Should I get a Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by soulx, Jul 5, 2009.

Jul 5, 2009

Should I get a Wii? by soulx at 5:18 PM (969 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Maybe this is not the best place to ask [​IMG] (biased opinions) but should I purchase a Wii. I;m excited for NSMB Wii and want to purchase a Wii to play it. [​IMG]

2. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    I wouldnt really recomend one. I had one and found it fun at first but then realised there wasnt enough good games to keep me interested. If it had a better online service itd be different but with the vast majority of wii games they are shovelware and no games have much replay value.

3. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I have to agree, the Wii is fun at first but then it just gets old. I wanted one sooo bad when it came out and my parents did a really good job of making me think I wasn't getting one for Christmas and I opened the box and I got really lightheaded cuz I was so exited. It was fun and I played at least 6 hours every day for a week. its funny because I look back on my Logs and its lik3 day 1, 8 hours, day 2, 7 day 3 ,9, day 4, 6, day 5, 4 and it just keeps going down. I guess the fun of it was that it was a new console that noone had ever played. I dont even think you could get that classic first week fun out of it because we have all seen and played the wii by now. however the only reason I still own mine is because all the hacking is sooo funn. I like the hacking stuff better than the actual games. Like, I will softmod my wii, install things to make a certain game work and then I will go to the game and play it for like 5 minutes. My suggestion is, if you are not big into hacking, dont get one.

4. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Don't listen to jaxxster.

It is up to you. Go to store and buy it and play it before 30-90 days depend on receipt of the store to see if you really like it then keep it and if not then return it for a full refund. I believe you will find it and I recommend it because of homebrew and download wii games. I have over 10 of the best wii games ever. There are going to be newer and best wii games coming up in 2010.

5. xDlmaoxD

Member xDlmaoxD GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you hack the Wii then yes, if you plan on just getting it then no.
    The games are crap, Wii shop is crapper.
    Sold my Wii for 400, might buy a new one tho on craigslist for 150 with extras and hack it
    then sell it again for 350.
    Save the money buy a PS3, I got one and thats why I sold my Wii.
    360 is ok also I got one too, when its flashed its well worth it.

6. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Well i dont wanna sound biased but...buy a 360! The online modes in games are usually well done and theres always alot of gamers about. Achievements also adds extra value to the game. Plus some amazing DLC for alot of games and dont forget about XBLA

7. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I was thinking of buying 360 and now I most probably will. I can't wait to get it and kick butt in Gears Of War.

8. Noltron

Newcomer Noltron Member

United States
    This shows how the quality of a system must be good in order for long term success in a system. If a owner finds the quality to be bad, they share that, and wa-la! The better system gets a better profit!

I personally think that the wii and xBox are very close in terms of quality, but although I am a wii owner, I lean towards the xbox because their kick az fps games. Although at first glance you may think the wii SHOULD be the better fps system, because its aim + shoot control capabilities, the wii is probably the worst out of the three (in terms of quality fps games.)
    Heres what I say

PS3:
    graphics: great
    price: mediocre
    fun: good
    online play: IDK, havent tried

XBOX

graphics: great
    price: good
    fun great
    online play: great

Wii
    graphics: good
    price: good
    fun: good
    online play: acceptable

this is very biased since its based on a personal opinion though.

9. psd

Newcomer psd Member

Netherlands
    nobody can decide for you.

it mainly depends on what you like yourself all 3 consoles have there ups and downs. Ignore the shovelware annyway.

Now you hear it is shovelware on the wii but if the xbox or ps3 had the biggest sales numbers then most likely the shovelware was just released there. (its basicly where they expect the most buyers without the producers putting in to much effort).

For myself i find the xbox 360 and ps3 more aimed on action games. The wii is a lot less in that department.

the other real difference is offcource graphical but that is also a matter of taste as of wich i don't really care that the wii graphics are lower since on the decent games i find the quality more then good enough.

What the future brings we will not know and only speculate, the wii can flop but so can the other.

For the motion control basicly al 3 consoles will have that like the wii. Basicly you can speculate on different scenarios here. That game developers will make use of motion control for ps3 and xbox360 and downscale the game for wii.

But you can also expect the complete oppiside and speculate that at sales the wii has sold most consoles for now and that game developers will use the wii as main console to develop games for and the upscale the graphics for xbox and ps3 and adjust the motion to the console. Since the ps3 and xbox360 have more cpu you could easy loose some cpu due to the fact it was intentionally created for wii.

but what future brings noone will know its all up to the sales and profits the game devolopers make.

Anyway i just think it is best to look wich games you like and then look at wich console you have the most hits. Afterall it will be the games that you play

10. Noltron

Newcomer Noltron Member

United States
    I agree. Really, all three systems were made to be GAMING systems, so they all should be enjoyable. No matter what you buy, you are getting a video game system, no matter what you get you are going to be, in the end, playing a video game. So just get what you feel you should-and just ignore the shovel ware. Look at reviews for each system, so you can decide for yourself.

dont forget that what your friends have can easily determine what system you get. If all of your friends have say a xbox, and you get a wii, too bad you cant enjoy the company of the gaming expierience online with ppl you know. Well, I suppose you could just make friends online, but its more fun if you can play with people that you already know. Again this is all a matter of opinion though...

11. sticklydude

Newcomer sticklydude Member

United States
    Also although 360 has the most mature online system, you have to play like 60 a year for it.
    PS3's is free and has most of the same games as the 360. You have to buy a 100$ adapter for wifi while ps3's is built in, and Xbox has and overpriced HDD

12. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Your forgetting something...

PC will always have the best graphics and best online.

Mouse&Keyboard bar none for FPS games.