Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ordered this-

http://www.realhotstuff.com/ezflash-size-p-294.html

I selected Priority Mail. It shipped Friday morning, so I should have it Monday. I have a DS Lite and an Acekard 2. What, exactly, will I need to do to set the device up to work properly? Does the AK have its own slot-2 GBA cart loader? I've read the review here and an EZFlash wiki, but the setup directions for both seem a bit outdated, now that we have slot-1 cards out and no need for special loader devices.

IceRentoraa29

Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need the Acekard to set it up at all. Before you do anything, however, make sure you charge the EZFlash 4's battery by leaving it in a turned on plugged DS for 6-8 hours. Meanwhile, download this loader and the EZ4 Client and make sure you format your SD card with Panasonic's SD card formatter to FAT. After the battery is charged, place the loader on the root of your SD card, place the SD card back into the EZ4 and run it by holding the R button on your DS while turning it on. After it's finished writing to the EZ4, you can start patching your games with the EZ4 client. Make sure your SD card is connected to your computer first, then have the client point to your SD card so you can write the games to it after patching.

*If you're going to have more than 50 games on your cart, it's best to make folders to separate them so you'll be able to see them all.
*Also make sure you rename your games with shorter filenames as to reduce the chance for save errors.
*(For Pokemon players) If you want an error free Pokemon playing experience, make sure to do the following:
  • For Ruby/Sapphire, make sure you have a clean rom, remove the MUGS intro if necessary by applying one of the patches found here, *trim it, and apply the clock fix with GBATA but don't apply the SRAM patch with it!. Run the clock-fixed file in the EZ4 client, but don't apply the reset patch.
    For Fire Red/Leaf Green/Emerald, again, make sure you have a clean rom, *trim it with GBATA (make sure not to SRAM patch it!) and run the rom through the EZ4 client without applying the reset patch. (if your wondering why I'm telling you to run Emerald this way, it's because the clock fix can't be applied with GBATA on it and as far as I know there's no patch made for it yet, so even though you'll get the error message about time-based events at the beginning of the game, it will save fine.
    *trimming will allow you run the games through the PSRAM instead of having to burn them to the NOR first*
Once you're done, place the SD card back in the EZ4, load it up, and everything should start up fine. Also, if you want to burn a large game to the NOR memory, select the game you want to burn and press Select and confirm with A (it's slow writing, but the game will load faster) then when you want to erase it, just go to the game you wrote and press Select and confirm with A. Enjoy
gbasp.gif

Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can do until the mail arrives is to put the loader onto my SD stick.

Any idea on how long a maximum file name can be?

On a side question, any clue if Drill Dozer will run properly on this? The cartridge was specialized with a rumble motor. I know Boktai and others will be right out due to specialized cartridge designs, but Drill Dozer was just rumble.

Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drill Dozer runs fine on an emulator, so I'll try it.

What I find unfortunate, though, is that my current list of 32 ROMs is only about 340 MB. Horribly underdone for my 2 GB card. Even if I throw in more games that I'm unlikely to play, I'd still be lucky to reach 500 MB. Wondier if I can sue the free space for other things? I know there is GBA homebrew...

Diosoth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The device finally arrived today. I have it in the DS, turned on, to charge the battery as per your instructions. I will mess with the firmware and ROMs when that's done, roughly 11 PM EST tonight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired