Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBreaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Here is a link to JAWS_XS video from the last page at that point:

I wasn't trying to embed, 1m38s in odd.

So it looks like it does. They were on a n3ds however, not sure if that makes any difference although I would think not.

Oh, thanks. I'm on O3DS but that probably means my NATIVE_FIRM wasn't downgraded correctly :(

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, the issue with that is that Settings will tell you it's the correct version even if NATIVE_FIRM hasn't been written to correctly.

TBreaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ah, the issue with that is that Settings will tell you it's the correct version even if NATIVE_FIRM hasn't been written to correctly.
Thanks!
Then everything should be fine, in my settings I have 9.2 again. Even though rxTools still won't install :angry:
Maybe I just failed to see the "Installed" behind NATIVE_FIRM.

Attachments

• 20160106_104945.jpg
    20160106_104945.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 153

NCorp.

Trophies
Website
ncorpsshack.blogspot.in
XP
Country
India
Hey guys, I have a few questions, Pls answer them :-
  • So I downgraded my 3DS using @julian20's sysupdater from 10.3 to 9.2 successfully - worked on first try - didn't have to remove SD Card ( O3DS XL )
  • It proper downgrade because I installed rxTools and set up emunand successfully - even updated emunand to 10.3
  • However I have been in doubt on whether to unlink my NAND's
  • Will I retain my NNID on sysnand or emunand if I format my sysnand to unlink nand's
  • What .cia installer is the best one I should use
  • I return to sysnand everytime I access setting app on emunand and close it - is this normal
  • My previous MenuHax doesn't work on 9.2 - is this normal
  • What do you think - should I unlink my nands
  • Any other steps to make my 3DS awesome

NCorp.

Trophies
Website
ncorpsshack.blogspot.in
XP
Country
India
Thanks!
Then everything should be fine, in my settings I have 9.2 again. Even though rxTools still won't install :angry:
Maybe I just failed to see the "Installed" behind NATIVE_FIRM.
Did you try to launch rxTools multiple times?
I had to try for almost 10 times to get it to work for the first time

regigiygas

??? bees maybe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another question:
after i get the error, do i NEED to reboot my 3ds or can i just B out of sysUpdater and go into it again & try?

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I have a few questions, Pls answer them :-
  • So I downgraded my 3DS using @julian20's sysupdater from 10.3 to 9.2 successfully - worked on first try - didn't have to remove SD Card ( O3DS XL )
  • It proper downgrade because I installed rxTools and set up emunand successfully - even updated emunand to 10.3
  • However I have been in doubt on whether to unlink my NAND's
  • Will I retain my NNID on sysnand or emunand if I format my sysnand to unlink nand's
  • What .cia installer is the best one I should use
  • I return to sysnand everytime I access setting app on emunand and close it - is this normal
  • My previous MenuHax doesn't work on 9.2 - is this normal
  • What do you think - should I unlink my nands
  • Any other steps to make my 3DS awesome

How it works is that now you do everything through emunand. You won't retain your NNID but you are free to relink it afterwards. FBI is the cia installer of choice. Being dumped back to sysnand when you look at settings in emunand is normal, it resets the system at that point and when it reads the data again it reads it from sysnand. When you switched themes you got rid of Menuhax, you would need to access homebrew via Browserhax etc, and then re-install Menuhax using the Menuhax Installer included in the latest starter pack on smea's site. Choice is yours.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

another question:
after i get the error, do i NEED to reboot my 3ds or can i just B out of sysUpdater and go into it again & try?

I have heard of someone using the shortcut [L + R + Down + B wasnt it?] to jump back out and try again, It seemed to work ok for them, that said I have no verification that it's ok.

Last edited by Santaros,

regigiygas

??? bees maybe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard of someone using the shortcut [L + R + Down + B wasnt it?] to jump back out and try again, It seemed to work ok for them, that said I have no verification that it's ok.
i can give that a try! will update

it's the B part that puts you back at the homebrew menu, just pressing that does the trick
(but only if there's text, if the sysUpdater doesnt start up, a reboot is needed)

that's what i've found out :c

Last edited by regigiygas,

NCorp.

Trophies
Website
ncorpsshack.blogspot.in
XP
Country
India
How did you launch it and which guide did you follow?
I followed this guide https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/unread

How it works is that now you do everything through emunand. You won't retain your NNID but you are free to relink it afterwards. FBI is the cia installer of choice. Being dumped back to sysnand when you look at settings in emunand is normal, it resets the system at that point and when it reads the data again it reads it from sysnand. When you switched themes you got rid of Menuhax, you would need to access homebrew via Browserhax etc, and then re-install Menuhax using the Menuhax Installer included in the latest starter pack on smea's site. There are good reasons to unlink emunand, for example you cannot update emunand to the latest FW if you don't unlink, it will update sysnand as well, choice is yours.

But I said above I updated emunand to 10.3, my sysnand is still on 9.2

Reactions: TBreaker

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
Did a bit more research it looks like the main reason to unlink sys and emunand is that is messes with your ability to access eShop on emunand if you don't.

Santaros

Trophies
XP
Country
I successfully downgraded, but how I reinstall the hacks ?

I would recommend looking up a guide for installing CFW, I used this one and it worked well for me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-complete-custom-firmware-guide.396349/

The gist of it is that you would use Browserhax to access homebrew and then install whatever you like, see my post above for a little more info on that. If Browserhax won't work try going into the browser settings and wiping all the data, cookies, history etc and try again.

Last edited by Santaros,

EridiumMiner

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would recommend looking up a guide for installing CFW, I used this one and it worked well for me: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-complete-custom-firmware-guide.396349/

The gist of it is that you would use Browserhax to access homebrew and then install whatever you like, see my post above for a little more info on that. If Browserhax won't work try going into the browser settings and wiping all the data, cookies, history etc and try again.

I have the latest version of browserhax (used previously with 10.3) but seems it won't work on 9.2

EDIT: works lol

Last edited by EridiumMiner,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so formatting the 3DS seems to be the proper way to not bricking it when downgrading. but how to get my content (the most important are the saves) back to the newly formatted and downgraded 3DS? simple copy and paste won't work as there is a new AES key used to encrypt the new formatted 3DS. so I have to save them using homebrew before the format, right?

regigiygas

??? bees maybe
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's still giving me the same error and i've retried so many times, i'm so frustrated

is there anything i should've done to prepare my ds? i backed everything up beforehand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs