Hacking Skinning problem, M3 Real, image crashing DS

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hidekiadam said:
Hihi

It probably does work in photoshop, somehow, the reduce to 15 bit isn't really needed, but since the DS display is 15 bit it might make the final image look a bit better, try with and without really, lol

As for how to find, I dunno, but in the adjust contrast/brightness tab, -10 brightness and +5 contrast definitely works, you might want to try -6 and +3 or something too, it's just a case of play with those numbers to get the smallest required change that doesn't cause it to crash

You can check the numbers with your ink dropper (?) tool.. (not sure if that's the right name, the one you use to 'pick up' a colour from the image) and it'll show you the colour value for whatever you're hovering over as three numbers 0-255 on each, as long as no number is above 247 (say 239 to be on the safe side if you want) then you should be okay, if you put a bright white pixel somewhere in the image (255/255/255) then you can just check that pixel to be sure you have the right values

I realise it's not ideal but it works, lol

well is either that or not making your image work... lol

239? (edit) ok let me try that. my god. YOU ARE MY HERO!

Hidekiadam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hihi

I was blinking at that for a minute before I realised you meant 239, lol

yeah, 247 should be good enough but 239 gives a bit of margin for error

Incidentally, with a max of 247 your images can be 63/64ths of their full brightness
with 239, 31/32 so it's not really going to be exactly noticable either way

Incidentally, on an unrelated note, stick this file on your DS and look at it with moonshell/built in media thing

dstestimage.gif

It won't look right on the PC but on the DS you should get a fairly readable 80 column font in the top display (and my design for a keyboard with keys big enough for fingers at the bottom)

Should have an SSH client using that out shortly, only slight fly in the ointment is that to get 80 columns, I'm addressing the individual subpixels (to give an effective resolution of 768x192) so the colours look a bit odd, you get greyscale text only but it might be worth it to actually have 80 columns

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That would be pretty cool to have, I don't have moonshell but i'm going to load it. Man the m3 should hire you, and make their product better... lol

topdesktopns1.png

I'm having trouble with this image... It was what I was going going to use for my naruto skin but ran into the "white problem" I already tried your explanation but I can't make it work... can you help me make it loadable?

when looking in the color values in the materials menu, a yellow window pops out and there's an "I:" at the bottom do you know what is it and how to modify it? It gives me a few 255 in that...

Hidekiadam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hihi
ridgecity said:
That would be pretty cool to have, I don't have moonshell but i'm going to load it.
You do, it's the media player that comes with the m3 menu, lol
QUOTE(ridgecity @ Mar 4 2008, 02:30 AM) Man the m3 should hire you, and make their product better... lol
I'd be happy if they'd just open up their source code so I can actually make the menu useful -.-;

Fat chance of that though, I might have to sell the m3 real and buy an acekard rpg so I actually can do that

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hidekiadam said:
Hihi
ridgecity said:
That would be pretty cool to have, I don't have moonshell but i'm going to load it.
You do, it's the media player that comes with the m3 menu, lol
QUOTE(ridgecity @ Mar 4 2008, 02:30 AM) Man the m3 should hire you, and make their product better... lol
I'd be happy if they'd just open up their source code so I can actually make the menu useful -.-;

Fat chance of that though, I might have to sell the m3 real and buy an acekard rpg so I actually can do that

well, it's their loss, I can only help them to make it prettier lol

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh My GOD you got it!!!

do you remember what steps you followed? I tried like 15 times and never got it.

and how can you nail exactly that 236 top value in Paint Shop Pro??

I followed the steps you posted previously and did not work...

Hidekiadam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hihi

well, as I said, brightness -15, contrast 0, the results vary depending on the image though

the value (239, actually 255-16, 247 being 255-8) depends a lot on the source image, if you set a white pixel before you adjust it (255,255,255) then you can look at that value afterwards to make sure it's right

-15 brightness and 0 contrast will always convert 255,255,255 to 239,239,239
-10 brightness and -5 contrast will also always convert 255,255,255 to 239,239,239

What looks best depends on the image, you really need to play about and get the best looking results but the two sets of numbers I mention above will work on any image

Hidekiadam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hihi

It's up to 12? good grief

the weight thing isn't important, it just means that the important parts (faces etc.) look better when reduced to 256 colours

If you want I can put PSP 7 online and you could use that one instead, given that's exactly what I'm using

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now I can get to finish like 7 skins I've had lol. Well If I can get them to work lol!

thanks a lot for your math! I'll see you later and thanks again!

Hidekiadam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hihi

Ahh, I'm just working on the skin I was working on when I started

Trying to do glass buttons which is easier said than done -.-

Oh well, we'll see what it's like when it's done, tomorrow most likely, heh

If you do want the PSP7 then send me a PM on here and I'll upload it and provide a URL, I actually pondered writing a little tool to do the correction for you but having looked into the BMP header it would seem that there's loads of different versions of it I'd have to deal with so I didn't, lol

Hidekiadam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Heh, firstly I had already supplied a working image

Secondly, if you read the entire thread, particularly my posts explaining what the problem is, you'll see why what you've suggested will not work

gangsterboi

Trophies
Website
www.europe-nintendo.com
XP
Country
mine is having the same problem....
Heres the skin in rar compression.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P676FTPG

Sorry its in megaupload

Also does anyone now how to change the text color?

Here's images of TOP_DESKTOP and DESKTOP if you don't want to download the file;

What do you thinks the problem every time i load it the top desktop flashes then everything goes black.

I did the brighten and contrast thing it just didn't work please help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30