Valiarchon

trentacles
OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
I'm just wondering if anyone is interested in collaborating on a translation project for this? I can handle the actual translation itself, but I have absolutely no idea about the rest of what is involved =] so any hackers etc out there interested, please let me know.

Also, i do recall reading a while back that it was difficult to hack this game or something along those lines, so I don't know what bearing that would have on this. Anyway, I loved playing this game in japanese, although due to lack of space on my card at the time I never finished it. So I would really enjoy working towards a localisation of this game. ^^

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
I’m interested, though I have several other projects and can’t devote much time to this. Despite the supposed difficulty, I looked at it and managed to locate the text. Then I tried a search on here and found that it had already been located. >.>

Anyway, quick rundown is that the game assets are definitely modifiable. All we’re lacking really is an ARM hack to change the text display routines, and possibly a few other smaller things. I’m not claiming any of this is easy - but it’s doable. Naysayers will always say nay but real people just get shit done.

I think this would be a long, difficult project, would probably take a good year or two to get perfect. Still want to do it?

Here are some other folk who we may be able to recruit who showed interest in previous threads:

Translation:
octavius

Programmers:
AshenPhoenix
NetShira
Noitora

Translators are rare, but programmers are common. If you think you’ve got the dedication to translate several hundred pages of Japanese text over and over until they’re perfect, post here and we’ll try to get started. Think about it carefully first, and let us know.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Nah.

Enough time you can learn anything with little effort and no smarts. (warning - you might die first)
Enough effort and you can learn anything with little intelligence in no time.
Enough smarts and you can learn anything with a little time and no effort.

Having more than one just makes it better
happy.gif

Valiarchon

trentacles
OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Well I'm always on the lookout for additional things to do since I dont sleep very much (usually about 10 hours a week) so something like this is actually a godsend for me =P

As far as the translation being impossible, if there is anything I have difficulty with, I have many, many people to ask/confirm with, since I've exchanged in japan before, and still maintain contact with the people there. Also being a uni student, there are those people to ask.

Anyway, anyone willing/able to be involved and help out continue to post. Tempus if you've managed to locate the text/grab it from elsewhere I can start working on a translation straight away. I do realise this will take a long time thanks to the huge amount of text, but as you've said, its not impossible, so I'm definitely willing to undertake this project.

Valiarchon

trentacles
OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
2 years is about the duration of the remainder of my current degree; finishing up in time to begin my masters would be ideal really, so this works out well if that's the case.

TempusC

Trophies
Website
www.FatalFrame4.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I don’t have an extractor yet. But we should get things setup. gbatemp is no place for serious development - My favourite stomping grounds is on IRC, which is great for real time collaboration and social groups. Many people seem to be intimidated by it, though, so we can easily go by mail or I can set up a forum on my server or whatnot.

Let me know. Best for a project to have consistent contact between members, or everything starts falling apart.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I requested this a long time ago thats when the text files where uncovered the problem with this game is its very text heavy so nothing really came of it at the time but I would be quite happy to see if something took off now as the game itself still interests me, there were a few people interested in translating it at the time but they just simply didn't have the time to do so

Valiarchon

trentacles
OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Well whichever you would like to use I'm happy to go along. I can use irc, but I think perhaps a google based site, or wiki or similar would be useful for translation collaboration. Anyway, I'll pm you my email for easy contact too.

Valiarchon

trentacles
OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
I just found this after a little time browsing, if someone is able to contact them about it, we could gain a lot of useful information - http://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...1LEyFpO2sSkM2yA (It's translated to english so its easier for general people here to read)

*edit* Oops sorry about the double post. Didn't even notice =\

Valiarchon

trentacles
OP
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
Okay after some more digging around, I've managed to unpack that .cpk file (kudos to the various people who have already worked on this and left a trail for me to follow)

Gonna probably work on this solo for the time being, since everyone is busy with other projects.

AshenPhoenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Unfortunatly I'm not good enough to do any programming/hacking for this game but as TempusC noted I've shown interest in this game and looked into it a lot.

Anyone who actually wants to work on it should read my old sigma Harmonics thread
where I managed to uncompress text, change it, repack it and successfully run the game.

The reason why I stopped looking into it is because any decent translation would need a textbox hack to make text horizontal instead of vertical, which is
far more than I can accomplish since I have almost no knowledge of asm programming on any platform.

So while I can't help more than I have, atleast I would appreciate any effort to do it and cheer it on.

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
good luck valiarchon I mean VALIARCHON in translating sigma harmonics. I just wanna thank ya 4 gona translating the game cause its hard work and well thanks.

reirun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
Guess i'm doing wrong bumping and refreshing that topic, but i'm curious if Valiarchon still tries to do something with impossibilities.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Boo I thought that was a rejection comment