Hacking Sky3ds microsd write protected

juan_3579

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember having a similar issue with a Sandisk flash drive and a Sandisk microSD a few years back where both storage devices suddenly write protected themselves. I read somewhere that the flash drive had a firmware issue that caused this, maybe the microSD also has a firmware issue.

I would probably send it in to Sandisk for a replacement microSD or return it and get another one/refund.

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I remember having a similar issue with a Sandisk flash drive and a Sandisk microSD a few years back where both storage devices suddenly write protected themselves. I read somewhere that the flash drive had a firmware issue that caused this, maybe the microSD also has a firmware issue.

I would probably send it in to Sandisk for a replacement microSD or return it and get another one/refund.
Thx for your reply. I just bought a new microSD i started the Sky3ds disktool pressed format and the sd switched into the same state.
I dont know whats the problem?

juan_3579

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thx for your reply. I just bought a new microSD i started the Sky3ds disktool pressed format and the sd switched into the same state.
I dont know whats the problem?

Hmm... Did you try running Diskwriter as Administrator? The only other thing I could think of is that maybe the card reader is faulty, unless if you tried different card readers. Try redownloading the Diskwriter software and right-click Run As Administrator (I'm assuming you already tried this though).

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Hmm... Did you try running Diskwriter as Administrator? The only other thing I could think of is that maybe the card reader is faulty, unless if you tried different card readers. Try redownloading the Diskwriter software and right-click Run As Administrator (I'm assuming you already tried this though).
Yes i run as administrator. I dont really know about the cardreader but i get an error when i try to copy a game. http://pastebin.com/GyiFus1e and an image http://i.imgur.com/iXvX3s9.png.
Hope someone can help.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you using a MicroSD reader or a regular SD reader? If you're using a SD reader make sure the MicroSD adapter lock switch is in the top position, and make sure it isn't being pushed down when you insert it into the reader.
If the lock is alreadyin the top position, it sounds like your reader is faulty. The reader mechanically checks the position of the lock switch so if the mechanical part inside the reader is broken off or out of alignment that could cause it to misread the card as being write locked.
If you're using a MicroSD reader... I have no clue what could be causing that, since MicroSD readers don't have a write protection feature.

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Are you using a MicroSD reader or a regular SD reader? If you're using a SD reader make sure the MicroSD adapter lock switch is in the top position, and make sure it isn't being pushed down when you insert it into the reader.
If the lock is alreadyin the top position, it sounds like your reader is faulty. The reader mechanically checks the position of the lock switch so if the mechanical part inside the reader is broken off or out of alignment that could cause it to misread the card as being write locked.
If you're using a MicroSD reader... I have no clue what could be causing that, since MicroSD readers don't have a write protection feature.
Could someone recommend me a sd reader so i can try a different one?

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have u tried to change de SD-reader?

I was going nuts days ago trying to make the diskrwritter to work on somthing similar.

Hours later i realized it was my microsd adapter that was just broken.

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Thx for all the suggestions! I just ordered a new reader. I will let you know if it will work!

EDIT: Ok i just got my new cardreader and i was able to reformat my sd-card. Now i got another problem, the diskwriter writes the image but after the operation is done the image name changes to the title-id. Pretty weird is when i restart the program the game isn't even written to the sd card. Example: Image. During operation: Image.
The same problem as here
I copied Pokemon X but when starting the game i got an error: The card cannot be used. I checked the CRC value of the game and it seems like it's corrupted. My problem is that even if i format/reformart the sd-card the game keeps popping up in the imagewrite software.

Last edited by Sgoku,

Shadowtrance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Exact same problem i had with my old sd card i used in my sky3ds.
And i found no solution that worked to fix it (get it back to normal, not locked state) other than buying a new sd card and praying it didn't happen again.
This isn't isolated to sky3ds either, seems it can just randomly happen, somehow the card gets hard locked into write protected state and there's no way out of it at all.
You can try as many card readers as you want, it won't make the slightest difference. It will still do exactly as you're describing. :(

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Sounds like your mSD card was junk from the get go.
That's simply not true. I can reformat the sdcard and copy other files on its which is working completely fine. So highly doubt that the sdcard is faulty.

EDIT: As written above i already ordered a new card.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's simply not true. I can reformat the sdcard and copy other files on its which is working completely fine. So highly doubt that the sdcard is faulty.

EDIT: As written above i already ordered a new card.

So the SD is fine but you went ahead and bought another?

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
So the SD is fine but you went ahead and bought another?
As i mention above i'm talking about the new sd-card. I already sent back the old one.

EDIT: I got some progress: I can copy a few games to the sd-card and they get written properly. When I want to start them with the Sky3ds card it says that the card cannot be used. When i write most of the games the Error as mentioned above happens: the name gets replaced with the id and i have to reformat the sd to get it working again. I checked the crc and everything seems fine, also the region is the same.

Sgoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
try a different version
I will try a different rom version when im home.
Another Question: Could the size of the memory card be a problem? At the moment i have 64GB...

EDIT: When i tick verify in the diskwriter it will loop writing the game.

Last edited by Sgoku,

kopgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I will try a different rom version when im home.
Another Question: Could the size of the memory card be a problem? At the moment i have 64GB...

EDIT: When i tick verify in the diskwriter it will loop writing the game.

What brand is the card?

carlos2013

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There should be a tiny switch on the card adapter, flick it in the direction it's not in right now. Then copy the rom over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?