Should there be one last firmware update.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by LightyKD, Jan 18, 2017.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    All homebrew needs aside, what do you ladies and gents think? Should Nintendo release one last update to prep the console for the aftermarket? I can name a few things that could use fixing. The biggest thing I am thinking of is the fact that you still need a Gamepad to access the system settings. I guess the console is fine where it's at. Just curious about everyone's thoughts.

2. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    They could be fixing a lot of things but we all know what has the highest chance of happening. One final patch for exploits along with the release of Breath of The Wild.

PacPera likes this.
  3. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Nah, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did release an update after the Switch launches that cripples some Wii U stuff, to "persuade" (fuck-over) Wii U owners into making the Switchâ„¢.

Eastonator12 likes this.
  4. VinLark

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Psychosystem Denomination
    Well, i'm thinking they are going to push out one more for BoTW. But to do stuff like Gamepad in sys settings, nah no such thing

5. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    What do you mean by Gamepad in System Settings? Why would that require an update?

6. VinLark

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Sorry, OP mentioned being able to use Gamepad to manage system settings and that's what I was referencing

Jayro likes this.
  7. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Moar stability!!

I don't care at this point. Our Wii U is my daughter's for the long term, and I'm not gonna futz with it like I do all the stuff that's mine. I thought about buying one for myself, maybe a refurb, but I broke down today and bought an XRGB mini Framemeister for all my old systems, so my gaming hardware budget's shot for a while.

KiiWii and VinLark like this.
  8. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Yeah I'm also worried about Nintendo fucking over Wii U owners this year. Remember the great Nintendo WiFi destruction of 2012 (or was that 2013)? I'm wondering if we're going to have to make a group effort to backup server data...again. I'm glad Wiimmfi is still going.

9. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    5.5.2 is just going to break the exploits, that's it. One last try to make everyone buy Zelda: botw.

10. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Okay, but for the final firmware update, it should be an even 6.0.0. Eventhough the Wii was left on 4.3 instead of 5.0

11. VinLark

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Hopefully it will be active for years to come. I don't want it to shut down 2018....

TeamScriptKiddies and Jayro like this.
  12. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    I can't imagine what they would do. I can see them coming out with one update that accounts for changes to their servers, but that's it. Maybe the Mii app will be updated to let you transfer your Miis to the Switch? I haven't used it in years.

13. Muskusrat

Muskusrat GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Hope not since I just got my WiiU set up the way I like it :). If BotW does come with a firmware update, then I will wait for a firmware spoofer or something.

Just have to make sure I have downloaded all games and virtual console before 3-3, since you never know what will happen at that date.

Last edited by Muskusrat, Jan 18, 2017
  14. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Just install it with the Brazilian method like I will be, I don't think it will trigger needing a system update once it's installed.

15. A Plus Ric

A Plus Ric GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    United States
    Why would Nintendo keep servers up to support a system games are no longer being developed for? It will sit for a bit after the Switch is released and then taken down.,..why would they waste money to keep servers up, especially if no one's paying for the service? Esp since most complaining prob don't even buy games, but pirate them.

16. Svejk

Svejk Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Came here to find out whether BotW will require a new firmware or not. I'm still running at 5.3.2 and too afraid to update further. Had more than a few scares of Loadiine GX2 not working all of a sudden. I got the Wii U solely for my kids to enjoy BotW. I want to 'Day 1' it, but I may have to sit back and see what all happens for said hacked Wii U's.

17. Muskusrat

Muskusrat GBAtemp Regular

Jul 31, 2003
    Netherlands
    Update to 5.5.1 now and use Brazilian method to install the games. Easiest way for kids to use the WiiU anyway, since they can not click on the wrong thing. IF you wait to long then a new firmware might show up which is not hackable (straight away).

18. Svejk

Svejk Member

Newcomer
    Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    I'm afraid it's been a moment since I've done this. =P Is there a link you could provide that shows the steps on updating to 5.5.1 and how to install using the Brazilian method? It would be much appreciated!!!!!!

19. Eastonator12

Eastonator12 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2016
    United States
    but what if you don't update and install botw free mWAHAHAH

20. A Plus Ric

A Plus Ric GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 30, 2014
    United States
    Uhhhhh turn Internet on to access nintendo servers.....update.......

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.