Seems BMW (the car maker) are going in for microtransactions/subscriptions in their cars

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New Jersey apparently took 5 minutes from looking at its impending bankruptcy and taxing its citizens as hard as they can ( https://www.tax-rates.org/new_jersey/property-tax ) to try to pass a law blocking things that "don't have an ongoing cost" to the dealer/manufacturer (so things like paid for satellite radio, which is apparently a thing in the US, are still in play, and probably some of the self driving features will be or will be tailored to be this)

Not sure what to think about this one. Government action is so blunt and I would much rather it be a thing the market sorts out (second word is off to any car dealer that tries this one on with me*, and you bet I would be up for hacking it, not sure if I would take that before I moved somewhere with a homeowner association but it is up there).

*granted there are vanishingly few reasons I would ever buy a new car but we can play theoretical for this one.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New cars sold in EU countries will be equipped with a black box, apparently? That's an invasion of privacy.

Micro transactions and privacy concerns.. they're gonna make people "hack" their own cars at this point.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here we go again...

From a business sense, it makes sense as they're probably willing to pay regardless, but it's friggin' annoying that DLC in real life is becoming so common. 🤬

I guess it goes well with "You'll be happy, and you'll own nothing."

At some point in time in the future they'll try to block people from buying and only rent/lease them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can see a path to that one if it is attributed to the warranty aspect instead. Similar things exist in conventional cars today even with factory installed parts; launch control is a feature some high end cars have and warranty says you get three of them before you get to replace the relevant parts yourself.
If they can make the case that stuffing higher current/removing limiters would then speak to warranty of the vehicle (higher acceleration, even a "low" as 1 second off the 0-60, can come with some considerable extra demands on the battery, motor windings, control circuitry and mechanical aspects) then this serving as an excess payment in that realm to account for higher probabilities of failure. Warranties on electric cars being quite long compared to petrol/diesel, said cars also not typically making it much further than the warranty lasts but got to let those hippies feel superior.

Second word is still off if someone tries this on for me but that is the engineering path I would take.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, and let it be telepathically