Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Mini delayed to 2019

IMG_1504.JPG

Earlier this year, we saw SEGA announce the Mega Drive/Genesis Mini console, which would feature retro games built in. Originally, this was set to only launch in Japan, but due to demand, SEGA is delaying the mini throwback system in order to be able to release it worldwide. A re-design of the current hardware is also being looked into, with some extra staff being hired on to the project. The new release window has been pushed back to 2019, but now there will be a simultaneous launch in Japan, Europe, and North America.

:arrow: Source

The Catboy

GBATemp's Official Demiboy: Am Catboy now!
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is cool and all, but Sega has a million different Genesis systems on the market already (good or bad, they are there.) Why not make something new like Saturn mini or a Dreamcast mini? Those would be really worth buying because both of them are a bitch to emulate.

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This is cool and all, but Sega has a million different Genesis systems on the market already (good or bad, they are there.) Why not make something new like Saturn mini or a Dreamcast mini? Those would be really worth buying because both of them are a bitch to emulate.
I don't like mini systems overall and I also own a real Dreamcast, but a DC Mini would be sweet as hell.
The main reason it'll probably never be done is because most of its games have already been ported to other systems tho =/

Reploid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Not a huge loss

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't like mini systems overall and I also own a real Dreamcast, but a DC Mini would be sweet as hell.
The main reason it'll probably never be done is because most of its games have already been ported to other systems tho =/
I'm sure subj have all its games availble somewhere else as well

Trash_Bandatcoot

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This thing will flop, because SEGA yet has to learn that AtGames makes terrible plug-&-play consoles. In fact, when it was announced, the post saying this got deleted.

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This thing will flop, because SEGA yet has to learn that AtGames makes terrible plug-&-play consoles. In fact, when it was announced, the post saying this got deleted.
There's still hope they ditched ATGames and that's causing the delay.

D

Deleted User

But, from the looks of it, AtGames won't be having a hand in this system's production. This Mini attempt looks like it's being developed in-house, which I assume will be of higher quality than what AtGames did. However, this is SEGA we're talking about, so you never know.

Last edited by ,

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Costello @ Costello:
    filthy europeans
  • Costello @ Costello:
    mighty asians
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Recovering lost partitions sucks ass
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Attempting to recover a 2tb worth of movies and this 320 weirdly won't initialize
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    huraay for keeping backups
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    huraay for that backup drive being the issue back up a back up of a
    back ups :teach:
    if only you could encode the backup in your DNA and carry it with you
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    In 20 years we'll probably have micro sd cards implants in our heads
    microsd?
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I'd be okay with getting my brain taken out and replaced with one as long as its not intel or apple
    shiet get on with the time grampa, we're using picoSD now
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Only the most important humans will have nvme installed in their head
  • _Shimon @ _Shimon:
    oh shit this exists
  • Arras @ Arras:
    wait this is where the shoutbox went?
  • Adran_Marit @ Adran_Marit:
    What are everyone's
    thoughts on gpu prices atm?
  • Arras @ Arras:
    high
    lol yes they are high, mate of mine just got a 1080 for $700 AUD
    second hand which is nuts as when the 3070 came out here that's how much it was new at the time
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I
    f you have tech that can decently run games don't buy anything yet wait a year or two
    I just got a core build upgrade, minus gpu due to price, will be running my GTX780 until I can afford an upgrade
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Prices are up because of bots and
    shortages it'll die down with a year or two
    Yeah I imagine there will be a short period where prices are low then the next series will come out and low and behold have high prices again
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Today's games look just fine at 1080 with decent 60fos unless you have disposable income it's not really worth it
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Probably won't be that long until theirs 4k capable apus around $400
  • PeeJay Bonobo @ PeeJay Bonobo:
    And I'm here stuck with my 3800X (though I need to plan if I want to upgrade to a 5900X) and an RX 5700 (XT BIOS).
    PeeJay Bonobo @ PeeJay Bonobo: And I'm here stuck with my 3800X (though I need to plan if I want to upgrade to a 5900X) and an...