Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini delayed to 2019

IMG_1504.JPG

Earlier this year, we saw SEGA announce the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini console, which would feature retro games built in. Originally, this was set to only launch in Japan, but due to demand, SEGA is delaying the mini throwback system in order to be able to release it worldwide. A re-design of the current hardware is also being looked into, with some extra staff being hired on to the project. The new release window has been pushed back to 2019, but now there will be a simultaneous launch in Japan, Europe, and North America.

:arrow: Source

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
This is cool and all, but Sega has a million different Genesis systems on the market already (good or bad, they are there.) Why not make something new like Saturn mini or a Dreamcast mini? Those would be really worth buying because both of them are a bitch to emulate.
That's pretty much the reason why they won't do it lol

Reactions: Borgman2018

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
At this rate Sega's Mini might end up competing with the (unconfirmed) high end FPGA-driven Mega Drive clone from Analogue. We live in interesting times.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The (sc)atgames version has been on shelves for months. To normal joe customer, this delay won't mean jack, as they wont know the difference between these and the new ones other than the changes (if any) in the built in game libraries, like the 2600 flashbacks.

Knight of Time

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is quite surprising...but while I'm in agreement with hoping that AtGames doesn't contribute to this project, I'm crossing my fingers that Sega will finally be able to port all of the Sonic the Hedgehog games they made for the Genesis/Mega Drive to this particular console (including Blue Sphere, Knuckles in Sonic 2, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but also allowing the first 4 "main" games to be played stand-alone, and for Sonic 3/Sonic 3 & Knuckles, I'm crossing my fingers Sega will implement the ability to save the save data to the games), considering previous consoles with Genesis/Mega Drive games don't have Sonic 3 on them but do have Sonic & Knuckles.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Borgman2018

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it's about time. Considering the excellent ports Sega did in-house for their games on other consoles, and how their 3ds rereleases even offer the option of what sound chip to emulate, it's high time that the Genesis got a high quality microconsole to replicate all of its goodness. Hopefully one beefy enough to also handle the 32X library as well.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, it's about time. Considering the excellent ports Sega did in-house for their games on other consoles, and how their 3ds rereleases even offer the option of what sound chip to emulate, it's high time that the Genesis got a high quality microconsole to replicate all of its goodness. Hopefully one beefy enough to also handle the 32X library as well.

Depends on how powerful the Cyclone V FGPA is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    E @ eenterx: hello guys how do i type on forums?