Should I?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by napoleon76, Feb 17, 2010.

Feb 17, 2010

Should I? by napoleon76 at 6:43 PM (984 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. napoleon76
    OP

Newcomer napoleon76 Member

United Kingdom
    I'm thinking of modding my Wii, I'm prepared to give up Wi-Fi and all
    should I do it? HELP D:

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    SoftModding is quite easy these days
    And you don't need to give up WiFi

Just go to the hacking section and follow the stickied guide (or the one in my sig) [​IMG]

3. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    1) You don't need to give up wi-fi.
    2) Use a program called sciifii (Or something like that) to hack your wii. I haven't used it, but I hear it is simple and user friendly. Link: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=208713
    3) Don't upgrade your wii after soft modding. If you already have it's ok though.
    4) Don't do something to your wii if you think you might brick it. Bricking is when you break your wii after messing up the software which happens when you do the wrong thing with homebrew.

4. napoleon76
    OP

Newcomer napoleon76 Member

United Kingdom
    how do I use it? like put it on the Wii I mean

5. Christopho

Member Christopho GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Look at the stickied guide please, it will resolve most of your questions. Also, I recommend a USB Loader, saves money, load times, etc.

Hope I helped ^^

P.S. I'm REALLY busy right now, I'll hook you up with the link later if I have time.

6. DKAngel

Member DKAngel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    look up the simplistic mod much easier to follow

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Well...the "how to do it?"-part is pretty much covered by tj_cool's link. I'm more interested in the "why"-part. Why do you want to softmod your wii?
    Sure, there's plenty of advantages to be found (just read around on this site), but there are disadvantages as well:

-brick risk: the abovementioned guide is pretty failsafe...if you follow it correctly. However, it can never be completely excluded. And softmodding voids the warranty, so if something goes wrong, you can only blame yourself.
    -time: though apps like sciifii look promising, I don't believe in the "silver bullet". There will always be exceptions, quirks, incompatibility, weird behavior and/or bugs. If you're going into softmodding, familiarize yourself with the technical terms and learn about what they all mean. That way, you can fall back to your knowledge in case things go wrong (usually it's the other way around: by knowing what things are, you can prevent them from going wrong in the first place).
    -legality: softmodding's a bit shady. While technically legal (in most countries) to do, you can't deny that most appliances and/or use are downright illegal. That can be tricky sometimes (just yesterday, I spent half a day getting sneek to work).

In case this looks saddening: that's only because I list the disadvantages. The advantages, on the other hand, are so plenty that I don't even bother to count them. [​IMG]

I agree on the USB loader, but...it doesn't save money. It's still more expensive than a few DVD's, so if the goal is to just keep a backup of a couple games, I'd say the DVD option is cheaper. If however, the goal is to keep a backup of the entire collection of games (or if you plan to pirate games), then an USB loader is less expensive in the long run.