Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 755,441
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 102

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Funnily enough you can derive the aspect ratio from the DS' original resolution too, because it has the same aspect ratio :P Also, I said matrix hardware, not TwlBg. Of course the software has to care, because it's using OpenGL to draw the image. But since the matrix unit it just a very clever image stretcher, we can ignore the resolution entirely because the aspect ratio remains the same.

But yeah, I get your point.
Right, but I'm suggesting scaling the screen by different ratios vertically and horizontally, so the aspect ratio would be changing/different from either the DS (4:3) or 3DS (5:3)'s native aspect ratios. Sorry about my terrible understanding of the terminology here, you're doing well to understand what I'm saying anyway. :)

Nope. Unless you are okay with partial stretch (instead of 400 wide, which is 25/12 stretching, you get 384, which is 24/12, which can be simplified to 8/4 for the matrix hardware).
Is this math right, because that sounds super confusing to me. The original DS's resolution was 256*192, but (24/12)*256 = 512, not 384. What exactly is the matrix hardware multiplying by?

Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Right, but I'm suggesting scaling the screen by different ratios vertically and horizontally, so the aspect ratio would be changing/different from either the DS (4:3) or 3DS (5:3)'s native aspect ratios. Sorry about my terrible understanding of the terminology here, you're doing well to understand what I'm saying anyway. :)

Oh, now I see what you meant. Yeah...

Is this math right, because that sounds super confusing to me. The original DS's resolution was 256*192, but (24/12)*256 = 512, not 384. What exactly is the matrix hardware multiplying by?

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, now I re-did the math, and now I'm not getting 2.08333333* :wtf: Damn, sleep deprevation is clearly hindering my progress :(

Now that you made me realize my math was completely wrong, I re-did it, and got 25/16, which is also 12.5/8, or 8/5.12, which is... awful, because the matrix unit can only operate with integer numbers.

However, it seems like my point still stands, and the resolution closest to 400, but not above is still 384, which is 6/4.

There is also a ratio which is VERY close to 400, but it's slightly above it, and it outputs an awful non-integer pixel count: 409.6, which gets truncated to 410 by the hardware, and WILL result in AWFUL scaling, and most likely very blurry without some proper kernels. And ofc it'll also hang off the side of the screen, which is less than ideal...

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
For another comparison, here's Mario Kart DS displayed at 8:5 (just via emulator & cheat, but theoretically doable on hardware).

PRT0m38.png
bOdQ2Gc.png

Original 256*192 (1x scale) <---> "Normal" 3DS 320*240 (1.25x scale)

gsv7che.png
l2U1cYj.png

Widescreen cheat 256*192 (1x scale) <---> Widescreen cheat 384*240 (1.5/1.25x scale)

FQFhXQI.png

EDIT: Quick demonstration of the size of the tiny black pillars on left/right with 384​

This was made using the widescreen cheat from the thread I linked earlier, modified specifically for 8:5 (16:10) widescreen instead of the 16:9 which the cheat used by default.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@Sono If it's any help to you, I quickly threw together a spreadsheet of what I think should be every possible scaling value:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kMbn1cBD5a7W9zalBLTN-ig1vgqS6fuuBGlm45FRN6M/

Numbers in red are anything I personally deemed useless (e.g. anything less than 1x scale or over 1.6x scale), yellow are any duplicates (e.g. 8/6 is the same thing as 4/3), green are all of the values I figured have at least got potential to be useful.

As annotated, the first table is the scale factor, second table is the scale factor multiplied by 256 (horizontal), and the third table is the scale factor multiplied by 192 (vertical).

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@Sono If it's any help to you, I quickly threw together a spreadsheet of what I think should be every possible scaling value:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kMbn1cBD5a7W9zalBLTN-ig1vgqS6fuuBGlm45FRN6M/

Numbers in red are anything I personally deemed useless (e.g. anything less than 1x scale or over 1.6x scale), yellow are any duplicates (e.g. 8/6 is the same thing as 4/3), green are all of the values I figured have at least got potential to be useful.

As annotated, the first table is the scale factor, second table is the scale factor multiplied by 256 (horizontal), and the third table is the scale factor multiplied by 192 (vertical).

Btw, after I have done the basic patches I'll look into scaling X and Y individually, so try to do a separate "useful scale values" for both.

Also, for the Y co-ordinate, 1.5x is already off-screen, so take that into consideration.

Edit: I'm blind, sorry

Edit2: you can adjust the decimal points in the formatting or edit menu afaik.

Last edited by Sono,

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have manually applied the sharp 1.25x scaling to multiple 3DS systems now and noticed that for the original 3DS and original 3DS XL the offsets in the code.bin file were exactly as written in Sono's tutorial.

For the small New 3DS, the New 3DS XL and the New 2DS XL the offsets were as I reported a few pages back, at 0xC9A for the unused 1.5x scaling and at 0x4B094 for Sono's sharp 1.25x scaling.

All systems were EU region on the most recent firmware 11.10.0-43E.

Seems like the offsets only differ depending on whether you have an old 2/3DS model or a New 2/3DS model.
I assume that a different firmware also results in different offsets, but I couldn't test that.

Maybe that info will be helpful when it comes to writing an auto patcher.

Last edited by Reynardine,

plug313

Trophies
XP
Country
this is so exciting and one of the few things I've been wanting from the 3DS hacking scene :D thank you so much for your work Sono. I can't wait to play my ds games with less blur! and to try that wide-screen mode as well. I don't have a pc so I have to wait until there's something I can directly put on my 3DS.

also did you know sono means sleep in portuguese?

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have manually applied the sharp 1.25x scaling to multiple 3DS systems now and noticed that for the original 3DS and original 3DS XL the offsets in the code.bin file were exactly as written in Sono's tutorial.

For the small New 3DS, the New 3DS XL and the New 2DS XL the offsets were as I reported a few pages back, at 0xC9A for the unused 1.5x scaling and at 0x4B094 for Sono's sharp 1.25x scaling.

All systems were EU region on the most recent firmware 11.10.0-43E.

Seems like the offsets only differ depending on whether you have an old 2/3DS model or a New 2/3DS model.
I assume that a different firmware also results in different offsets, but I couldn't test that.

Maybe that info will be helpful when it comes to writing an auto patcher.

My patcher uses pattern searching, so it works despite the version. I tested pre-1.0.0 up to 11.0, and it seems to work just fine.

Reynardine

Fuchsly
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My patcher uses pattern searching, so it works despite the version. I tested pre-1.0.0 up to 11.0, and it seems to work just fine.
That's great news.
Best of luck to you with this project! ;)

It's amazing how a change like this enhances the playing experience.

Last edited by Reynardine,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I expected that method to be the most convenient as well. So, the other upscaling modes you mentioned through this thread will be included as well?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I want to try it but I can't find the dump twl_firm in godmode9 or do I really need the older tool?
The first post details exactly where to get it using GM9. The file you need won't be called twl_firm when you find it on the system.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: gohan123

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I expected that method to be the most convenient as well. So, the other upscaling modes you mentioned through this thread will be included as well?

The initial patcher will come with 1.25x modes because of the difficulties I have with thinking and existing.

Later I'll also add the rest of the suggestions to the patcher, including but not limited to 1.5x, START+SELECT swap, stretched top screen, and custom matrix maker.

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I tried guide mixed with sono and ahezard, not sure if it even allowed to mix them? one guide got a .firm file, the other a .bin.

I'm not even sure I see a difference, I might have done something wrong.

next time I will try taking photo without hdr on.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I run ahezard twl_firm_patcher. I get this.

IndentationError: unexpected indent
load: twlBg.exefs.header
ERROR: open file twlBg_patched_exefs/code.bin failed

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I tried guide mixed with sono and ahezard, not sure if it even allowed to mix them? one guide got a .firm file, the other a .bin.

I'm not even sure I see a difference, I might have done something wrong.

next time I will try taking photo without hdr on.

Try the patcher first, then do the scale kernel patch.

When I run ahezard twl_firm_patcher. I get this.

IndentationError: unexpected indent
load: twlBg.exefs.header
ERROR: open file twlBg_patched_exefs/code.bin failed

Try downloading and unzipping the repo instead of copypasting the Python script.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...