Set execute permissions in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by AlanJohn, Feb 21, 2013.

Feb 21, 2013
  1. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Hi! Recently I have been struggling to install Ubuntu and Steam on my computer and I have succesfully done so (after 2 weeks of hard work). But, now I have encountered a problem with installing TF2... Well, not in installing it, but setting the steam folder. I am trying to install the steam library folder on my 107 gb partition, but Steam won't let me, for it says that thou Steam Library Folder must be located on a mounted drive with execute permissions. I have tried to set execute permissions on this drive, but I have met failure. When I check the "Execute programs from this drive" tab it automatically unchecks when I try to apply these settings.
    So far my experience with ubuntu is shit and I will completely uninstall it after I get that tux. So, can anyone help?

DinohScene likes this.
  2. AlanJohn
    OP

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Anyone?

DinohScene likes this.
  3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    30 minutes is probably a bit short for a bump.

What filesystem is the 107 gig partition using? If it is say NTFS and you have not shut it down properly it might have opted to mount in read only mode or some such.

That said the command to change it from the command line will probably be something like sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/partitionname/directory
    I do not use ubuntu so I am not sure if what it hides where as far as these sorts of commands so I might be slightly off (it might be /media for the mount location) and I am not sure if it allows sudo. I would probably get a slap for doing 777 on things like this but roll with it for now.

After this we get to mess around with FSTAB or something ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab ) but go for that later.