Gaming Should we be worried?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Obviously the GBA was popular when you compare it to a phone with no games (I like the N-Gage's design but it had next to no support from developpers). But compared to the likes of the Game Boy or the DS, it did kinda poorly.
I'm afraid that I'll have to disagree on the basis of the life cycle length and something I call "revision relevance".

The Game Boy line spawned four revisions (Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Colour), the last being the Game Boy Colour and its life cycle spanned between 1989 and until 2001 (technically discontinued in 2003, more on that later) - that's 12 years, and on top of that, users had good reasons to update to the Game Boy Colour - exclusive games and a colour display not only allowing to play new games in colour but also the oldies by attaching palettes.

The GBA on the other hand only had three revisions - the GBA, the GBA SP and the somewhat gimmicky GBA Micro which had no lasting appeal to the broad audience with a life cycle between 2001 and 2004 (technically discontinued in 2008, more on that later) - that's only 3 years. On top of that, users had absolutely no reason to upgrade other than their fancy - no new features were introduced with the revisions other than the backlight.

It's also worth to mention that once upgrading from the GB/GBC to the GBA or from the GBA to the NDS, the need for the previous system was automatically gone due to backwards compatibility so I'm going to equate the release of the next line as the "death" of the old one. Whatever was sold from that point onwards were merely stragglers.

As you can see, there are good reasons why the Game Boy line sold 118 million units and the Game Boy Advance sold 81, but once you put the time factor into place, you realize that the Game Boy sold 9,8 million units yearly while the Game Boy Advance sold 27 million units yearly - it was selling immensly better.

TheBlueSky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.....................................*still...can someone explain to me how such a large, known and financially healthy company doesn't make the cut for the Nikkei index? I honestly admit not knowing much about economics, but it really doesn't sound like a good sign. :unsure: ........................................................

Well, I will try with my basic knowledge of stock markets.

A stock market index is created to show the direction of the stock market. The way these indices are formed is how the stock exchange consider factors such as total market capital, trading volume, the management, the popularity of the company etc. For instance if a stock is continuously falling from a higher level to a lower level, it's total capital will decrease. This could be one factor that exchanges choose to kick out a stock from the index. Then, if the trading volumes are low (usually indexed stocks have very high trading volume due to popularity), the stock could be kicked off the index.

It's not permanent though. If a stock that is kicked out of the index performs better in the future, it could be re-added to the index.

The general idea of creating a index is to have a bunch of bluechip stocks with a large capital that reflects the direction where the stock market is heading.

There could be several other indices comprising of companies within the scope of a particular index. For instance banking index having all the stocks of banking companies or midcaps index with with companies having medium capital.

Hope this gives you a basic knowledge of indices. :)

Reactions: Taleweaver

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
By that logic, the GBC would be a new generation of handheld since it was able to play exclusive games. I personally consider it a new generation.
Many people consider it to be that way, yes, but the differences weren't as astounding as between the DS and the DSi.

I personally treat it as a new system rather than a revision due to memory/CPU differences, but it belongs in the same family of Game Boy systems along with the Game Boy Advance - the difference is in intention.

The Game Boy Colour was meant to be an improvement of the original Game Boy, not a successor while the Game Boy Advance was a full-on successor system. Similarily the DSi was meant to be an improvement upon the DS while the 3DS is a full-on successor.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will go under , global warming will destroy the earth, 9/11 was an inside job, etc. All about as valid.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know where else on here to post this, but wondered what you all think about it: I found this on Mashable through a CNN link: http://mashable.com/2013/09/09/nintendo-selloff/?utm_campaign=Feed: mashable/tech (Mashable » Tech)&utm_cid=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-Tech-Partial&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=feedburner

To me, I grew up with Nintendo and I think they will be ok. In a way to me they are like Apple as innovators: The tech in the Wii's Motion Controls was first used in their Power Glove for NES and they first experimented with 3D on Virtual Boy. I plan to stick it out in the long haul and am excited to see what Nintendo will bring in the next years to come :)

Don't worry about Nintendo they have been here before and will be again in the future. Like a great man said "If it happens to Nintendo, the gaming industry is in trouble."

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't worry about Nintendo they have been here before and will be again in the future. Like a great man said "If it happens to Nintendo, the gaming industry is in trouble."

.... Adam Sessler?

Also, Adam Sessler is one of the smartest men in the gaming business. That and Kyle Bosman from GameTrailers. Yes, I know, GameTrailers, but Bosman does his own stuff, I'm just surprised GT never brought him out before, he only recently came out this year, the guy is smart.

Reactions: slingblade1170

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all