Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi,

I bought a 3DSXL for my little sister's birthday.
I installed Luma3DS, B9S, installed bunch of CIA (Pokémon, Animal Crossing...).

Now I want know how I can prevent her of launching the Luma3DS configuration screen?
How to prevent her for launching GodMode9 by error?
How to prevent her for launching FBI (the CIA) and do something dangerous in it?

I don't want remove FBI and GodMode9 as I may have to use it later in order to process to do backup or CIA installation, so I search a way to prevent her for launching them...

Edit : I also don't want remove FBI because I won't have access to the 3DS anymore (I'm not living with my sister and mother anymore), when I will give it her.
So I want keep an easy way to install some CIA because it's surely my mother that will do the future CIA installations (I will basically help her) but she won't understand how to start the Luma3DS menu, start the DownloadPlay application, use the option to replace it with the Homebrew Launcher, and use FBI in the Homebrew Launcher, if I remove the FBI as CIA (yes, too much steps xD). Put a CIA file on the SD, tell her to start FBI, and click Install is more easy.

Last edited by Asia81,

BARNWEY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try ReiNAND, it's supposed to be a minimalistic CFW. While you can customize it via the files on your SD, your sister won't be able to do anything...

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could set up parental controls and some apps, such as FBI, will ask for a PIN in order to be launched. She may be tempted to try and guess the password and give up after a few attempts. As for the payloads, you could look into this, but it's based off of Luma 8.1.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNand/releases
I don't see a release for a long time, does it at least support my (her) current setup?
I (so her) am on a EUR Old 3DSXL, 11.6 Sysnand. CFW I used is the latest Luma, and latest B9S, which I installed using NtrBoot.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You could set up parental controls and some apps, such as FBI, will ask for a PIN in order to be launched. She may be tempted to try and guess the password and give up after a few attempts. As for the payloads, you could look into this, but it's based off of Luma 8.1.
Interesting. Based on Luma 8.1 is a problem?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/Reisyukaku/ReiNand/releases
I don't see a release for a long time, does it at least support my (her) current setup?
I (so her) am on a EUR Old 3DSXL, 11.6 Sysnand. CFW I used is the latest Luma, and latest B9S, which I installed using NtrBoot.

Interesting. Based on Luma 8.1 is a problem?
It's not a problem. I was just stating that if you used it, you wouldn't be on the latest version of Luma.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As long it's compatible with B9S 1.3 and Sysnand 11.6 (and later) this is ok for me.

But I don't understand how parental control would block FBI?
Also, I would like avoid using a parental control, because I don't want block any games (or only 18+; as she is 10y), just FBI...
Maybe I should edit the icon.bin of fbi and give it a 18y setting, if used with parental control.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long it's compatible with B9S 1.3 and Sysnand 11.6 (and later) this is ok for me.

But I don't understand how parental control would block FBI?
Also, I would like avoid using a parental control, because I don't want block any games (or only 18+; as she is 10y), just FBI...
Maybe I should edit the icon.bin of fbi and give it a 18y setting, if used with parental control.
I had parental controls on my system and it blocked FBI and any Homebrew apps for some reason. I have to enter a PIN every time I want to use them. It's really weird. You can change the icon.bin and do that?

Reactions: Asia81

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had parental controls on my system and it blocked FBI and any Homebrew apps for some reason. I have to enter a PIN every time I want to use them. It's really weird. You can change the icon.bin and do that?
Seems like yes.
http://3dbrew.org/wiki/SMDH#Application_Settings
0x2008 0x10 Region Specific Game Ratings (For use with Parental Controls)

Oh yes I tried too and it work.
I put the ratings on allow any games of any ages, and FBI and Freeshop are blocked.
However, Tiksweep, Anemode3DS and Purgification are not (but I will delete these 3 apps, as she won't have any use of them, I installed all themes in a CIA format with HTT).

Reactions: KunoichiZ

BOBdotEXE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say create a folder on the last tile of the 3ds screen, and put the homebrew launcher in there.

(Make sure it's not one of the first tile in the folder)

Then if needed, FBI or most apps can be run from there.

---
Does this fix the problem? no.

But it's a quick and easy way to at least make it harder to find.

I think you can generate custom 'descriptions' for 3dsx homebrew.

You could have a big scary message their. like "This will break your 3ds"

IDK, this would not do anything for super curious kids.

But I'd imagine it would keep out at least some people.

Reactions: Asia81

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I know you already got a solution to your problem.

But also, you could install all the CIA games she wants to play via changing an app to the Homebrew Launcher with Rosalina and then installing from FBI in 3dsx format. Don't install any CIA homebrew at all, only games. Then, remove potentially dangerous 3dsx homebrew from the 3ds directory (in case she was able to launch Rosalina by accident), and only copy them again whenever you need to install more games using FBI.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I know you already got a solution to your problem.

But also, you could install all the CIA games she wants to play via changing an app to the Homebrew Launcher with Rosalina and then installing from FBI in 3dsx format. Don't install any CIA homebrew at all, only games. Then, remove potentially dangerous 3dsx homebrew from the 3ds directory (in case she was able to launch Rosalina by accident), and only copy them again whenever you need to install more games using FBI.
So I want keep an easy way to install some CIA because it's surely my mother that will do the future CIA installations (I will basically help her) but she won't understand how to start the Luma3DS menu, start the DownloadPlay application, use the option to replace it with the Homebrew Launcher, and use FBI in the Homebrew Launcher, if I remove the FBI as CIA (yes, too much steps xD). Put a CIA file on the SD, tell her to start FBI, and click Install is more easy.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I know this has mostly been solved, but why even bother with parental controls when there's a way easier way to prevent the use of FBI? I'm talking about uninstalling it! Uninstall FBI and whenever you need to use it, go through GM9 and inject it into H&S like you do when you first get CFW on the system, use it through there for whatever you need and unmount.

Don't know how well it'll work with silent builds though as I've never used them... However, it should be possible to change the button combos for chainloader and Luma options to something more complicated (eg: two buttons at once) by editing the Luma files. Pair that with the way I suggested for FBI and you got yourself one almost foolproof device.

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this has mostly been solved, but why even bother with parental controls when there's a way easier way to prevent the use of FBI? I'm talking about uninstalling it! Uninstall FBI and whenever you need to use it, go through GM9 and inject it into H&S like you do when you first get CFW on the system, use it through there for whatever you need and unmount.

Don't know how well it'll work with silent builds though as I've never used them... However, it should be possible to change the button combos for chainloader and Luma options to something more complicated (eg: two buttons at once) by editing the Luma files. Pair that with the way I suggested for FBI and you got yourself one almost foolproof device.
But that doesn't prevent her from launching it. She or somone else could accidentally load up H&S and it would load FBI. With parental controls, it blocks the app from even loading until a PIN is entered. Asia wants to prevent the app from loading, not disguise it.

goldensun87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whatever CIAs you don't want her opening, put them in a folder titled "Useless", and place the folder far from whatever games she would play.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
But that doesn't prevent her from launching it. She or somone else could accidentally load up H&S and it would load FBI. With parental controls, it blocks the app from even loading until a PIN is entered. Asia wants to prevent the app from loading, not disguise it.
I said to unmount FBI from H&S though when done... When you next need to use it, just remount it.

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think you didn't read that:
And put in in an "Useless" folder won't prevent her for launching it...

You also know how kids work, tell them to don't do something and they will do it.

Last edited by Asia81,

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I think you didn't read that:

And put in in an "Useless" folder won't prevent her for launching it...

You also know how kids work, tell them to don't do something and they will do it.
Thinking about it now, why not find the app she uses the least and making it the HBL? From Luma 8 and on the selection stays, so you assign it as HBL one time and you don't need to do it again! Simply do it with the one thing she will use the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: