Hacking Sky3DS FlashCard Woes

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

So, I bought a Sky3DS FlashCard from YeahGeek. It arrived in a week, which is great. However, when I insert it into my 3DS, the light doesn't light up at all! I've tried 4 different microSD cards, each with the same region game on them, and none do anything. Do I have a faulty card? Is there something I can do?

I've emailed YeahGeek, and they advised that all cards are tested before dispatch, so I'm worried they won't allow me to send it back. Sky3DS advised I send it back, but having read the posts on this forum, it seemed as though Sky3DS are only the middle men, and don't really know the tech.

Thoughts?

Thanks loads,
Laz

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I assume you mean YeahGeek is the middle man and Sky3DS know the tech

No :) I meant what I said. I've read several reports from people who have contacted Sky3DS and said they felt as though Sky3DS were the promotional front to the actual tech geniuses. I could be wrong, as they were super friendly and prompt.

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you flash the games on with DiskWriter? If so, the cart is faulty and you should return it.

I've tried 4 different microSD cards. 2x 8Gb and 2x 32Gb, all Kingston or SanDisk. I don't think its the microSD's as the Sky3DS doesn't even light up, and everywhere I've read says that it should be...

Thanks

cocoPika

Trophies
Website
sky3dsnewsinformation.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

So, I bought a Sky3DS FlashCard from YeahGeek. It arrived in a week, which is great. However, when I insert it into my 3DS, the light doesn't light up at all! I've tried 4 different microSD cards, each with the same region game on them, and none do anything. Do I have a faulty card? Is there something I can do?

I've emailed YeahGeek, and they advised that all cards are tested before dispatch, so I'm worried they won't allow me to send it back. Sky3DS advised I send it back, but having read the posts on this forum, it seemed as though Sky3DS are only the middle men, and don't really know the tech.

Thoughts?

Thanks loads,
Laz

if the light flash when you out it in?

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The lights don't flash at all, whether I have a microSD card inserted or not. I've tried it in a classic 3DS and it doesn't work in that, either. Same issues.

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So, I've scoured the net and it seems anyone who has any issues at all with Sky3DS have at least seen the lights flash. It seems to me I've got little more than a piece of useless plastic in my hands.

I've contacted Sky3DS again to see if they'll take a look at it for me. YeahGeek are still to respond. It's been over 24 hours, now.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like a broken record...

Format the mSD card in Diskwriter, change template to template0310.txt, then write 1 game EEPROM-YES to mSD. NO ESHOP OR CIA GAMES, ONLY .3DS FULL ROM DUMPS.

Put it in Sky3DS.

Hold blue button while inserting. Wait. Pop out/in, press blue button. Wait. Again, pop out/in see if game appears.

After that, and still no games, or blinking LED you're SOL.

Faulty cart.

First off, you have to format it through Diskwriter just to write games to it. If not, you're SD card isn't formatted properly.

Popping it in multiple 3DSes proves one of two things... either the LED isn't soldered right, or the pcb isn't.

Even when you pop it in the first time the light should blink, then you have to pop it out and back in, and do it one more time... games should appear. Try pressing button a couple times, and on first insert try holding the blue button in while inserting (can be tricky task but it helps)

If the games appear and the led isn't flashing, bad soldering or burnt LED. No games at all... make sure they are .3DS ROMS. prefferbly EEPROM-YES. NO eSHOP OR CIA GAMES OR THE SORT. ONLY .3DS FULL DUMP ROMS.

If nothing happens, and the Sky3DS won't blink or display games, faulty cart.

You have some options from here:

1) Fix it yourself. Open up the cart (carefully) and look for any pins not soldered properly or any burn spots or poorly soldered pins making contact with another.
2) send it back (easier method)
3) Buy another one. (the expensive way)

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, I followed your steps (except the taking apart bit), and still no joy. I don't want to risk taking it apart, as if it's a dodgy chip rather than a dodgy connection, I still run the risk of YeahGeek refusing to exchange it.

I guess all I can do now is wait for YeahGeek to respond. They say they're the best in the industry and claim to have a fantastic support / exchange / no quibbles ethos, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Done that, too. I've tried everything conceivable. However, nothing happens. The blue light NEVER comes on. It seems to me that the cart is simply dead. The folks at Sky3DS seem to agree.

Lazarus1740

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah. It's just trying to get YeahGeek to send me an address to send it to. I told them about it Monday night, and received a response asking for a video showing the problem. That was about 26 hours ago. I've sent them the video and about 3 - 4 follow up emails stating what I've tried since to get the card working, but have had no replies. I'm hoping for a simple "Please post it back to us at the following address ... ". If I do, I'll update you guys. YeahGeek says this on their website :

YeahGeek guarantees safe delivery of your orders. We exchange all damaged items. YeahGeek reimburses return shipping charges.
Contact us for a RMA, within 5 days of delivery, and ship products back via the least expensive method.

There is no address noted anywhere on the site that I can find. I don't mind paying return shipping costs... I just want the working card that I paid for.

If they are true to their word, then I would gladly buy from them again. There are several items they sell that I'd like.

I'll keep you all updated on the saga.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: ModchipCentral

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users