Status
Not open for further replies.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony has money and was legally able to make George's life a wreck for a few months, while getting nothing out of it in the end, while George gets off with having to take down the information from his site...

I assume Sony knew they wouldn't get anything out of it in the end, but just wanted to be a couple of assholes.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Sony has money and was legally able to make George's life a wreck for a few months, while getting nothing out of it in the end, while George gets off with having to take down the information from his site...

I assume Sony knew they wouldn't get anything out of it in the end, but just wanted to be a couple of assholes.

This caused quite a blow to Sony's sales. Quite a few people I know don't buy anything Sony anymore so... :wtf:
Overall, I expect a huge shitstorm a-brewin.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
_Chaz_ said:

I fully believe Sony went into this thinking they could set a legal precedent. It was turning out to play the other way around, so that's why they pulled a settlement out of their hemorrhoid-ridden rich bitch assholes.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of what anyone thinks of geohot, I think that this whole episode may change how people release their work.

Any future releases of exploits, homebrew, or piracy should be done as anonymously as possible, or released publicly in a country where the laws are favorable to hackers and not corporations.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
_Chaz_ said:

I fully believe Sony went into this thinking they could set a legal precedent. It was turning out to play the other way around, so that's why they pulled a settlement out of their hemorrhoid-ridden rich bitch assholes.
If it was so clear cut and dry, Hotz' lawyers wouldn't have accepted the settlement that screws him over.
I think it was more Sony thought it'd be a slam dunk case once they got it to California and in front of a judge or magistrate they've paid off. And with all the difficulty they had in getting it moved to Cali, they figured it's best not to tempt fate and called for a settlement.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
QUOTE said:
Hotz was not involved in the recent attacks on Sony’s internet services and websites.

wonder who that was
smileipb2.png

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Gagarin said:
It is because of that Pizza bought by Anonymous...
LOL, I was going to say that too
tongue.gif
The Pizza must have had some sort of effect on the decision made by Sony.
unsure.gif

Anyway, I dont really see what that means for Homebrewers though.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its interesting.. its as Sony wanted and maybe not totally as Geohot wanted. The best thing is that this case is over.
Now channon can stop and hopefully the homebrew part of the ps3 will be promoted legally.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus Christ, someone needs to hose this thread full of troll repellent. What is attracting all the trolls?

Be logical, he had lawyers and he had money before the case. It's not probable for him to spend money that was donated for legal costs for vacation money when he has a decent amount of money already especially since his lawyer vouched for him. On the same note, if it was not wise for him to settle, he wouldn't have settled. People pretend they can analyze this kind of stuff with 3 seconds of speculation and pretend they are the expert of the universe.

I'm not defending him either so don't even play that card...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Just because we think somebody has the right to do something doesn't mean it's legal. It looks to me like he realized the law wouldn't agree with him and Sony could actually get him for this. I'm pretty sure most of you aren't aware how strict some laws can be, this settlement is probably a great deal compared to what else would have happened.

WiiBricker said:
P-CHYLD said:
TwinRetro said:
but he's not the only hardware hacker wizard on the planet, and someone WILL take his place.Yes you are right, good things come to those who wait. Anything man made will be broken by another man.Software and Hardware can be secured up to 100%. Then nobody would be able to hack shit.If one person can access something, anybody can access it.

QUOTE(Maedhros @ Apr 11 2011, 02:19 PM) Don't worry guys, your piracy is not prejudiced by this...

Did I said piracy? Sorry, wanted to say homebrews.
Maedhros no trolling!
Maedhros no trolling!
Maedhros no trolling!

dora_explorer_show.jpg
QUOTE(xfcrowman @ Apr 11 2011, 02:35 PM)
Regardless of what anyone thinks of geohot, I think that this whole episode may change how people release their work.

Any future releases of exploits, homebrew, or piracy should be done as anonymously as possible, or released publicly in a country where the laws are favorable to hackers and not corporations.
Yeah, even when people don't do stuff anonymously it's sometimes hard for companies to find who they are, so if you just up and sign up for a random forum and post a mediafire link to some shit, I don't think it's going to be traced back without help from the forum admin or something like that... at least, we thought. Since Sony was requesting IP addresses and shit, people might have to release stuff by proxy (no not web proxy
tongue.gif
).

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the TL:DR of this case

Sony LOST.

Sony CAVED.

Sony knew they couldn't win. With the pressure from the constant attacks from Anonymous they decided to settle just to get this case over with. Removing data from his site is a joke. That information has already been spread all over the globe.

Meanwhile Anonymous continues their crusade..... To them this was about more than just Geo. It was also about Sony's attack on the privacy of millions of Youtube viewers.

I don't usually curse on this board but Sony can go f*** themselves. I'm positive the karmic shit storm will continue to rain down on their heads.

plans for the ps4 have been cancelled

Haters and fanboys.... deal with it.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
SPH73 said:

Sony LOST.

Sony CAVED.
If that were true, why'd the settlement bend George Hotz over?

They most likely were going to lose, but they came out ahead in the end.

This is what fanboys actually believe.

They lost and they lost big time.

All those court fees and lawyer fees for NOTHING. All geohot had to do was remove data from his site. Data that has now been spread all over the globe.

This is the biggest fail in legal history. I'm sure Sony spent at least six figures in court and lawyer fees only to realize that Pandora's box has already been opened, and Sony can't do shit about it. And GeoHots gets to walk away a free man. I'm sure he'll continue his work on other hardware. And I'm sure those who have learned from his work will continue their efforts on the PS3.

Sony you lost. You're a loser. This is lawyer fail of epic proportions. Legal eagles will be citing this case for years. This was the day when the big corporation bowed to a simple hacker.

And people say the good guys never win.
nayps3.gif

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
twiztidsinz said:
SPH73 said:

Sony LOST.

Sony CAVED.
If that were true, why'd the settlement bend George Hotz over?

They most likely were going to lose, but they came out ahead in the end.

And GeoHots gets to walk away a free man.
How the hell does he get to "walk away a free man" if he has to pay a $10,000 fine id he attempts to hack any Sony product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1