Hacking Should I try DSTwo+?

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, recently my gateway 3ds card was damaged, and I cannot use it anymore. I was going to buy another, but I noticed the dstwo+ is cheaper. Is it worth it to get the dstwo+ or just go gateway? I had an ac:nl save I really want to use from my gateway but the one on my actual ac:nl cart is far too old to be used.

Last edited by Cody090909,
D

Deleted User

If you have access to cfw right now you can try to use JKSV with the gateway games. I'm not sure if JKSV or SVDT will work with Gateway games but it's always worth a shot! After that you should be able to use them on installed games I believe.

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JKSV will work with Gateway games. However you will have to do some messing with it. i noticed with my gateway saves (I was using a DSTwo+), the save files are copied to a different name for loading and saving. Once the game is changed, the saves are renamed to the HighID+LowID.

When I first tried to export my saves, the saves were not being transferred over to the the file and resulted in errors. I had to manually change all the save file names to the loaded HighID-lowID, use JKSV and repeat. It was a long annoying process/

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason I'd want a DSTWO (and the reason I still have my old one) is because you really can't beat all the features it has as a regular DS flashcart. Cheat support, in-game guides, on-the-fly RAM editing, and it's emulators for GBA and GB/C were pretty dang spiffy. Heck, the DSTWO version of GameYob actually has better audio and wireless GameLink Cable emulation, something the 3DS version lacks (though the link emulation admittedly is pretty choppy). SNES and a few others weren't terrible on it, either. If you just want 3DS goodness, no, I wouldn't suggest a flashcart. But if you want to continue enjoying the DS library of games, then (for now) a DSTWO is the pick of the litter.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

drag0nscythe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem I had with the DSTwo+ is that it gets very hot after a while of use (can feel through 3ds) and it drains the battery quickly. I ended up purchasing a DSTT instead as it was a cheaper, less energy consuming, and not as hot running flashcart.

Both the DSTwo+ and DSTT have cheat support with both using the same cheat library. Both also can autopatch games so you don't need to worry about DRM.

I do prefer the DSTwo+ menu more but the DSTT has a decent menu.

As mentioned by Arecadian Fox, the DSTwo+ can play gba, gbc, snes and nes. However from my experience the only ones worth it are the gba and gb/c. the SNES was choppy and the nes cannot maintain aspect ratio.

It comes down to what you chose. I would recommend the DSTwo+ if you want a system with a good GUI and you can swap between games within DS mode without having to exit out to the main menu. If you just want to play DS games, then get a DSTT and use forwarders.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, recently my gateway 3ds card was damaged, and I cannot use it anymore. I was going to buy another, but I noticed the dstwo+ is cheaper. Is it worth it to get the dstwo+ or just go gateway? I had an ac:nl save I really want to use from my gateway but the one on my actual ac:nl cart is far too old to be used.
DSTwo+ acted as a clone Gateway, which at one point gateway updated their code to intentionally brick systems that were using a clone card. So as of right now you can't use DSTwo+ as a 3ds card with the latest gateway version. I would recommend just saving and getting a sky3ds if you absolutely must have a flashcard, or the better option (free, but has a little more effort) would be to downgrade and install a CFW.

Problem I had with the DSTwo+ is that it gets very hot after a while of use (can feel through 3ds) and it drains the battery quickly. I ended up purchasing a DSTT instead as it was a cheaper, less energy consuming, and not as hot running flashcart.

Both the DSTwo+ and DSTT have cheat support with both using the same cheat library. Both also can autopatch games so you don't need to worry about DRM.

I do prefer the DSTwo+ menu more but the DSTT has a decent menu.

As mentioned by Arecadian Fox, the DSTwo+ can play gba, gbc, snes and nes. However from my experience the only ones worth it are the gba and gb/c. the SNES was choppy and the nes cannot maintain aspect ratio.

It comes down to what you chose. I would recommend the DSTwo+ if you want a system with a good GUI and you can swap between games within DS mode without having to exit out to the main menu. If you just want to play DS games, then get a DSTT and use forwarders.
I honestly prefer the R4i Gold 3ds card because of it's native support for r4wood kernel. I feel like it's one of the nicest cards for the price just because of that, but I may be biased because I really liked the way acekard had their kernel layed out. The interface is just so nice and easy to use, which r4wood ripped and put on r4 cards.

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found out about cfw's, but I REALLY want my ac:nl save. The problem is my gateway card is not being read. It was chipped on the front thanks to a younger sibling. Anyone know of a way to fix it? The board is not damaged, so would molding plastic work?
2016-06-06.jpg

Last edited by Cody090909,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found out about cfw's, but I REALLY want my ac:nl save. The problem is my gateway card is not being read. It was chipped on the front thanks to a younger sibling. Anyone know of a way to fix it? The board is not damaged, so would molding plastic work?
I can't even see what you are trying to point at because the white balance is so poor. I won't be able to tell if what you are talking about would affect anything until you post a photo that isn't so white.

Edit: grammar fix

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't rn, thats an old photo of it I found on my pc. in 20 mins or so ill have access to my camera again, so i'll upload another. Thanks.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice Minecraft in the background.

On topic, are you sure that's not a clone card? I don't believe legit cards have cutouts on the back.

RedSoloFox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother took the stickers off, that's an actual card.
Anyone got any ideas to get it to be read again?
From the looks of it, it seems like either the pins have something on them or are damaged. You could try to scrape it off if it just has something on it, or figure out how to repair them if they're damaged.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the pins are present, the ds/3ds doesn't actually need the plastic dividers between pins, as evidenced by the fact that the r4i doesn't have them yet still works.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the pins are present, the ds/3ds doesn't actually need the plastic dividers between pins, as evidenced by the fact that the r4i doesn't have them yet still works.
My only theory is perhaps the broken plastic in bending in such a way that it may be somehow interfering with the connection between the pins of the card and the pins on the 3ds. That's just my best guess at this point though.

Cody090909

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I should pull the plastic off of the pins? I tried cleaning the pins with alcohol swabs and a needle, no dice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1