Situation(s) from your Workplace/Job

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Let us hear from unfair Supervisors/Bosses/Employees/Customers/toxic Workplace Behavior......
Or nice Stories/Experiences too of course.

Please avoid sexual "Content" and (Work) Abuses of any Kind/in any Way,
for this you must seek professional Help !!

Let your Frustration or Joy run free,but try to stay Objective,please.:)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Random manager training actually prevented me from doing something extremely stupid. Back in 2018, I broke up with my abuser and his boyfriend, which is also the time when I was working overnights at Walmart as a member of the Modular Change Team (the people who move the store around at night,) and as a backup CSM (customer service manager.) During one of those nights, I had recently taken my annual manager training course before starting my task for that night. While I was working, my abusers came to my work and started talking to me about their plans for when they were going to move out of my apartment and stuff. They also informed me that they bought lunch for me and I could stop by the apartment if I wanted and eat lunch there. I was pretty happy because that meant I wouldn't have to buy a lunch that night and I also didn't really enjoy eating my lunch at work. So I was actually considering going back to my old apartment to take them up on that offer since they were being so nice. While I was working, I randomly remembered part of my training that I went through and the part about evaluating employees. I am going to paraphrase but it said something like, "When evaluating an employee, don't focus on the experiences you just had with them. Take a moment to look at their job performance as a whole and focus on those experiences before making an evaluation." I spent a minute thinking that over and realize that's actually pretty good life advice and applied directly to the situation I found myself in. My abusers used to corner me while I was on lunch and that often resulted in me either not being able to return to work or returning late/unable to work. I was literally about to walk into a trap and I almost let one good experience cloud my judgment. I ended up staying at work that night and buying lunch, I didn't message them nor even talk to them about why I made my choice to not stop by on my lunch. That random bit of training stopped me from walking right into a trap and I am actually grateful for that.

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I work in a pharmacy as a Technician (I basically just run a register and count pills all day)

When we started giving COVID vaccines, I was in charge of filling out the vaccination cards and directing people to the vaccination stations so they could get their shots. I had a guy come up to me and get really mad at me for "giving people the liberal mind control shot." I told him that I didn't give the shot, I just fill out cards. I had to sit and listen to him go on about his crazy conspiracy theories while a long line of people built up behind him. Eventually, he asked me "So, where do I need to go to get my shot?"

I made the mistake of asking "Why are you getting your shot if it's just mind control?" and then he said I was forcing him to because I "voted for Biden". I didn't vote for anyone in the last election because I couldn't, but I guess it's really obviously that I'm a raging libtard. He asked to speak to my manager, and my manager is technically the pharmacist. I wasn't about to give him the chance to hold us up even more, so I went and got the store manager, and told her we needed to get him out of here. After the guy yelled at the manager with the same conspiracy theory, the manager had to threaten to call the police because he was causing a public nuisance. He ended up leaving, not before condemning the store. Probably the worst experience I have had so far.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Video/Team "Conversations".

For the actual Situation I find it very annoying.
My actual Job is a very social one and lives from personal Contacts/Exchange of Experiences.

I have tried to avoid this "Video Thing" since 2020 but now,I have to do it....must do it.
Since there are still no Solutions for Job´s Further Education (and I need a certain minimum Amount of "Continuing Education Hours" per Year,Corona is no Excuse according to Law) I am not very happy,to sit around 3 Hours per Meeting (and listen to this very "unpersonal" Talkings per Video......)

:(

Reactions: smallissue

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi. My name's Taleweaver. I am, or at least I feel I am, the equivalent of the hand of the king in IT matters.

...unfortunately, having that be an official title would be cool. As it is, I'm just support (I forgot my real title...though it IS a funny fact I've got the longest title on the business flowchart :P ).

Small example: a few days ago, I got a ticket requesting assistance with "something with <store>'s wifi". I don't do wifi and have never been to this store, but I'm one of the few people who isn't clueless in my company. So I respond they should contact <external company> at <phone number> for this. I don't know much about this external company, aside they do the wifi in the stores.
I remember asking EXPLICITLY whether or not it was everything they'd take care of. Back then the answer was yes. Everything. All I needed to transfer was the phone. And this was the first (or perhaps second) time I had to give out this number.

Two days later I got a mail from my boss. Apparently the company couldn't help, so I had to intervene to investigate what was going on.
Note that I don't NOT do wifi. I don't do the network either. That's another colleague of mine. Which also falls under my boss. And who wasn't even informed.

So...here I am, apparently an expert on a wifi network from a company I only know by name, in a store I've never seen, and on a problem that's only vaguely described.

:angry:

Reactions: Alexander1970
D

Deleted User

I've mentioned before that I grew up in Sydney - Australia, but I definitely was not born there.

One time my parent got a call from an acquaintance that some relatively-unknown Studio needed authentic children voices, playing and speaking in her national tongue. So she took my sibling and I there to help them out.

I recorded some Audio and took in my first experience of being inside a Recording Studio, with those large fancy Screens with Lights that cue you into the Picture. After the day was done, we went back home and a few months later I got a cheque in the mail.

Alongside membership to the Australian Actors Guild.

Apparently, I was recording Audio for a Movie.
It went on to win Best Film, Best Achievement in Sound and Best Achievement in Costume Design.

I didn't get my name in the Credits, but I'm happy to do my part helping out for that second Award.

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't say I have really had any unfair things; I have been self employed since the start (mainly as I found myself unemployable otherwise) and I am usually the one called in to solve problems. Had a few run ins with sales and art types (generally we have radically different notions on how the world works) but nothing more than mildly amusing as I seem to be really aggravating to such people, and I am the one still called back years later.
As a general rule I don't deal with the general public and pick clients according to how good they are (haven't had to fire one yet though, churn tends to be them dropping off the radar or this mortal coil).

Sometimes the clients don't understand physics, difficulty of tasks or the laws regulating what they are trying to do, however as that is literally why I am there and I am there of my own free will essentially doing them a favour (and again they are selected ahead of time) then it is usually not so bad.
There are times where I have to knuckle down and do boring things (data entry, unpacking new orders) but it does not happen often enough to really bother me; sometimes boring and tedious stuff just needs to be done and as long as it remains sometimes then just another problem to be solved and I solve problems.

So if they can't threaten my financial security that leaves physical and social. I don't mix work with pleasure (not that anybody there would believe lies spread, and it would have to be lies) and physical... yeah while not necessarily the tallest in any given crowd I still hit my head on lights/doorframes, my shoulders are broad enough that I have not been able to find a shirt that is not a billowing dress I can do the top button up on since I was about 13 and the rest of me generally matches that whilst being very light on my feet and not so easy to intimidate... a few have tried it (usually people that try to run a place by fear, me being called in at the behest of their bosses but them not necessarily knowing that) but that lasted as long as a laugh and "what?".

Nice experiences. Always nice to understand a new bit of kit, learn a new toyol, fix something or see something roll out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.