Sega CD Model 1 Gear Repair

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all,
3 days ago I bought a complete in box Model 1 Sega CD off of Ebay. However, the seller contacted me today and told me that he tested it out again and found that the drive door wouldn't open anymore. He already replaced the drive belt and fuse, so he said that he believes it is a broken drive gear. He's offering to sell it to me at half cost (I paid $250 for it, came with the box, manuals, accessories, and a model 1 genesis so this would lower the price to $125) or cancel the order and give me a full refund. If the drive belt were the issue I would take his offer in an instant, but I don't know the first thing about replacing drive gears in a Model 1 Sega CD. Is there any place i can buy replacement Sega Cd gear parts for cheap? How hard are the gears to replace? Would you recommend I still buy it, or should I cancel the order and get my money back?
Thanks for your advice

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I fix SEGA consoles all the time and yes, the gear in Sony drives on Mega CD is prone to failure (I have one next to me right now). The part would cost you less than $10 but the CD drive in the model 1 can be tricky if you've not opened one before. Have a look at this video and if you feel like you are up to taking the drive apart, it might be worth a go. Just be aware that there is always the risk that its not the gear and you could end up with nothing but a spare parts system (speaking from experience on that one).

TangentingTangerines

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fix SEGA consoles all the time and yes, the gear in Sony drives on Mega CD is prone to failure (I have one next to me right now). The part would cost you less than $10 but the CD drive in the model 1 can be tricky if you've not opened one before. Have a look at this video and if you feel like you are up to taking the drive apart, it might be worth a go. Just be aware that there is always the risk that its not the gear and you could end up with nothing but a spare parts system (speaking from experience on that one).

Been talking to the guy a bit more. He's much better at fixing up these things than I am and he ended up opening it up to take a look at the insides. Said that the gear that lifts the laser assembly up got stripped (I couldn't find that specific replacement part online, though I'm not sure where to look or what to search for). He attempted a fix himself which almost worked but the drive door wouldn't lock in place. At this point I'm convinced that if he couldn't fix it after spending hours working on it, I sure as hell won't with my limited tools and knowledge of Sega Cd internals, especially since there are no good tutorials for something like this so I just took my refund. Seller definitely went above and beyond to try and help me out though. Thanks for your help everyone.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-