Should I update to 10.3 now?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by lolz5521, Jan 5, 2016.

  1. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Okay so now I have a 10.1 console but I'm gonna wait until bought a 128 gb sd card to downgrade my console. I have seen some thread that downgrade from 10.3 are better? I asked this because if nintendo release 10.4 then I have to stuck downgrade from 10.1
     


  2. Ziefer846

    Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    447
    121
    Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    I don't understand why you are waiting to downgrade right now. It is likely that the next update will block the current downgrade. I would first downgrade from 10.1. If that gives you any problems, then you can always update to 10.3 and then downgrade. I downgraded from a 9.9 firmware and it went smoothly. You should just downgrade now, you can always change your sd card.
     
  3. iQue

    iQue GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    235
    62
    Jul 10, 2013
    I would downgrade as soon as possible, simply because if you soft brick your console you can at least update/restore it back to 10.3 ...and you can then try the downgrade again. If 10.4 comes along and you soft brick, you will be stuck on 10.4 with no downgrade option as it will might get patched out.
     
    TheShadowRunner and Zidapi like this.
  4. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Downgrade right now just seems too risky, maybe I'll wait few more days and see how it goes.
     
  5. Ziefer846

    Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

    Member
    447
    121
    Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    If you're on O3DS, then its not very likely for it to brick (as long as you use the right files and right version of sysupdater). If you're on N3DS, then just wait, it's too risky right now.
     
  6. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Yeah, i'm on n3ds. I'd rather go legit than brick my 3ds.
     
  7. Jrodt333

    Jrodt333 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    65
    8
    Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    From Nintendo's maintenance announcement, it seems likely that 10.4 will come on next Tuesday (unless maybe they're trying to trick us and release it earlier somehow?) and KernelTimeMachine will almost definitely come before then, so I would recommend waiting until that comes out so that the chance of bricking is as close to zero as possible.

    ...says someone who was impatient and already downgraded.
     
  8. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    Did you succeded? On which firmware did you downgrade?
     
  9. Jrodt333

    Jrodt333 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    65
    8
    Oct 29, 2015
    United States
    Yes, I went from 10.3.0-28U to 9.2.0-20U on my o3ds. I really don't know if updating to 10.3 will make a difference, but I should mention that every single part of the downgrade process worked flawlessly first try, using the most recent sysupdater as of about 24 hours ago. Honestly you should probably wait though.
     
  10. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    good for you, i might just wait.
     
  11. Juiss

    Juiss GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    180
    52
    Jan 3, 2016
    France
    Do you know what you're doing? As in, do you know where to get the correct firmware files, how to check if the pack you downloaded isn't corrupted, know where to put the update files and what you should and shouldn't do when attempting to downgrade? If the answers to all of these is yes, downgrade now. KTM will not make the downgrade safer, it'll just make it easier for noobs.
     
  12. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    well i know most of it since i began lurking around here after the exploit is announced, but still that doesn't make it 100% brickproof. i'm a paranoid person...
     
  13. Juiss

    Juiss GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    180
    52
    Jan 3, 2016
    France
    If you want 100% brickproof hardmod your console and make a backup of your NAND, that's the only way.
    The downgrade itself is as stable and safe as it'll get, the only problem is memchunkhax2 being wonky so it may take hundreds of retries until you can actually start the downgrade. If you go through with it I'd advice against using the ttp pack.
     
  14. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    ttp pack? what is that?
     
  15. Juiss

    Juiss GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    180
    52
    Jan 3, 2016
    France
    The KTM ready downgrade pack, just get the regular firmware files in a regular .zip.
     
  16. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    and where can i get those files?
     
  17. Juiss

    Juiss GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    180
    52
    Jan 3, 2016
    France
    On a certain 3ds iso site which I'm not allowed to link.
     
  18. lolz5521
    OP

    lolz5521 Advanced Member

    Newcomer
    91
    49
    Jul 20, 2015
    Indonesia
    okay i know thaaaat iso site, so i just need to search over there right?
     
  19. ombus

    ombus GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    143
    30
    Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    i am waiting for ktm but if isnt coming before the update and i decide to use the sysupdater .. do i make a folder named syusupdater and put it on the 3ds homebrewlauncher folder with the 2 files or the 2 files on root of sd card with the updates folder ? just wondering.. will wait still but for safety.
     
  20. Juiss

    Juiss GBAtemp Regular

    Member
    180
    52
    Jan 3, 2016
    France
    Yes

    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

    Make a folder called sysUpdater and put the 2 files in there, goes in the 3ds folder.