Hacking Sky3DS blue button automatic cycle and save deletion problem

Mkengine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, I have a little problem with some games on my blue button Sky3DS and so far i found nothing regarding this problem on gbatemp, or anywhere else.
My problem is, that some games cycle automatically and i have to press the blue button to stop them, just like in this Q/A:

Q: The roms on my Sky3DS (red button) load for a few seconds then unload and go to the next rom,the card just automatically cycles through every rom I have.What’s wrong with that?
A: For those old SKY3DS(red button) card users, just hold the button for 5 seconds and press “A” to enter that game while its icon to pop up on screen. Please also see more details here."

First of all i dont understand why this happens with the blue button Sky3DS, as this is a problem of the old red button card.
Apparently this isnt dependent on the number or order of Games, but with specific games because I deleted all Games, formatted and wrote just one game to the card (Luigis Mansion 2), thats one of the games that cycled, but it happens all the same;
I see the banner of the game, then nothing and then the banner again.
That also happens with alpha sapphire and some other games, which doesnt change when i write them to the card solely.
Whats worse is that the savestates of some games get deleted when i turn off the 3DS, that happens exclusively to the games that cycle automaitcally, but not to all, in Luigis Mansion my Savestates get always deleted, in Alpha sapphire not.

So the primary problem are the deleted savestates; i could live with the cycling, but its annoying nevertheless.

Is there something I miss, or i could do?

Thanks in advance guys.

immol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same problem here on blue button Sky3ds. Tried three different sandisk 32gb sd cards. Certain dumps always work fine (monster hunter 4) and some don't (Mario land 3d,Fantasy life). I've tried redumping, tried using different template files,I've tried re-formatting with sdformatter.
I can get game to start if I hold blue button for a few seconds, but upon exit of game I lose save (likely because I can no longer jump to next rom, the save is never copied)
Any ideas?

hotdogh2o

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know if this helps I have a blue button and use SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHI-I/Class 10. It doesn't rotate games. It only changes games after each button push. Disk writer 1.70

immol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the response. I have also have 2 SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHI-I/Class 10, same thing happens with both. Monster Hunter 4 and SSBB always work while Mario Land 3d and Kid Icarus never work (all same region). I've tried different versions of diskwriter, tried different rom order, and different 3ds. I'm stumped.

Mkengine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi, I found a partial solution
As I wrote the save wasnt erased with Alpha Sapphire and I think this is because its the only game which says 'eeprom NO' in the diskwriter so I searched gbatemp and found the tool Sky3DScTool_v102_EN which allowed me to convert games from eeprom to nand (don't forget to change the template entry for the specific game).
Now all games I convert save correctly and the saves dont get erased anymore, though the cycling remains, but you can stop at the game you want to play by holding the blue button as immol said.

immol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to exchange card with seller. The solution you posted does work, but I wasn't able to backup and restore saves 100%... Save restore seem to work as long as I do not make changes to the roms on the card. It doesn't seem to work if I format card, and re-write rom and restore save. (get save corrupted error or creating save data message). I may be doing something wrong, but I've given up for now. Thanks

Mkengine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think an exchange wont help, as the save game restore is apparently an issue with the card by itself. When i tried to find a solution for my problem I stumbled upon many threads regarding your problem and the only proper way to restore your save games (after formatting your sd card) seems to be that you have to use the same sd card with the identical order of the games you used when you made your backup; I havent tried it though, but that were the only answers that offered a solution at least.
Or maybe it only works when you dont format your sd card at all, as you said, i dont know.

Hopefully a replacement solves your problem, so please post your experiences when you have your new card.

immol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally received replacement sky3ds today and it works like it should. It no longer auto-cycles through games. It seems the auto-cycling was indeed due to a defective sky3ds.

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally received replacement sky3ds today and it works like it should. It no longer auto-cycles through games. It seems the auto-cycling was indeed due to a defective sky3ds.

Hrm... Button problems? Or just plain PCB issue...??? I wonder...

So you didn't change the mSD and just went right back to playing without any fixes to mSD... ouch.

One thing I've noticed is that the button is cheap. REALLY cheap. Flimsy, small... if not cut or molded juuuust right...

I also have concerns about the hat button it connects to. That's a tight 90 degree squeeze.

Sometimes I fret over pressing the thing at all. So scared my old-man hands are going to break it.

Others that had SD card issues have also reported problems with their USB adapter or hubs. Apparently Diskwriter doesn't like to play with strangers. Or is agoraphobic. Most likely a driver conflict through .NET.

Glad you got it replaced. Remember, most of these are 1st batch blue buttons.

It's simply a matter of time before mine tries to kill me in my sleep.

immol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought maybe the button was broken at first, but it did do it's job on certain games where they always saved and switched fine. Nearly every thing else I dumped would get cycled automatically. Dumps were good (I know because I'm testing them now and they are working good). I suspect it was pcb problems, maybe something with the onboard memory if I were to take an uneducated guess.
I do agree with you about the button, it is cheap and I feel with repeated use it will break :(
Good luck to you!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night