Hacking setting up switch for kids for christmas on 4.1.0 message says update firmware ????????

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, bought switch out of box 4.1.0 got sx pro and its not reading any game in album folder, but every time i turn it on w/ dongle, it say something like in order for it to work, u need to update system, and i just saw some post not to update. sxos is version 2.0.1 and nx-hbmwnu is 3.0.0 got the licence .dat and a game on the root, any help please , ive been messing w/ this for hours, do i need to update to a later version of the switch, and if so what version thanks

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, bought switch out of box 4.1.0 got sx pro and its not reading any game in album folder, but every time i turn it on w/ dongle, it say something like in order for it to work, u need to update system, and i just saw some post not to update. sxos is version 2.0.1 and nx-hbmwnu is 3.0.0 got the licence .dat and a game on the root, any help please , ive been messing w/ this for hours, do i need to update to a later version of the switch, and if so what version thanks
btw, set up so it will not auto update

D

Deleted User

If you want to update
Dump your nand and boot info 1st
Don't update passed 6.1

Hombrew goes to switch folder on your micro sd
Get ChoiDujourNXv101 and firmware files you need. Really simple GUI makes updating simple. I recommend installing with exfat driver

Last edited by ,

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so will it not work at 4.1, do i have to update and what would be the preferred update version and where to get, as you can see ive been a member 15 yrs so have obviously been out of the game since the wii haha, i dont want to brick it

Reactions: Deleted User

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so will it not work at 4.1, do i have to update and what would be the preferred update version and where to get, as you can see ive been a member 15 yrs so have obviously been out of the game since the wii haha, i dont want to brick it
You will need toooo:
Use ChoiDuJourNX to update to MAX 6.1.0 and nothing higher.
But first you will need to use Hekate on 4.1.0 to backup your nand. [Enable AutoRCM if you plan to go back to 4.1.0 sometime.]

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can’t help you much with the SX issues but you should update to 5.1-6.1.

See this thread and pay attention to the coughs.
ChoiDujourNX - a system firmware installer homebrew for the Nintendo Switch

Also in the tutorials section is an excellent guide for doing a full backup. Do this first as the above posts states.

The noob paradise thread will get you all the other help you need.

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, does ChoiDuJourNX update the official firmware or do i have to find nintendo newer firmware somewhere, since their newest at their site is no good

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
thanks, does ChoiDuJourNX update the official firmware or do i have to find nintendo newer firmware somewhere, since their newest at their site is no good
You have to find the firmware files somewhere. Also, if you don't care about later downgrades, you should disable autoRCM in choidujourNX. Don't forget to install the exFAT version of the FW update.
Also, most stuff should work on 4.1.0 anyway, if you use tinfoil and ignore FW version.
And as it was already mentioned, backup your NAND before doing anything and remove all internet connections.

P.S.: You can use both Fat32 and exFAT. There is no difference in functionality. Fat32 just can't store files bigger than 4Gb.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First and foremost step before you can do anything (which no one has mentioned), reformat your SD cards as FAT32, not exFAT.

THEN you can use ChoiDujourNX to install the exFAT drivers (or you can stay with FAT32 and deal with the hassle of splitting your games to 4GB max split sizes).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: that's sneaky @Kubas_inko, editing in FAT32 after I posted my message outright saying nobody mentioned it before. I did ctrl-F FAT32 and there were no results earlier.

Anyway, you won't be able to load any games or load any homebrew, like ChoiDujourNX, from an exFAT card without the exFAT drivers, so you really do have to start out by using a FAT32 card.

Last edited by bundat,
Reactions: Mythical

Budsixz

Gbatemp Gamemer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Is your switch the newer version? Because consoles made after July 2018 cannot be modded
Search for a thread like that. It shows console info based on serial number

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

mrgarrison

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My switch is on 4.1.0 (XAW1007), waiting for my SX pro to arrive in the mail. From my massive amount of reading about issues, basing this opinion solely on said information, I would bet your missing exFAT drivers. It appears exFAT was brought in sometime (?) during 5.X.X. cant seem to find out exactly when but without it you cant use a SD card with games over the 2/4gig limit. I'm actually fearing the same situation when my SX arrives, so I'll be following this thread closely! haha. So far the consensus seems to be use choidujournx

https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/

and upgrade that way. Wish i could just find a copy of Octopath Traveler as it seems like you could just plug it the game and let it update the switch to 5.0.2

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It appears exFAT was brought in sometime (?) during 5.X.X. cant seem to find out exactly when but without it you cant use a SD card with games over the 2/4gig limit.
Exfat was introduced much earlier, I've been using an exfat formatted card basically since the Switch was released.
Wish i could just find a copy of Octopath Traveler as it seems like you could just plug it the game and let it update the switch to 5.0.2
That wouldn't install exfat support. That's either done online on the console directly, by plugging in an exfat card and then updating (which now will leave you on the currently unhackable 6.2.0), or with ChoiDujourNX.

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exfat corrupts the card when using homebrew. Stick with fat32. Only use exfat to get your nand backup. If you plan on using retroarch I highly suggest using fat32. You can format large cards with Gui Format and can be found in the downloads section of GBAtemp.

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi guys, so i backed up the nand , then set up ex fat support on card, all seemed great still at 4.0 firmware tried mario odyssey, but now more problems of course, ist rbi baseball xmi file says cannot read game card, then installed a few nsp files (pinball) used installer, now they show up but when i select it saysA SYSTEM UPDATE IS REQUIRED TO RUN THIS SOFTWARE DO U WANT 2 UPDATE, no thanku how do i fix this w/ the nsp files

Albytrozz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those games aren't running because you're on 4.0... that's a pretty low firmware and a LOT of games have come out since then that require a higher fw (like pretty much everything after Zelda). You can either update to something newer or install them using Tinfoil and using the "Ignore Firmware Version" option, but I'm not sure that trick works well on fw as low as 4.0.

Also I know this comment isn't helpful and none of my business, but how long until one of your kids goes to play a newer game and accidently chooses "Update Software" and all of that work will have been for nothing... I don't trust kids around hacked consoles and don't think it's a great idea giving them to kids for Christmas. Not because I don't like kids but I know what they can do to electronics, especially hacked ones that need extra care when using.

So can we start the countdown now until we're helping you again after junior accidentally upgraded to 6.2 on Christmas morning?

Last edited by Albytrozz,

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Albytrozz is correct. You will need to update using choiDujourNX to 5.1 or 6.1. Then keep it in airplane and don’t connect to WiFi. Kids are a real risk so setting up 90DNS is another helpful way not to accidentally update for when they figure out how to take off airplane mode and take it online. Then all you will have to do is just watch out for newly released carts updating your switch.

There is several places to get the firmware if you know where to look. You where able to find .nsp’s so I’m sure you know where to start. Also, tinfoil will work for a lot of games since it can ignore firmware, it all depends what keys they game was made with. Therefore not every game/ update will work. It’s better to update, like others on this thread has stated already.

Last edited by kylum,

slickric33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Albytrozz is correct. You will need to update using choiDujourNX to 5.1 or 6.1. Then keep it in airplane and don’t connect to WiFi. Kids are a real risk so setting up 90DNS is another helpful way not to accidentally update for when they figure out how to take off airplane mode and take it online. Then all you will have to do is just watch out for newly released carts updating your switch.

There is several places to get the firmware if you know where to look. You where able to find .nsp’s so I’m sure you know where to start.
one is in college and the other is a soph in hs and they have known the game since they were doing the swap trick w/ the ps1, my oldest used to take and delete the update folders in the xbox 360 days so , no they are no risk, but is there a way i can stay at 4.1 and either delete the update in the files or patch the newer games so i dont have to update. is there any benefit to being on lower firmware y or n, and if no should i just go to 6.1 (is there one more stable than another) btw what is Tinfoil and will it work w/4.0 and new games thanks to all for the help

Reactions: Albytrozz

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exfat corrupts the card when using homebrew. Stick with fat32. Only use exfat to get your nand backup. If you plan on using retroarch I highly suggest using fat32. You can format large cards with Gui Format and can be found in the downloads section of GBAtemp.
Why do people keep spewing this BS?

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
is there any benefit to being on lower firmware y or n, and if no should i just go to 6.1
The only benefit a lower FW has over a higher version is that if there is a future exploit that requires a lower FW version.

BUT
- if you have a 4.1 NAND backup (which you should, so that you can unbrick your system if you ever get bricked),
- and you have AutoRCM permanently enabled (and never turn it off),
then you should burn no fuses and should always be able to downgrade to 4.1 by restoring your 4.1 NAND backup.

So you should have no reason to not upgrade to 6.1 (using ChoiDujourNX) since you can always go back.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people keep spewing this BS?
People say that the exFAT implementation from Nintendo is faulty and corrupts the filesystem. Idk if this is true or not, but I haven't had any issues with exFAT or RetroArch yet. I don't bother with anything above 16 bit systems though, so maybe it has something to do with certain cores. But again, I've had no issues with exFAT. You?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BakerMan needs more expand dong