Country
I just did the following

- Formatted the MicroSD, put Zelda: ALBW on it using DiskWriter
- Open the game on N3DS, Save the game
- Back in DiskWriter, Backed up the save
- Reformatted the MicroSD, put the game back on
- Restored the backed up save

Load game - save is GONE?

Is this how it is supposed to "work"? How can I restore the save file? Am I being completely stupid here?

Also, should save games disappear whenever you write another ROM to the MicroSD?

EDIT: tried it a few times more.

OmegaRuby: save restored
Mario Kart 7: save gone
Zelda A Link Between Worlds: save gone

wtf is going on

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a sky3ds, but I remember reading somewhere for the save restore, you have to cycle through your games once for it to load the save. Not sure if that's right, but what I remember.

Ralph1611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the deal with the saving and restoring.

If its a CARD1 type game... you can back it up and write it back on the SAME SD CARD providing that you DIDNT format the card you are writing it back on.

If its a CARD2 type game, you can back it up and write it on any SD card again and the save will be there. I only tested this with Tomodachi Life and it was EEPROM NO....

So im guessing if its EEPROM YES you have to write it back on the same sd card it was played on without it being formatted..

But the backing up works

Reactions: loathsome

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
DiskWriter's savegame backup/restore for EEPROM-YES always sucks.
Sky3DS team doesn't know & doesn't care about fixing this.

The best solution for making Sky3DS saves safer is to convert all ROMs into Sky3DS EEPROM-NO version for Red-button (even you're using Blue-button) - with Sky3DScTool.
With Sky3DS EEPROM-NO version ROMs, you can use the ROM converter - Sky3DScTool's author 一粒米饭07 's save converter - 3DSsavTool.
It's safer and more powerful - you can even import GW saves (which aren't 6.0 encrypted).

Reactions: loathsome

VuuI

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You have to cycle through the games, the way sky works is it loads the save and game onto it's onboard memory from the SD card. cycling through will cause it to load the restored save.

If that doesn't work, remove and re add. worked for me with SSB

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
cycling through all roms and then loading the game up, still doesnt put the save data back :(

seems, once you remove a rom... you can no longer restore save game data back... and have to start all over again!!

Sky3ds need to state this on their site as i bet theres a LOT of angry gamers that use sky3ds and have lost hours of gameplay :(

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It works fine in my case and I have two Sky carts. All you need to do prior to backing up is cycle to the next game so that the save file is transferred to the SD card, that's it. Worst case scenario just backup all the saves instead of individual games.

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
DiskWriter's savegame backup/restore for EEPROM-YES always sucks.
Sky3DS team doesn't know & doesn't care about fixing this.

The best solution for making Sky3DS saves safer is to convert all ROMs into Sky3DS EEPROM-NO version for Red-button (even you're using Blue-button) - with Sky3DScTool.
With Sky3DS EEPROM-NO version ROMs, you can use the ROM converter - Sky3DScTool's author 一粒米饭07 's save converter - 3DSsavTool.
It's safer and more powerful - you can even import GW saves (which aren't 6.0 encrypted).

How do you convert roms into EEPROM-NO ?
wonder if this problem is created if you use trimmed roms...but if dont trim roms, then maybe it saves/restores game saves fine? My roms are trimmed

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
It works fine in my case and I have two Sky carts. All you need to do prior to backing up is cycle to the next game so that the save file is transferred to the SD card, that's it. Worst case scenario just backup all the saves instead of individual games.

hi.... what do you mean please? while wky3ds is in the 3ds... i need to press blue button to go to next rom, them remove sdhc and start diskwriter, and then right click the rom and select backup save?

all i did to check if save data was saved to the card, was play the game... press home, quit to 3ds home screen closing the game. I took out the card, reinserted it, loaded rom back up and game save was still there... but the problem occured when i delete the rom and then write the rom back onto the card again, restore save.... start game, data is gone.
am i supposed to save in game, cycle to next rom...then remove sdhc, back up save and then remove rom. Then when i put rom back on, restore save...and the data will be back?

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
i will go test this theory now...brb

UPDATE>>> Seems to work :) so you save in game, quit to 3ds home screen, press blue button to go to next rom...then you can pop out sdhc, and back up the data and delete rom.

odd that you have to go to next rom for the game backup/restore to work

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
How do you convert roms into EEPROM-NO ?
wonder if this problem is created if you use trimmed roms...but if dont trim roms, then maybe it saves/restores game saves fine? My roms are trimmed
Sky3DScTool
- You can download it from this forum.

3DSsavTool
- You can find it on Filetrip.

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm... i just tried same theory again... played game, quit to 3ds home screen, went to next rom....then deleted the rom without backing up game save.....then replaced rom back, loaded game up and save data is still game :) without the need to backup or restore the data :)
seems what foxi4 said is correct :) ..... that the trick is to just load up next rom before removing card and deleting currently played rom.

Bloodangel

Trophies
XP
Country
so i guess if you play a rom, then go to another rom and play it...and to another and play it.... you can go to any rom and backup saves aslong as it isnt the currently played rom.

i assume the back up all game saves option wouldnt work as this would back up all game saves, even currently played one...which then would cause the same problem as above, where data cant be backed up/restored. So best to do them individually

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i guess if you play a rom, then go to another rom and play it...and to another and play it.... you can go to any rom and backup saves aslong as it isnt the currently played rom.

i assume the back up all game saves option wouldnt work as this would back up all game saves, even currently played one...which then would cause the same problem as above, where data cant be backed up/restored. So best to do them individually

You should be able to back them all up at once the ONLY thing is once you are done playing your last game MAKE SURE to change to another game so that your save is kept correctly.

RoDryBones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Shit, now I know xD. I lost my 12 hours Kingdom Hearts save file, but I guess this will be useful in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...