OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
Many users have semi-bricked their Wii in some way or another. Usually entails not being able to access the settings on the Wii, takes you to an Opera browser error thing. I've heard people say a new update past Mario Kart will fix this. Is that a fact? Has this fixed past semi-bricks? As someone who was semi-bricked because a member of GBAtemp misinformed me, I'd just like answers.

piepants

Trophies
Website
itspudding.com
XP
Country
As far as I know, the only way to fix semi-bricks is to run a disc that has a newer version firmware from your own region.

So if you have a US NTSC console, and you've incorrectly updated to 3.2E firmware for example, then you'd need a disc that contains a 3.3U update.

Edit: FWIW, if you've received the semi-brick from Mario Kart, try running Okami. Can't guarantee anything, but it wanted to run an update on my 3.2E PAL console.

mercantigo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
If your version was 3.1U, U need to update to a game that contain 3.2U firmware. MK will be useless, since there`s only PAL version til now, and it contains 3.1E_v2 version. Even if you have a NTSC-U version, it will only unbrick if you never made the SMG, Wii Chess or SSBB updates or a "version" firmware.

Okami will only unbrick if you never made updates from those games: Aftermath, Worms : A Space Oddity, Opoona and Okami. If u never played this games, then you can make the updates from those games and it will unbrick your Wii (NTSC-U GAMES ONLY!). If u did some update from these games, the update wont work, and you need to try this:

1- If you never made those (SMG, WII Chess, SSBB) updates, try it ( WITH A NTSC-U VERSION!)
2- If you never played:
Battalion Wars 2 (or)
Pokemon Battle Revolution
Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast
Mario Strikers Charged
Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
FIRE EMBLEM 10 USA
Mario Strikers Charged
SPORTS PACK for REVOLUTION
Try to update from any from any those games.

3- If you never played:
LINKS CROSSBOW TRAINING (or)
Guitar Hero 3
ENDLESS OCEAN
Try to update from any of those games.

4- If you never played MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8, try this update.
5- If you never played Mario Party 8, try this update
6- If you never played Super Paper Mario, try this update

Any of those choices will work.

Edit: AND REMEMBER: ALL THOSE GAMES ON THE LIST NEEDS TO BE NTSC-U!!!!

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
why not.. just.. take the latest game and run that? like mario kart right now is the latest update, before that SSBB. That is really all you need to try. Apparently some games don't have an update, so not all games can fix your system, but all nintendo games can. (which is also why in the early days we didn't need to brickblock _all_ games)

CPOStudios

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cpostudios.com
XP
Country
United States
I will look into all that more, and I really appreciate it. But some people seem to be missing my situation.

Mario Kart PAL is the game that semi-bricked my Wii. Here are all my specs:

Using a Wiikey, 1.9g firmware
Before Kart: NTSC-U with NTSC-J Brawl update (extra channels) Before JPN Brawl, I had the most up-to-date software. Brawl just added dual layer support. I believe I had 3.2U(?)
Didn't install latest shop update, never did NTSC-U Brawl update

Kart results: Ran untouched PAL Mario Kart update on my NTSC console (Certain GBATemp members told me it did nothing)
Semi-Bricked the settings in the Wii menu

But I will first attempt the Okami update. Thanks so much for compiling the update guide.

Timmyhawky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My PAL Wii was bricked with a JAP version of Brawl(3.1J).
Then I inserted a PAL Mario Kart Wii, did the update(3.1e), and it was fixed
grog.gif

So in you case, try running the 3.1u update of Mario Kart Wii.
Otherwise, you have to wait for a newer update, just like I had to do
wink.gif

ohnoeee

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're saying that if we did let the update proceed in a Mario Kart Wii (PAL) game, and it caused a semi-brick on a NTSC Wii with the lock on the menu settings....

....that if we've already updated with SMG, Wii Chess or SSBB updates... we're screwed?
I brickblocked my Jap version of Brawl and updated with my US version, and I don't remember what I did for Mario Galaxy.

Does this mean I just have to wait until a newer update on a game comes out?
Or would updating with something new like Opoona (NTSC) solve this like you say it does for Okami?

If it doesn't work, is there a different way to update/fix this?

enito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Hi, i have the thing of update pal mario kart
frown.gif
i cant access to config options in my wii. I tryed the steps, of load Okami and no updates i get, too with worms and nothing..what we can do? only wait mario kart USA or a game with new fw?

plz let me know..thx!

enito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
a guy from wii hack say me install wikey update 1.9g , i have 1.9s,he say with this downgrde the stuff fix, is true?

gamidi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Maybe someone with the coding skills need to make a program that can lower the version number in the systemmenu so you can update it with lower version firmware and fix semi-bricks(waninkoko anyone?) xD.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
gamidi said:
Maybe someone with the coding skills need to make a program that can lower the version number in the systemmenu so you can update it with lower version firmware and fix semi-bricks(waninkoko anyone?) xD.

I doubt that will work, as the individual file versions are checked, and the number in the system menu means nothing.

crpngdth2001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
piepants said:
As far as I know, the only way to fix semi-bricks is to run a disc that has a newer version firmware from your own region.

So if you have a US NTSC console, and you've incorrectly updated to 3.2E firmware for example, then you'd need a disc that contains a 3.3U update.

Edit: FWIW, if you've received the semi-brick from Mario Kart, try running Okami. Can't guarantee anything, but it wanted to run an update on my 3.2E PAL console.

Thanks Piepants, worked awesome for me. I was semi-bricked from PAL Custom GH3 on my NTSC-U system (stupidly forgot to brickblock and region-fii), and had the updates from SMG and SSBB already before bricking. Okami - NTSC - ZRY worked perfectly and updated to 3.1U, then I configured my internet settings for the first time, and got online and took another update (3.2U?). Everything is fine now - and I stopped being lazy and ran my wiikey config disk and turned DEV Mode and Block Updates on too to save me from myself. Thanks again!

syserror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea, i'm outta luck here too, bricked my jap wii with okami, tried to unbrick with mario kart but the update didn't show.

we really need an app that forces the update onto wii...

anyone have an idea when's the next nintendo party game that's going to be released? i'm awaiting for that newer firmware to unbrick........

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1