Sequelitis

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Rydian, Nov 9, 2011.

Nov 9, 2011

Sequelitis by Rydian at 10:04 PM (544 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So egoraptor made a second one. While the first one (Castlevania 1 vs 2) talked about aspects like color schemes and difficulty curves, this new one (Megaman Vs. X) talks about different ways to teach players to play your game and proper immersion (cue valve fans).

While the first one touched on it a bit, the second one really hits home in the contrast between modern games and some of the "classic" games (especially in the intro), and I'd like to hear what you all think about it.

Personally, I heavily agree with the "teach users properly as they play hands-on", but I do still see a need for an in-game controls or little manual thing... but I don't think that should be forced.

2. Ace

Member Ace GBATemp's Patrick Bateman

Sweden
    I very much prefer learning the game mechanics hands-on, just like the Megaman games showed. I'm tired of having my games interrupted by some convulted way to assassinate in Assassin's Creed, really. Really, sooooo many games are on-rails these days.

3. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Try out GOD HAND, losers.

4. Pluupy

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    God when he talked about how games were shy about explaining what to do next I agreed. I agree so jesus-backflipping-hotsauceguzzling much. SERIOUSLY. I play many games where I don't even know wtf im supposed to do. Culprits?

Mother. (thank god for Mr.Hint Man in Earthbound/Mother 2!)
    Final Fantasy. (any of them besides 13, take your pick seriously)
    Legend of Zelda. (another series that likes to hide what to do. Luckily we have Navi, Midna, King of Red Lions, etc)
    Elder Scrolls. (FCKN ARENAOMGWTFWAT)
    ACE ATTORNEY. (oh jesus make it stop! WTF DO I PRESENT WHO DO IT TALK TO)

I rest my case.

5. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    I remember when manuals were fun to read, including the story synopsis and describing the characters. I'd never even glanced at the controls, instead just learning how to play the game intuitively by experience. Now manuals are literally just a slip of paper that tells you nothing beyond health warnings and controls. Makes me wonder why they're even included for those games nowadays.

EDIT: I guess that's the actual definition of a manual, but I just hate how bland they are now.

6. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    It's really troubling when I've played the game before, saved clear data, but the New Game+ still requires the stupid tutorial. On the older games, that wasn't a problem as they didn't even have tutorials.

And another thing. My roommates were picking up some game a few weeks ago and they almost took it back the same day when it had an unskippable tutorial, but it was a sequel to a game with the exact same controls.

7. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    I never read the manuals back in the day and I don't like the tutorial pop ups or levels in today's games. Hell this goes for just about any electronic gadget or gizmo. Manuals are for losers. Real players learn on the fly. It's part of the fun imo.

8. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I don't mind little tutorials or game logs and stuff if they're optional and accessible from the menus, 'ya know? Like in Birth By Sleep.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    After 7, Final Fantasy games become pretty linear and it's pretty clear on what to do...
    lol, it doesn't hide it, you're supposed to read and listen to what other people have to say.
    Well I don't see how you're getting upset over this because you're supposed to do your own thing.
    You're an Attorney... trying to find out information. You're supposed to talk to everyone. If it told you what to do everytime, it wouldn't be much of a game.

10. NiGHtS

Member NiGHtS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Thank god someone got there before me :p1ng:

11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I've really enjoyed these videos from him. These videos are both hysterical and well informed, the perfect combination. It is just a shame that they take so long to produce, but as long as they are this good, I am not complaining.

On another note, it seems that these videos are somewhat inspired by RedLetter Media's Plinkett reviews (just faster paced, shorter, and video game centric). Does anyone else see the connection, or is it just me?

12. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    You know I think the next one should be about how developers can progress from, say, a game like Super Bomberman to a game like Bomberman 64, but then go right back to things being like Super Bomberman after a couple of games like those games with the new gameplay never happened. Like with that Super Mario game that used the Super Scope. Or Pac'n Roll. Or Tales of Legendia, with its gameplay like Tales of Phantasia but it was released after Abyss, which had a totally different gameplay. Or Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, since the obvious next step since the game failed is to go back to regular Banjo Kazooie gameplay.