EEPROM YES games like Pokemon, Monster Hunter, etc. They not only save data to the ROM, but make savedata on the system SD card. Backing those up are impossible unless you use an emuNAND like Gateway, NinjaHax, or RxTools. If you delete the ROM on the Sky3DS after having backed up the savedata, they will read as corrupt because they simply will not match up. You will need SaveDataFiler which only runs on emuNANDs to fix this.

So where to go from here?

Did you make a backup/copy of the mSD card before you compacted or modified it?

If yes, restore it.

If no, you're screwed.

Did you only replace a certain ROM? If yes, do you still have the old one? Either backed up or copied on a HDD? Delete the new ROM and restore/install the old one/copy.

If you didn't do anything before you made changes, you just learned your first lesson:

BACKUP
    BACKUP
    BACKUP

What do I mean by Backup? I mean COPY the whole damn partition from the mSD card. Even before you go into Diskwriter to make Backups.

When you use Diskwriter, make sure to backup the savedata first. Of each and every game. THEN backup the games/ROMs. Then you must RESTORE BOTH THE GAME/ROM & THE SAVEDATA.

I have many corrupted savedata from all my pokemon trial and tribulations. Anytime you try a new template or replace the ROM file on the Sky3DS mSD you are breaking the savedata files from the ROM.

Backing up just the savedata is not enough. ALWAYS BACKUP THE ROM AS WELL. If you modified the ROM, restore it back to what it was. Telling an EEPROM YES to pretend to be a NO does not work. Don't do it.

Last edited by Osmosis, Nov 9, 2015
  4. jafanfauzi
    OP

jafanfauzi Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2015
    Indonesia
    Balikpapan
    i did back up those games save game. let me make this clear, i take your advice. i will back up both save game and rom in the future. but dude, there was something really strange about my fire emblem, i never back up the rom, i back up only my save game of FE, delete the rom, back up the save, install the game again, restore, it worked. but not in the day i started this thread, that didnt work. but again, appreciate your advice, thanks!! just make me thinking that GTW is better than SKY3DS, just i cant use it since i have updated my console firmware to 10.

5. j0p3Y

j0p3Y Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2007
    Netherlands
    How do you COPY the partition? By Windows?
    I want to COPY a 32Gb mSD card (barnd: Integral) which seems to be rendered 'less-usefull' because I can't add games to it anymore.
    I can still update the template file though.
    Reformatting to FAT32 doesn't work, deleting games doesn't work etc etc. Commandline format or deleting partition doesn't work.
    I bought a new mSD card (16Gb Sandisk) with the intention to just replicate the 'defective' mSD card.
    But when I put the same game-Roms to the new card (same sequence), and want to add the backupped Savegames, it says it doesn't have the same amount of files.
    And then savegames copying is cancelled.

Any help doing this would be very welcome.