skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi,

is there a site similar to gbatemp that discusses all the options for backing up PS2 games?

thanks.

squirt1000

Would rather have a cup of Tea!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What do you need to know? Most peeps here have probably owned a modded ps2 so should be able to answer any questions
wink.gif
Fire away!!
biggrin.gif

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, thanks.

I don't want to mod my ps2 so I'm thinking about getting Swap Magic 3.6 with the slide key thing. My computer has a DVD burner with dual layer write capabilites. With DVD Decrypter software and some blank DVDs, I'm in business right?

Couple of questions:

Is Swap Magic with the slide key a safe, reliable option? Is it gauranteed to work? I have a first-gen ps2.

Is writing a dual layer DVD tricky? How many ps2 games are actually dual layer? Is there an official list?

Do you know a reliable online store that sells swap magic?

Thanks

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cool, thanks.

I don't want to mod my ps2 so I'm thinking about getting Swap Magic 3.6 with the slide key thing. My computer has a DVD burner with dual layer write capabilites. With DVD Decrypter software and some blank DVDs, I'm in business right?

Couple of questions:

Is Swap Magic with the slide key a safe, reliable option? Is it gauranteed to work? I have a first-gen ps2.

Is writing a dual layer DVD tricky? How many ps2 games are actually dual layer? Is there an official list?

Do you know a reliable online store that sells swap magic?

Thanks

1) Yes thats all you need, besides a mod of some sort.

2) There are some compatibility issues with the swap magic, but if you have an old PS2 you may want to consider HDLoader, with Broadband adaptor and a HDD, saves on discs and loads a bit quicker.

3) With a Swap Magic you can't load DL games, but some don't actually have that much data on (24 the game had 3GB of data on a DL disc
huh.gif
) and can be remade, others can be ripped easily enough and the rest either aren't so easy or can't be done successfully.

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there third party network adapters? as for teh HD, I'd need one that hooks up via ethernet ports? I have a 160 gig USB one but I guess I cant use it...although I know the PS2 has 2 usb ports

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you've got a back up ISO, is it tough to convert it to the appropriate format for the HD?

how do dual layer games run on the HD?

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
all you have to do is put the ps2 game on your HD and rip the game using dvd decrypter to get a ISO

you load the iso up into your hardrive using a program (i forgot the name)

then you use HD Loader to run the game

what you need is the modified hacked HD Loader that goes on your memory card

cuase the retail hd loader sucks

compatiabity is good i can play god of war 2 on it :-)

i have a extra ps2 ethernet adapter i might put it up for sale

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for hijacking this topic but I just spent the whole day backing up my PS2 ISOs I burnt onto a spare HDD for fiuture use.

Then I got thinking of using the HDloader solution but the thing is I only have the slimine PS2. I saw case like this:

http://www.modchipfitters.com/index.php?ma...products_id=151

And hopefully this means I don't have to connect to USB but is this still recommended?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That will let you connect a hdd normally and use it just like you would on a original style ps2. How ever it does not fit all slimlines , only v12 & 13. The ones after that have the solder points removed , so you would need to check your version.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That will let you connect a hdd normally and use it just like you would on a original style ps2. How ever it does not fit all slimlines , only v12 & 13. The ones after that have the solder points removed , so you would need to check your version.
Maybe I'm being a horrible cheap bastard but after spending money on a spare HDD and soon that case, I was wondering if a copy of HDloader/HDadvance that I found for download on a torrent works with on my modchipped PS2 to run games from a HDD?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Maybe I'm being a horrible cheap bastard but after spending money on a spare HDD and soon that case, I was wondering if a copy of HDloader/HDadvance that I found for download on a torrent works with on my modchipped PS2 to run games from a HDD?

It should work, so long as the PS2 will boot it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Veho, let @AncientBoi fix it +1