PS1/2 Should I buy a PS2?

pizza_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a PS2, and had many great hours with it. But unfortuntely, when I moved away, it only seemed fair to give it to my older brother (seeing as I had PSWii60), and I never really played it.

However, having only just found out on this site that I could softmod the system, I feel like I've missed out (I love soft modding things for some reason). Also, because there's always been games I've wanted to play on the system, but never got around to it (Shadow of the Collussus in particular).

So would you say it's worth picking up another system?

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you have the money then i would say yes. Since theyre really inexpensive nowadays. Also the fact that you can soft mod it is a good reason to invest.

Rogue_Syst3m

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant go wrong with a ps2
yay.gif

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're in it for the softmod (and I assume free gaming...) I would just go with an emulator if your computer can handle it.

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
PS2's are the best investment out there (except for a DS). You get a DVD-DIVX Player, With the biggest library and solid titles for very cheap. Softmod is the safest (safer than DS). Don't lose your time on emus when you can get the real thing. Only a few of 90001 don't work that will leave you over 50 million console that will work with it.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
make sure you go with a phat model and get like a 300 gb hard drive, you will also need to get a network adapter, its required for the hard drive connection. You have to use the old type hard drives, not the new S-ATA ones. You can than copy your games to the hard drive and play them off a list, just like you would do with a wii using a wii usb loaders. You want to get phat cause they allow the hard drives, the slim only allow USB hard drives and does not support USB 2 (like the wii does) so it is very slow. You can use this with ps2 soft mods

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
i love been plauing with my usb hard drive for my ps2 phat and it runs as fast as a disc, it can take a while to boot the game though

hughjass

Trophies
Website
www.marcreeves.co.uk
XP
Country
+1 for PS2 Phat with HD loader, I have one with a 180gig HDD with around 50 games on it, can't go wrong there!

Plus if RPG's are your thang you'll be in heaven, persona 4 anyone?

pizza_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think I'll go pick up an old phat tomorrow then. The stickied soft mod thread, is that still all up to date, as in I still need a cheat loader or a copy of agent under fire?

ie, what's the best, cheapest way to do it?

Also, is there a list of emus and stuff (homebrew?) that can be run on a soft modded ps2?

And lastly, to be clear, I basically need a phat, and memory card, possibly a cheat loader or AUF game disc, and I'll be ready to have a basic soft modded console?

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
or you could get in touch with me about setting up the card for freemcboot. Send an original 8mb card with a self addressed envelope or post pack. I would set it up as a multi console card
Other cards that work are Playmax and Futuretronics

pizza_man

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, thanks for the offer. I'll look around and see whats easiest. I just realized I've got a pretty full on week, so I might be putting this whole thing on hold for a little while. Thanks for the replies guys
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night