Hacking should I upgrade from AKRPG to AK2?

The_Dark_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi all,

I've had an Acekard RPG for a few years now. Everything has worked great until about 6 months ago.

Now I'm having trouble running new games and having trouble with save issues on old games (that I hadn't played before... so "new" in a sense).

I can still run some new games like Dragon Quest 9 - so it's not a total bust.

But I've heard good things about the Acekard 2 and so I'm wondering if that card could fix some of my problems? Is it really the wonder card people make it out to be? Or would I just be trading old problems for different problems??

All input (bad AND good) is appreciated!

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you using Wood RPG? At the moment Wood RPG is being updated more frequently than AKAIO so your AKRPG should have slightly better compatibility.

The_Dark_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I go between Wood RPG and AKAIO depending on whichever one is rumored to work better on a given game.

My results have been completely mixed. Some games work on Wood, some games work on AKAIO. Many games work on neither (FFCC: Ring of Fates, Last Window: Cape West, Warioware DIY)

There's no Wood programs for the AK2 I take it?

The_Dark_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I certainly wouldn't be throwing the RPG away or anything =)

but if I'm hearing you guys correctly, the RPG is actually compatible with MORE games the the AK2??

I haven't exactly had my finger on the pulse of the flash card industry for the last year or so, but I could have sworn I hear amazing things about the AK2... was it perhaps a different card I was hearing about?

is there a new "best" card on the market I should be looking into? and of course by "best" I simply mean compatible with the most games (current and down the road)

kineticUk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What do you mean exactly by work on neither? NAND or mSD?
I know about the save issues with akaio thats why I stopped bothering with it. But I hadn't noticed major problems since. If I were you I would keep the rpg and report your issues in the wood issues topic..then use wood. I don't rate akaio nor ak2's.. too rough around the edges. Paper tricks and all that poor hardware crud.
Its strange cause I cannot remember ever having any problems on wood rpg, wariowareDIY worked fine on mine. Maybe I have not been paying enough attention.
Personally I prefer my rpg with wood over akaio as I have a DSlite and woodRPG is class seriously. My 2 pence.
Hope you get sorted.
(As for the best now, I'd guess DStwo on paper. Have not used one personally though but if i were to buy a new cart it would be that. I'd forget about akaio)

The_Dark_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kineticUK said:
What do you mean exactly by work on neither?

Ring of Fates and Warioware have issues saving. The game thinks it saved and if I don't turn the game off I can see the save listed and my data reflected. But if I turn off the system and try to load a previous save, it's as if I never saved at all.

Last Window has similar issues on AKAIO and it freezes during the intro on Wood.

kineticUK said:
NAND or mSD?

Sorry, NAND. I have never ever used the mSD... dunno why, just less convenient I suppose?

kineticUK said:
(As for the best now, I'd guess DStwo on paper. Have not used one personally though but if i were to buy a new cart it would be that...

I apologize for my ignorance, perhaps that is the card I was thinking of when I said Acekard 2???

QUOTE(arpeejajo @ Oct 12 2010, 05:09 PM)
I have the Acekard 2i with 1.7.1 and it runs that game perfectly along with every other game I've tried. It only costs $15 so it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Do you think the fact that I'm using a DS lite would cause a significantly different experience?
Also, there's no way to pirate DSi games with that, is there??

Clookster

Your Clookster
Banned
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
WarioWare DIY needs a 32 MB savefile, that might cause the truble. Maybe you should try the mSD.
smile.gif

The_Dark_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clookster said:
WarioWare DIY needs a 32 MB savefile, that might cause the truble. Maybe you should try the mSD.
smile.gif

trust me, I went through that whoooole process several times.... with the save file size that is.

never tried the the mSD.... why would that make a difference?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The_Dark_Knight said:
Clookster said:
smile.gif

trust me, I went through that whoooole process several times.... with the save file size that is.

Because its only supported on the mSD because running any game from the nand uses the hardware save emulation which only supports up to 1MB save files. On mSD the saving code is patched to read/write directly from/to the mSD. It can't be done easily from the nand.

The_Dark_Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normmatt said:
The_Dark_Knight said:
Clookster said:
smile.gif

Because its only supported on the mSD because running any game from the nand uses the hardware save emulation which only supports up to 1MB save files. On mSD the saving code is patched to read/write directly from/to the mSD. It can't be done easily from the nand.

....interesting.

*runs to go try stuff out*

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what other games does this include? i remember having similar problems on my rpg a few months back, i think when i went from akaio 1.6 to whatever was public after that, gave me a buttload of save problems starting with zelda spirit tracks, so i decided once the save issues were fixed in whatever akaio it was, that id erase all my save file and savelist.bin and put just roms on there, has worked fine ever since. on the other hand, contra 4 gives me 2 white screens running off nand, i havent really tried much to fix this, but any idea matt? using 1.7.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.