Should I make my own tablet?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by GalladeGuy, Jun 26, 2016.

1. GalladeGuy
    OP

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I'm a little low on money, so I've been thinking about making a tablet using an RPI running Android Marshmallow instead of buying an expensive flagship phone.

What I'd need:
    Optional:
    I'm not sure what I'd do for a power supply. Does this look good so far?

2. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    If you want Marshmellow just buy a Tablet, flash Marshmallow and root it to deinstall bloat ware.

3. GalladeGuy
    OP

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I don't have the money for an expensive tablet. That's why I want to make my own.

4. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    The nexus 7 isn't expensive

5. Justinde75

Justinde75 VGM Addict

Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    Iwatodai Dorm
    You can easily get a really good used tablet for 150-200

6. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    I went to walmart, and picked up a (Shitty) Android Jelly bean Tablet about a year ago for $80...It wasn't worth it! But, i may recommend a good tablet, which also comes in another model that has Windows. Click here

EDIT:

It's around $120-150

7. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    Oh, man. I would like to get a RPI3 so low. They sell it at around $70 around here.

8. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Damn dude. I have one. For that price I wouldn't get it. That is way too much. Sure it's a dandy thing and you can make some cool shit (I stuck mine into a nes controller and can now play ever nes games ever) but why do that when you can spend that 70 + 20(for the remote) for games you'll actually play multiple times instead of pirating ones that aren't on original hardware + You'll play like for a day and go this is cool then never touch it again. (as that is what i did)

9. Stjinchan

Stjinchan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    Netherlands
    Monte 'd Or
    May I ask, How do you want to run it properly?
    Since the RPI3 is having 1GB RAM and not the best processor.

Please do not assume that Android is fast and smooth enough to run properly + Apps running in background.

My phone 100% stock is already having 800MB at normal use, and RAM cleaners won't help you, on the contrary it will slow down Android.

10. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    I would like one just for the streaming to 1080p capabilities, but yeah, it's so expensive.

11. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | A Fellow (lewd) Megumin

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    An older version of Android may be better; Kitkat, Jelly Bean, or even ICS. Since, they're Optimized for lower Specs.

12. Stjinchan

Stjinchan Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2016
    Netherlands
    Monte 'd Or
    This, Marshmallow has been optimized, but I think ICS or JB are the best versions for this project.
    but since they aren't ported to RPI3 I prefer using Kitkat

This is the first thing I found when searching for KK.

Good Luck with your project!

13. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Get a refurbished Nexus 7 for $120, it got Android 5.1 Lollipop officially and i'm sure will have some good Marshmallow roms.

Edit - If your willing to import than the Xiaomi MiPad 2 might also be an option for a little more.

Last edited by InsaneNutter, Jun 27, 2016
    NutymcNuty likes this.
  14. NutymcNuty

NutymcNuty GBATemp's Autismo

Mar 24, 2015
    Canada
    Ottawa, Ontario
    d00d i legit have that tablet, its great (the n7 2012) get any android 6.0 rom, and install parrotmod its the dream honest. i even got mine free from my local city subreddit,

15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    It does not. Raspberry Pi and other custom builds are not for someone who wants a cheap device, they are for someone who is interested in building one as a hobby, to learn how to do it, or to cram the hardware in a form factor that doesn't come standard (clamshells, GameBoy cases tiny arcade cabinets, etc.) If you want a cheap tablet you're better off just buying a cheap tablet. Your build is already at $130, and you don't even have a power supply yet.

Check out this model. $50 + shipping will already get you a complete finished device on par with your projected specs. (Lenovo went downhill after IBM sold them but they still have decent stuff.)

Building your own would be fun, but if all you need is a tablet, you're way better off just buying one ready made.