NULL

Should I get a flashcart or an emulator?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JustAGuy, Jul 31, 2018.

1. JustAGuy
    OP

JustAGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2018
    United States
    Would flashcarts be better for playing GBA/DS/NES/SNES games on the 3DS? I also found out about DSiMenu++ but I was just wondering what the best option is in terms of compatibility, speed, lack of issues, etc.

2. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    GBA can't have a flashcart on the 3DS, use Virtual Console injection (Which is not emulation, the 3DS has an embedded GBA).
    Use a flashcart for DS games
    You can't use a flashcart for NES/SNES games on a 3DS, use an emulator/VC injection.

3. JustAGuy
    OP

JustAGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2018
    United States
    Oh, I didn't know that.

Do you have any recommendations for any specific flashcart or are any of them fine?

4. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    r4i Gold 3DS is the universal recommendation. I use a DSTwo+.

5. JustAGuy
    OP

JustAGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2018
    United States
    Any reason you use that instead of the Gold? What are the differences between the flashcarts?

6. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    My Gold doesn't fit in my 3DS for some reason. It's debated which has better battery life. I think the DS2+ does, it seems to vary depending on manufacturing batch though.

7. JustAGuy
    OP

JustAGuy Member

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2018
    United States
    Ah, I see.

If I already have CFW on my 3DS, there's no reason to get the DS2+ right? I'm fine with either the Gold or the standard DS2?

8. Redhorse

Redhorse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    United States
    Twoson
    The older DS 2 models ( only available used now) will play many gba games on a 3ds. I speak of the pre DS 2 + models. They do use batteries fast. I personally use an . Old DS1i , the model before DS2, which works on cfw systems.

9. Mikemk

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    There's no reason to get the old DS2 over the + since they're the same price outside China.

10. Souperman9

Souperman9 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2017
    Australia
    Melbourne
    For DS games, DSiMenu++ works like a dream and can do the full speed of a cart. It can also run Gameboy and GBA games.

11. Redhorse

Redhorse Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 18, 2017
    United States
    Twoson
    Possibly, Mikemk.but since I don't own a new DS 2+ I can not comment on.it's ability to.run gba games, I only.own the Older DS2, and the DS 1i, which is what I commented on. I only speak on experience, I seldom speculate.