Hacking should I get Supercard Lite or EZ Flash 3-in-1??

lalalalala

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm looking for a slot-2 card solution to play gba gameson my DS Lite. I'm not really sure what are the features, pros and cons, of each card. Which is better? Does both require a slot-1 card to save??

ChampionTWH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SuperCard slot-2's are the worse gba flash cards, they have great DS compatabilty though.

So I suggest you get the 3in1 as you looking for gba compatabilty.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lalalalala said:
doesn't the 3in1 require a slot 1 card? Otherwise, where would the saves go??
That may be true, but the supercard slot 2s have quite a lot of problems with the game compatabilty. Like games don't work, and it freezes.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already have a Slot-1 device and want a Slot-2 device to play GBA games, then the EZFlash 3in1 is one of the most popular due to the fact that it has GBA support, Ram, and Rumble, all in one cart. If for some reason you don't want the EZFlash 3in1, then the eWin2 is a good alternative. It is plays GBA games and has RAM support, but no rumble in it. However, the eWin2 also requires a Slot-1 device.

If you do not already own a Slot-1 Device, than you may want to look into the EZ-Flash IV. The M3 Lite is also another alternative. These Slot-2 devices generally run pretty expensive though, and compatibility is sometimes an issue. You might just be better off buying a cheap Slot-1 device and a EZFlash 3in1 or eWin2, depending on what store you get them from.

For more information on Slot-2 devices, check out the review section.

Vodka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should be noted that all slot-2 carts are going to require either a flashed DS, or a Slot-1 device (either a full blown cart, or a Passcard). It really may turn out to be cheaper to get an EZ Flash with a cheap slot1 cart than a more expensive slot2 cart and a Passcard. Shop (and read) around.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you've already got a slot-1 cart, just get the 3in1 and use Rudolph's GBA Exp Loader 0.4, which autopatches the ROMs on the DS so no PC side patching is required any longer other than maybe realtime clock patches, and some others if desired.

If you're only going to have a slot-2 cart with either some kind of passme slot-1 cart OR a flashme'd DS, then you could get yourself an
EZ-Flash IV Lite Deluxe which can use uSD cards up to 2GB, AND function as a GBA device just as well as the 3in1. (IMO better as the EZFIV has 32MB RAM so all carts can fit into RAM on the EZFIV.) DS compatibility won't be as good as the Supercard slot-2 carts, but it should be able to play most of the DS games with the added benefit of one of the best GBA performances out there. c. $40

The top-of-the-line option would be the M3 Perfect, which also support DS game playing(not sure about the DS compatibility), as well as the best GBA compatibility. The M3 integrates a realtime clock, so the only games that won't work out of the box would be the ones that required(and had integrated into the real carts) extra hardware for games control. c. $70

Also note that DS gaming with a slot-2 card means that you will have problems with download play and some ROMs (cart dependent), and will likely NEVER have 100% DS compatibility. As long as I'm adding this, here's another Supercard slot-2 problem with GBA games: slowdowns. Many games will run on the SC slot-2 but they WILL be SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOOWWWWW. It's just a poor choice for GBA usage, although the Supercard slot-2s do seem to have the best DS compatiblity.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been perfectly happy with DS gaming on my slot-2 Supercard, but cutterjohn is right in that they're a poor choice for GBA gaming. But hey, I've got DS cheats, slow-motion, and auto-DLDI patching, which I don't think any other slot-2 device has. The SC team hasn't left us slot-2 users in the dust just yet.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ONLY good thing about slot-2 Supercards are that they seem to be the BEST supported slot-2 cart as far as OLD(pre-DLDI) homebrew apps go, they still get firmware updates, and seem to have the best DS ROM compatibility of the slot-2 solutions. That said, the DS ROM compatibility isn't 100% and is unlikely to ever be, and the download-play will be iffy.

I've got what you see in my signature. I DID have the 3in1 with Rudolph's Exp Pack Tool (his older homebrew app) working with my Datel Games'n'Music cart, but the GnM started to white screen on boot instead of going to it's shell once I put a particular ROM in NOR FLASH. I don't know if it was a "feature" on the GnM or a bug, but I couldn't use it with the 3in1 inserted in slot-2 until I got another slot-1 cart and put a different ROM into NOR FLASH, but by that time why use the GnM any longer? (I only picked up the GnM because I could get it the same day that I got my DS Lite, it was $20, and could run at least some of the homebrew...)

Personally, I REALLY like the sound of the EZFIV with 32MB of RAM -> any GBA ROM can fit into it's RAM which is what I prefer to use. I'm planning to pick one up myself as soon as I have some spare cash for such things.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
cutterjohn said:
The ONLY good thing about slot-2 Supercards are that they seem to be the BEST supported slot-2 cart as far as OLD(pre-DLDI) homebrew apps go, they still get firmware updates, and seem to have the best DS ROM compatibility of the slot-2 solutions. That said, the DS ROM compatibility isn't 100% and is unlikely to ever be, and the download-play will be iffy.

I've got what you see in my signature. I DID have the 3in1 with Rudolph's Exp Pack Tool (his older homebrew app) working with my Datel Games'n'Music cart, but the GnM started to white screen on boot instead of going to it's shell once I put a particular ROM in NOR FLASH. I don't know if it was a "feature" on the GnM or a bug, but I couldn't use it with the 3in1 inserted in slot-2 until I got another slot-1 cart and put a different ROM into NOR FLASH, but by that time why use the GnM any longer? (I only picked up the GnM because I could get it the same day that I got my DS Lite, it was $20, and could run at least some of the homebrew...)

Personally, I REALLY like the sound of the EZFIV with 32MB of RAM -> any GBA ROM can fit into it's RAM which is what I prefer to use. I'm planning to pick one up myself as soon as I have some spare cash for such things.
EZ FLASH IV is as good as it sounds, but you need regular software updates to get DS-games to work. I've had mine for about a half year and Ihaven't encountred trouble with it at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy