Seeking advice: Best PSP for emulators?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by statnut, May 10, 2014.

1. statnut
    OP

statnut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Hello all,

Looking to pick up a PSP mainly to play NES/SNES/Genesis games, with perhaps a few others thrown in. Which of the options are the best? My preference would be for one with a UMD drive, but I'm not married to the idea either. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

2. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    It doesn't really matter. Unless you really want to try to emulate the Saturn or N64, which few games are playable on there, then the extra RAM of the later models don't really matter that much. Some applications make use of it and it does work well for a cache for official games, but it's rather minor. Essentially:

+If you want something cheap, don't mind the limited RAM, fully hackable, *recoverable from bricking, less vivid screen with ghosting but no scanlines, and has an UMD drive: get a Phat.

+If you don't mind paying a bit extra, has extra RAM, most likely fully hackable, *probably recoverable from bricking, less vivid screen with ghosting but no scanlines, and has an UMD drive: get a Slim.

+If you want something cheap, has extra RAM, not fully hackable, not recoverable from bricking, more vivid screen with little ghosting but has scanlines, and has an UMD drive: get a Brite.

+If you don't mind paying a bit extra, has extra RAM, not fully hackable, not recoverable from bricking, more vivid screen with little ghosting and little to no scanlines, but doesn't have an UMD drive: get a Go. Also, it has bluetooth support.

*To recover from bricking, you need a Pandora Battery and a Magic Memory Stick.
    +Prices may vary. I just put an estimate in relation to one another with what I've seen lately.

If you don't plan to do any development or extensive testing of alpha software, then chances are you don't need to worry about getting a fully hackable one. I rather like the Go, but if the lack of UMD is a deal break then I'd recommend the Brite as long as you don't mind scanlines. The screen does look a lot nicer except during fast sequences. Overall, I stick to my Slim, but I've had that thing for years and proven to be reliable. Also, I have my old hard modded Pandora Battery and MMS, so I can test things out on it without having to worry about permanent bricking.

Edit: Oh, Phat is the 1000 model, Slim the 2000, and Brite the 3000.

statnut likes this.
  3. statnut
    OP

statnut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was looking for!

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    PSP now a days are practically cheap. I have a 2000 series and it's pretty good, chances you will find it in the store are low compared to the 3000 series. If you wanna play specifically those emulators than it really does not matter that system you get because there's no risk of any brick since I the latest and last update from Sony is hackable. I say if you just wanna get it hacked to play those emulators I recommend a 2000 series psp if not a 3000 series. If you wanna also play lots of games I recommend a GO as I think memory cards for the psp are still expensive and you can already have 16 gigs installed in it.

statnut likes this.
  5. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Don't use Sony's memory cards, just a Micro SDHC adapter. With a 2 slot adapter, you can have up to a 64GB capacity for around $40.

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    I have to say, stay away from 1000's. Their D-Pad is terrible. Theres a quasifix for that, but its still sub par. And for retro emulation, a responsive Dpad is the most important thing in the world. Also, 1000's have that thing where the square button sits halfway over the screen, which means it only got one stabelizer pin thingy, which in turn makes the square button kinda wobbly compared to all the others.
    In addition to that, the screen is the worst when it comes to the ghosting effect - black things, like hair, walls, shadows will always leave a trail when they move on the screen.

I cant judge 2000's and 3000's myself cause I never had one of those, but they both have a better dpad and screen. Though the ghosting is still there on 2000's, its apparently not as bad, while the 3000 traded ghosting for interlacing.
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/10/psp-300-v-200.jpg

the go has the best, though smallest screen, hands down. (its only smaller but it has the same resolution of course). i've not seen any scanlines or ghosting at all. it generally also has the best buttons, they're not the same type you'd find on a ps3 controller with the rubber pad that sink in much. they're like on the first nintendo ds and the gba sp. They're extremely responsive, but give less feedback. They're also smaller which is bad for big hands/thumbs.
    Theres no umd drive, but if you play roms on emulators, i'd gather you probably play roms in general, so that doesnt make a world of difference.
    The only negative point to the psp go is the L and R triggers. They're hidden out of sight behind the screen and feel weirdly loose, a strong contrast to the face buttons. At least for me, they're really uncomfortable to use. Holding the go so that i can hit both triggers and at the same time hit the dpad and face buttons accurately is almost impossible for me, playing with the analog nub is even worse.
    But i might get used to it eventually. Good thing is, even on the snes, few games really require them much.
    Start and select are also weirdly positioned and give even less haptic feedback than the face buttons.

Between a 1000 and the go that I own since last week, the go is a huge improvement in every aspect save the L/R triggers and I would say, if you get it cheap, go for that.

Otherwise, aim for a 3000 because interlacing is still better than ghosting.

statnut likes this.
  7. VGA

VGA Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2014
    You have to be crazy to get a Go, they have a smaller screen and worse button layout. Crazy...

2000 or 3000!

statnut likes this.
  8. statnut
    OP

statnut Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Thanks everyone. I picked up a 3000 today. Now to get a bigger memory card and hack this baby!

VGA likes this.
  9. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I have a PSP-2001, and dont have any ghosting, and the screen is vivid as fuck. It has 6.60 CFW PRO-C permanently installed, full brick recovery with my pandora battery+MMS. go with the 200/2001, it's the best of all of them.

10. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    You mean 128GB for ~$75. ;)

11. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Didn't think the adapter was able to handle that much, but I never tested it as I never had a need, so I wouldn't really know.
    Some people like smaller screens. My most favorite version of the Game Boy Advance is the Game Boy Micro. They fit in my shirt pockets with plenty of extra room. :P

12. Jayro

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Formatted to FAT32, they cards will behave just fine. Or better yet, just let the PSP do the formatting. :)