Secret of mana

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by danweb, Apr 15, 2010.

Apr 15, 2010

Secret of mana by danweb at 11:51 AM (3,618 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. danweb
    OP

Member danweb GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Which SNES emulator on the DS is the best one to run Secret of Mana? I am also wondering how to set up my files correctly. I am not sure to use a 7zip file or one of the .smc files within. Please help me out [​IMG]

Thanks,
    DanWeb

2. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    it's not like you have a large choice [​IMG] Try SNEmulDS, it should work

EDIT : Ok, do not try SNEmulDS, it sucks lol Just tried and the intro is all crappy, some textures are missing,...

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    SnemulDS plays it best. Make sure SnemulDS and the cfg file stays in the root of the microSD. Make a folder called SNES and put the smc files inside that. SMC are your snes roms.

4. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    Oh, I just forgot to put back the config to default. That's why I couldn't play properly

5. Spongeroberto

Member Spongeroberto GBAtemp Regular

Bhutan
    Secret of Mana is playable, but even with SNEmulDS it suffers from some graphical glitches.

I'm really hoping that on the next handheld SNES emulation will work better. It's a shame that so many fine games aren't available on our beloved DS

6. granville

United States
    The new SNES emulator in the Supercard DSTWO might play it better. DSTWO has its OWN hardware, enough to emulate GBA fairly well, something normal flashcards can't do. We don't know how good it will be yet, but it's a main selling point for the card, so i imagine it will play a lot of games better. Secret of Mana is fairly easy to emulate, so the chances it will work are pretty good. It's the special chip games we'll have issues with if anything...

7. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    First game I'll test is Soulblazer. I wish I could get that one working on SnemulDS (I think it's some kind of sound sync issue).

8. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    How is that fairly easy to emulate, yet Seiken Densetsu 3 isn't even possible to run with SNEmulDS? The game engine isn't different or anything. The only difference is the story and graphics!

9. granville

United States
    Dude, there's a huge difference in the two... Seiken Densetsu 3 has considerably better graphics and they're definitely not running on an identical game engine (if they are the same engine, they changed SD3's to be almost completely different). Also, SD3 allows high resolution text which SnemulDS apparently cannot support, nor can any other SNES emulator on DS. I don't even get where you thought the two games were so similar, SD3 is very different looking and even playing. The graphics are a LOT better. Being the same series on the same system does not make one game easier to emulate than another either.

I was able to get partially ingame by messing around with sound and speedhacks, but it's not playable. Why'd you even ask that here though? It has nothing to do with this topic nor does it help anyone in any way. This is about Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2), not the sequel. Secret of Mana works fairly well on SnemulDS, the sequel does not. I don't get what your problem is here...

If you can't tell any difference between the two games in terms of just graphics, look closer-

Secret of Mana-
    [​IMG]

Seiken Densetsu 3-
    [​IMG]

It's blatantly clear that between the two games, SD3 really devours the other in terms of visuals. In motion, the game also has far smoother, more fluid, and more detailed sprites. The game also makes greater use of the SNES' mode7 effects while in game for spells and special effects (the world map looks better as well). Much more going on at once, just generally far more detailed and graphically stressful. It's kind of like going from Final Fantasy 4/5 to Final Fantasy 6 between the two games.

10. Inunah

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    O.o I know. But still. [​IMG]

11. azakhan

Newcomer azakhan Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Ok so I'm using an acekard2i and I downloaded [​IMG] SNEmulDS I extracted the contents and transferred them to the root of my sd. Then I made a snes folder and put my smc files. I have a few games, mario all stars (which works ok) and and a few others that work okish (breath of fire 2 starts in colour then turns black and white which i don't think is supposed to happen). But when I try to play secret of mana it loads up and starts making a horrible noise and then after pressing start the game is unplayable without being able to move at all. So I was wondering if it's:
    1) I'm using an acekard. I downloaded the Acek.dldi patch but I didn't know how to apply it to the 000SNEmulDS file. I downloaded dldirc because I thought it might apply the patch, so I right clicked on the 000SNEmulDS file and selected dldirc Acekard+ patch and it said patch was successful. But I didn't have to manually apply the Acek.dldi patch. Did it do it automatically? I didn't think it did, but I assumed it was ok since my acekard ran snemulds fine even before I did anything to it. The readme file that came with snemulds stated I should apply the dldi patch but I don't know how, and with what program. Is there any tutorial/wiki that shows how to patch all sorts of files eg. translation patches, normal NDS patches, all the different file types that patches can come in??

2) Is it possible that the secret of mana rom I downloaded is itself bad? I even tried renaming the extension from .smc to .nds as I read it might work somewhere but no luck lol.

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If the homebrew starts up properly you don't need to patch it. DLDI patching is a thing for the past for the most part.

13. Dann Woolf

Member Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Netherlands
    Three words: Supercard DSTWO, CATSFC.

14. azakhan

United Kingdom
    Thanks Rydian, at least I now know I don't have to worry about the dldi patch anymore. So does anyone have any ideas why the secret of mana rom isn't running properly, other users here seem to have got it working on snemulds and i obviously have it running properly. (i may get a dstwo in the future at some point but wanted to play secret of mana in the meantime.) maybe the rom is bad?

Also can anyone point me to a comprehensive guide/tutorial on how to patch various nds files etc? I know there are different tools depending on the type of patch?

15. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The issue is not with the NDS file, the issue is the emulator and the game. SNES emulation on the DS is hit-or-miss, even the games that work can have serious issues.

I don't have any specific advice because I gave up on emulation on the DS.

16. EMP Knightmare

Member EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

United States
    Actually yeah Breath of Fire 2 starts in color and begins in black and white until you reach a certain area (I believe it's right before your first fight) The black and white shading is suppose to signify it taking place in the past or a memory of the past. Back then games had to tell a lot by only using 16 bit visuals.

17. azakhan

United Kingdom
    Oh I thought there was a possibilty that it was supposed to be black n white lol. cool I'll play it then! But I really wanted to play secret of mana on my acekard too, is there anyone who has managed to run it? Could they help me out if so.

Also I read somewhere that you can play multiplayer snes games on the ds through emulation? is that correct (I thought local mutilplayer wireless would have to be programmed into the game?)