SKY3DS+ save file structure

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by pookyroo, Mar 1, 2016.

1. pookyroo
    OP

pookyroo Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    Has anyone looked at the save files generated by the new sky3ds plus?

I have some saves dumped from my cartridges with R4i save dongle and I have converted them via diskwriter using backupsave2 for sky3ds plus.

I am thinking of writing some code to convert them without having to use diskwriter.

Basically Sky3ds files have the header info at the front then a load of X'00' then the R4i backup is inserted and afterwards there are a load of X'FF' to pad the file to make up the larger size.

However, at address X'00000200' in the sky3ds+ save there are eight bytes and I don't know where they come from. They are not stored in the corresponding rom file, nor the template file and they are different for each game I have looked at. This must be something the sky team generate within diskwriter.

Has anyone else looked at this or have any ideas how these bytes might be generated?

Last edited by pookyroo, Mar 2, 2016
  2. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by Redferne, Mar 1, 2016
  3. pookyroo
    OP

pookyroo Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    I am sorry but I am not sure which program you mean. The post talks about CIA which I think are eshop games. It also mentions savedatafiler but I think I need a Gateway or a low firmware for that.

4. Redferne

Redferne GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 28, 2015
    If you can't installed a cia and only have access to homebrew svdt should work https://github.com/meladroit/svdt .
    But the problem is the same. Just treat your SKY3DS+ as a cart. Just make sure that the game selected when you launch the save manager is the one you want the save to be injected into.

As for the post I linked go to the first page. I modified the link but it is cia only.

5. dan0f3

dan0f3 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2007
    United States
    OP, I can't answer you, but please update this when you get traction. I have that cart on the way and have been curious about all things to do with it's save structure and process vs the old traditional .SAV files created for DS roms.