Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikenkami

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am stuck a step 5 "restoring slabheap backup", did it took you time to go through that step?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello!
In recent days, there have been many developments within the 3DS homebrew community, with one of them being kernel access! With this, we now have a way to downgrade 3DSs and do whatever we want with kernel on >=9.3 3DSs. What's that? You want to downgrade? Well then, here's how...

PLEASE NOTE: JP N3DS Users, you'll need to remove the 000400102002CA00 in order to not get bricked! Not sure if other regions need to do this as well.

ALSO NOTE: Note: So far NO ONE HAS BRICKED THEIR 3DS FROM THIS. HOWEVER, I AM STILL NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR 3DS BRICKS. If it does, I'm sorry, but it is NOT my fault.

Before beginning, remove any DNSs (like Tubehax) that you may have on your 3DS. This can interfere with the downgrading process.
  1. Grab the sysUpdater app from here and place it into the '3ds' folder of your SD card.
  2. Make a folder called 'updates' on the root of your SD card.
  3. Place all of the CIAs for the update you wish to downgrade to into the folder. (I cannot link these for legal purposes. Sorry!)
  4. Eject your SD card, put it into your 3DS, and boot.
  5. Open up the Homebrew Launcher in your entrypoint of choice and start the sysUpdater app.
  6. If everything goes well, you should have some options. Since we're downgrading, you can go ahead and press the Y button.
  7. Wait and DO NOT touch anything. The app will tell you when it is done. (It took me less than 5 minutes)
  8. Once the app prompts you that it is done, wait. It will reboot automatically.
  9. Bite your fingernails in suspense. If everything goes correct...
  10. Your 3DS will be downgraded! :D
COMMON PROBLEMS:
Issue: The app freezes at a certain step!
Solution: Try a different entrypoint. I was using Ironhax and got this problem, so I switched to OoT3DHax and it worked.

Issue: The prompt comes on screen, but nothing happens when I press a button!
Solution: Either wait a few moments or reboot the system and try again.

Issue: I downgraded, but my 3DS screen is completely black upon reboot!
Solution: Try removing the SD card, or you can reboot into recovery mode.

(please recommend any other issues and solutions to add here please!)
CREDITS:
  • @Steveice10, @TuxSH, @julian20, @mid-kid, @delebile, and @MassExplosion213 and @motezazer for working on memchunkhax2.
  • Note: So far NO ONE HAS BRICKED THEIR 3DS FROM THIS. The only person who actually bricked his 3DS could have recovered it by entering safe mode, but he had the TubeHax DNS and so it didn't allowed him to update.
  • profi200 for sysUpdater, and @TuxSH for getting it to work for properly downgrading.
  • @JustPingo for various research efforts and for the upcoming KTM, a safer way to do this.
You say no one has bricked their 3DS but then you mention one person that bricked his. So which is it? And how did he manage to brick his? Until you answer that question I don't think this thread should exist as the last thing we need on this forum are more people bricking their 3DSes.

Edit: And there is a way around the tubehax DNS. Change the router SSID (or make a temporary mobile hotspot) to one of the homepass ones, like NZ@McD and it'll autoconnect to that without needing the connection to be set up.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: d4mation

Coleman_C18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say no one has bricked their 3DS but then you mention one person that bricked his. So which is it? And how did he manage to brick his? Until you answer that question I don't think this thread should exist as the last thing we need on this forum are more people bricking their 3DSes.
It was a softbrick, he used recoverymode to fix it.

Genm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone just put the file in a twitter account or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans