Gaming Should I get a WII U

NapalmOmega

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For months I've been contemplating about if I should buy one. Of course I wanna play games like mario kart, super smash bros and one piece, but is the money really worth it?
To those who have the console, do you enjoy it and how often do you use it?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hold out because the price of the console will drop dramatically through the next few months to try to get the sales up. If you can wait until the holiday season you might get it for 75-100 bucks cheaper and/or a nice bundle offer.

Reactions: NapalmOmega

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If you think you'd enjoy the games that are available now (Nintendo exclusives in most cases), go for it. Otherwise wait it out. I bought a WiiU about a week ago and am interested in what the console could offer compared to the PS4. Multiplats are nice on the WiiU, but so far the multiplat games I'm interested or would have been interested are mainly from the PS360 era. Alas, I've already played them and don't think I'm going to buy extra copies just for the added gamepad gameplay.

The future itself looks good for at least this year, but otherwise I haven't heard much about new future releases after Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros and "X".

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I bought the Wii U for my first party fix, like you are thinking of purchasing one for.

I admit i don't play it that often but it's there for when i do get the urge, and with Mario Kart out soon i'll be playing a lot more.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
No it's a waste of money no one likes the Wee You, it has no good games, no one cares for Bayonetta 2, Zelda, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros. 4, Sonic or any other exclusives because there total garbage!!

Like seriously who would want to play Bayonetta 2 and Smash 4... ME!!!

coolmario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you wait till may there might be a mario kart 8 bundle, I say its got some great games right now, getting good ones in the future. I have one and its great.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd honestly wait. There's not a whole lot going for the system at the moment and it can only get cheaper if you hold out a bit. Wait for the notable games to come out, then consider buying one.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Personally, I'd recommend waiting until the price comes down a lot more; I'm sure we'll see another big price drop before the next Holiday season if the PS4 and Xbone can keep up their sales, and by then they'll be Mario Kart and Smash Bros to tide you over for the next big releases.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The thing with people who buy the console is that they aren't going to be that quick to admit they were wrong. More often, they'll just get games for it and justify liking those to make a claim for a "yes".

I'm one of those, by the way. Played it lots in the beginning, but then when everything was played it was kind of waiting for decent games to be released (or rather: get steam humble bundles for fractions of the price and equally the fun). I use wii fit u on a daily basis (yeah, I'm THAT kind of gamer) and promised myself to hold off playing DK: tropical freeze until I find a job (it's one of my motivations to get off my ass), but other than that...occasionally.

All in all: make a balance of the games that are released NOW and decide based on that whether it'll be worth the price. I made the mistake of believing a company that Rayman origins would just be around the corner. It wasn't. Likewise...the price could drop or kart or brawl could make it in a package deal, so waiting can very well be the better option.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've gotta say that I absolutely LOVE my Wii U, but I've always enjoyed Nintendo over the others anyway. I'm also kind of a poster child for the Wii U's key features. When my wife or kids want to use the TV, the off-TV play option is the best.

Games we have on disc:
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (which I alone have almost 300 hours into and transfer to my 3DS to play with my wife. She always gets the TV for our multiplayer. ALWAYS. Its also the main reason we got the system.)
New Super Mario Bros. U (with New Super Luigi U DLC)
LEGO City: Undercover
Pikmin 3
Super Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Sonic Lost World

Downloaded games:
Nintendo Land (BEST PARTY GAME EVER)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (A MUST PLAY ON WII U)
Mighty Switch Force (1 and 2)
Toki Tori (1 and 2)
Tank! Tank! Tank! (Free version with single player campaign DLC)
Mutant Mudds
Wii Fit U
Art Academy
Wii Sports Club (nothing unlocked, but I enjoyed the free days. Considering getting Bowling and Golf.)
NES Remix
Dr. Luigi

I've also got a bunch of Virtual Console games. The off-TV play and save states are great features. (Save states are the only reason I got through Super Ghouls n' Ghosts.)

Games aside, we also use it as our primary Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu system. Because of that we don't have regular cable. (We don't use Nintendo TVii due to this, but oh well.)

All in all, the Wii U has been the most fun I've had in a long time, and really tailors to my gamer family's play styles and preferences. I can't wait for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros.

If you have a lot of people wanting to use the TV when you play games, the off-TV feature sells itself. If you enjoy Nintendo's history of solid platforming games (Mario, DK, etc.), I'd say go for it. Its been a blast.

nicklesminer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind refurbished units, Nintendo offers refurbished Wii U deluxe sets for 200 that come with everything but the charging cradle and the stand for the gamepad. It comes with nintendo land, the deluxe promotion and also still has a 1 year warranty on it.

I just bought one and it looks brand new and I was even able to register it on clubnintendo for coins. I haven't played it a whole lot lately as I've been busy with other things, but it has a decent enough lineup at a 200 price point.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Can't say I play it every day but if I had time I probably would. I don't, however, have a PS360 so it is a good point that I'm sure I could have gotten a lot of games elsewhere but a lot of the indie games do interest me as well.
If you are really ONLY interested in playing Mario Kart and Smash Bros, then definitely wait until they're released for the off chance of a price drop. (Be careful, though, because on the flip side it might be harder to find cheap used consoles once those games comes out as well.)

I do have to admit that I really got mine with another purpose as well (3-core vWii homebrew) and I've always been a bit of a Nintendo fanboy so I'm a little biased there but I still would be one to recommend it, yes.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If you got the extra cash then go for it. The Wii U isn't a bad system and its underrated but the library at the moment is lacking.

Lacking?
  1. The Wonderful 101
  2. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
  3. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  4. Pikmin 3
  5. Sonic: Lost World
  6. Sonic: Racing Transformed 2
  7. Scribblenauts Unlimited
  8. Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  9. Rayman: Legends
  10. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  11. Super Mario 3D World
  12. Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures
  13. New Super Mario Bros. U
  14. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games 2014
  15. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
  16. Nintendo Land
  17. Epic Mickey 2
  18. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  19. Lego: City Undercover
  20. Lego: Movie
  21. Lego: Marvel
  22. Resident Evil: Revelations
  23. Batman: Arkham City
This to me isn't lacking anything, it has variety and plenty of replayability in all of these.

Wonderful 101 is my number one because it's my favourite (the rest is just random order).

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Lacking?
  1. The Wonderful 101
  4. Pikmin 3
  11. Super Mario 3D World
  16. Nintendo Land
  17. Epic Mickey 2
This to me isn't lacking anything, it has variety and plenty of replayability in all of these.

Wonderful 101 is my number one because it's my favourite (the rest is just random order).

I didn't mean lacking in quality but in quantity. I own more than half those games and they are great but at the moment besides Batman I have completed all of them leaving me with not many options to choose from on my next Wii U game until some are released.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacking?
  1. Sonic: Lost World
  2. Sonic: Racing Transformed 2
  3. Splinter Cell: Blacklist
  4. Rayman: Legends
  5. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
  6. Pacman and the Ghostly Adventures
  7. Nintendo Land
  8. Epic Mickey 2
  9. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
  10. Lego: Movie
  11. Lego: Marvel
  12. Resident Evil: Revelations
  13. Batman: Arkham City

SassyMovingImageAsRefutationOfYourPost.gif

northp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I say yes if you get a good deal. I got mine barely used for $160, and love being able to play the Mario an DK games now before the new Mario kart and bayonetta come out. Otherwise id never play the old wiiu games!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lacking?
  1. The Wonderful 101
  4. Pikmin 3
  11. Super Mario 3D World
  16. Nintendo Land
  17. Epic Mickey 2

The bottom of the barrel called, it wants its games back.

If "Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games" is on ANY "good games" list for your console then it's seriously lacking games.

Also do yourself a favor, buy a PS3 and get half those games plus better exclusives and a Bluray player for a better price.

Reactions: Foxi4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@