Shutter Island

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
6,647
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Riviera
XP
138
Country
Belgium
I'm surprised there's no topic about this yet
ohmy.gif


Well, anyways, I went to the cinema yesterday with my family to see Shutter Island, the newest film by Martin Scorcese. I have to say, I didn't expect it was going to be so incredibly good, after watching a trailer I thought 'Hey, that could be a fun film, I might watch it sometime', and I'm happy I did. It's one of the best films I've seen in quite a while.

The story: two cops get sent to an island to investigate the case of a runaways patient of a mental hospital located on the island. Lots of things happen. You never know if what you're seeing is either reality, a dream, a hallucination, a flashback, etc. The open ending also makes you doubt whether it was all a lie or not, which is really good. I love it when I can't just say something happened, and when you can discuss the meaning of the scene afterwards.

The actors, the most well-known one being Leonardo DiCaprio, put down an amazing performance. They must've had a very hard time getting into the characters and the mindfuck story.

Most of the music is eerie, but it fits the film very well.

Overall, it's a must watch, if you haven't yet, do it now!
 

BORTZ

The Amazing
Supervisor
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
13,161
Trophies
2
Age
32
Location
Pittsburgh
XP
14,707
Country
United States
yeah its freaking trippy. Also i felt like i was thrilled the whole way through.

Spoiler is actually spoiler.

I was so mindfucked when he was all straightened out at the end. And then he slipped again.
frown.gif

Btw his wife was a babe
smileipb2.png
 
D

Deleted User

Guest
Hoverlord Nadrian said:
... I have to say, I didn't expect it was going to be so incredibly good, after watching a trailer I thought 'Hey, that could be a fun film, I might watch it sometime', and I'm happy I did ...
That's exactly what happened to me, too. I absolutely wasn't expecting a movie that emotional or even psychological, after I watched the trailer--which really didn't do it any justice. The ending was also very unexpected, to say the least.
 
C

cloudspear

Guest
BortzANATOR said:
yeah its freaking trippy. Also i felt like i was thrilled the whole way through.

Spoiler is actually spoiler.

I was so mindfucked when he was all straightened out at the end. And then he slipped again.
frown.gif

Btw his wife was a babe
smileipb2.png

He was still normal at the end. He just said that crazy shit so they will kill him. He didn't want to live anymore
 

BORTZ

The Amazing
Supervisor
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
13,161
Trophies
2
Age
32
Location
Pittsburgh
XP
14,707
Country
United States
cloudspear said:
BortzANATOR said:
yeah its freaking trippy. Also i felt like i was thrilled the whole way through.

Spoiler is actually spoiler.

I was so mindfucked when he was all straightened out at the end. And then he slipped again.
frown.gif

Btw his wife was a babe
smileipb2.png

He was still normal at the end. He just said that crazy shit so they will kill him. He didn't want to live anymore
How can you be sure?
 

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2009
Messages
1,993
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
Hamilton, New Zealand
XP
238
Country
New Zealand
I work in the cinemas myself, i havent yet seen it, but from customers ive heard mixed reviews....
Some people come out adoring the movie saying how great it was, and some come out saying it was crap and blah blah, like its my problem or something >_>

So im guessing its a love or hate movie?
 

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
OP
Banned
Joined
Jul 28, 2008
Messages
6,647
Trophies
0
Age
27
Location
Riviera
XP
138
Country
Belgium
outgum said:
I work in the cinemas myself, i havent yet seen it, but from customers ive heard mixed reviews....
Some people come out adoring the movie saying how great it was, and some come out saying it was crap and blah blah, like its my problem or something >_>

So im guessing its a love or hate movie?
People that don't like it are stupid.

I'm not joking, it's because they don't understand the deeper meaning behind every scene in the film, they only see what's happening on the screen, if you get what I mean.

I think you're smart, so you'll love it.
 

Sefi

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2005
Messages
311
Trophies
0
XP
331
Country
BortzANATOR said:
cloudspear said:
BortzANATOR said:
yeah its freaking trippy. Also i felt like i was thrilled the whole way through.

Spoiler is actually spoiler.

I was so mindfucked when he was all straightened out at the end. And then he slipped again.
frown.gif

Btw his wife was a babe
smileipb2.png

He was still normal at the end. He just said that crazy shit so they will kill him. He didn't want to live anymore
How can you be sure?

“is it better to live a monster or die as a good man?” reveals he's so guilt-ridden that he wants the surgery so he can just forget everything that happened. He knows they will do the surgery if he "resets" thus he goes right up to the doctor and calls him Chuck.
 

Arm73

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2006
Messages
2,046
Trophies
0
Location
Switzerland
XP
587
Country
Italy
Overlord Nadrian said:
outgum said:
I work in the cinemas myself, i havent yet seen it, but from customers ive heard mixed reviews....
Some people come out adoring the movie saying how great it was, and some come out saying it was crap and blah blah, like its my problem or something >_>

So im guessing its a love or hate movie?
People that don't like it are stupid.

I'm not joking, it's because they don't understand the deeper meaning behind every scene in the film, they only see what's happening on the screen, if you get what I mean.

I think you're smart, so you'll love it.


I think I'm smart, so now I have to watch this !!!!!!!!! ( Detective Gumshoes expression on my face ).
Jokes aside , I never trust people when it comes to movie recommendations, generally speaking , people don't know shit and can't really appreciate something complex and with a strange ending, they most likely expect the standard Hollywood big budget fare on this kind of movie...but this is Scorzese we are talking about here......expect the unexpected and be prepared to watch it several times before truly appreciate it......I might go to see it tonight if the IMAX Alice is sold out...
wink.gif
 

DopplerEffective

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
15
Trophies
0
Age
30
Location
Ontario, Canada
Website
www.thestarwarsrp.com
XP
21
Country
Canada
Sadly I guessed the ending from watching one of the trailers. That being said, the movie was well done. It just lost almost all of it's 'thriller' aspect when I knew the ending.

Overlord Nadrian said:
Yeah, you can never be sure, that's what makes it so good. It's just a matter of how you interpret it.
As far as I know, there is an official, concrete ending. How you, personally, decide to take it is completely within your own right.
To me, personally, the fact that he asked Dr. Sheehan if he thinks it would be worse to live as a monster or die as a good man is evidence that he fully knows what he has done and who he is, but has decided to forfeit to live in a permanent delusion.
 

soulfire

gear... secando
Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
583
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
rotterdam
Website
Visit site
XP
133
Country
Netherlands
i normally don't double post but...

that movie was AWSOME the story was just in one word genius i recommend this to everyone that loves a movie with deep story's (it's also a bit scary
tongue.gif
)
 

Xtreme2damax

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
16
Trophies
0
XP
50
Country
United States
From the moment I saw the preview I was like, "Yup, now that's my kind of movie". I'll probably wait until it's out on DVD or Blu-Ray though if it isn't already.
 

xangelinax

Well-Known Member
Newcomer
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
57
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
in imagination land
XP
133
Country
Watched this the other night, it was totally messed up but in a really awesome way. It going to be one of those movies that you watch a few times and catch new meanings of things that are being said or done.
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
    TheLiamChannel @ TheLiamChannel: CAN YOU SHARE IT AROUD THEN?