Setting up a Wi-Fi hotspot while connected to Wi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Seriel, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Seriel
    OP

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Hey, is there a way to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot using my Laptop which is connected to WiFi?
    Also, it must be with WEP security so that my DS can connect.

2. eosia

eosia GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2010
    United States
    You will need a second Wi-Fi card.

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yeah, you'll either need to set up a wired connection or get a cheap second card/USB dongle. Wifi devices can only broadcast or receive a connection at any given time, not both

4. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    You can do this on *nix/BSD with a compatible wireless adapter - wouldn't have a clue if it's possible to set this up on Windows though.

5. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It is, through the network setup panel

6. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Regular

May 15, 2014
    Syria
    Then you might want to inform Jackus how.

Edit :
    A cursory googling about hosting on the same adapter as a client for Windows seems to provide some stories about a software solution called 'Connectify' - but from what I understand that utilizes the built-in hosted network feature, so sadly it's probably WPA2 only.

Last edited by barronwaffles, Dec 9, 2015
  7. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Wait, sorry, I thought you meant hosting from a secondary card, I didn't even know it was possible to host a network from the same card you were recieving a connection from

8. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    To the best of my knowledge, Windows only supports client mode, ad-hoc mode, and AP mode for network controllers. Hybrid modes for a single NIC isn't supported, only bridging between two NICs (so one in client mode to the router AP, and one in either ad-hoc or AP mode to other clients).

I know Linux allows greater control over the networking stack, but I've never heard it allowing hybrid modes. But I don't know enough Linux to comment.

I'm curious why the other clients can't just access the same AP your laptop uses. I would guess university or hotel WiFi, which might have stricter access requirements, but there are tools/dongles designed to help with those exact cases.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.