Homebrew Suggestion Sd card corrupted

Old-Skool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk what's going on with my sd Carr but I'm on 5.1 and my sd Card is fat32 and for some reason when I try to update kosmos or hekete using the thread on here its constantly getting corrupted. I format the dam sd card numerous times and it works again fine but after a few times of me booting into hekete it corrupts again and I'm not sure why.

The sd card is a Sandisk Ultra 128gb bought from Walgreens

Old-Skool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like your card is busted
I just put in a new sd card and im seeing how it works out now but for some reason the switch wont go into sleep mode. The screen stays black but the backlight is still on and I have to hold the power button for more than 10 seconds to restart it again

Extreme184X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this exact issue on both fat32 & ex-fat EVENLY on a several SD cards, and after lots of testing trying figure out causes card to become corrupt, i came to "my own" conclusion the same corruption issues would re-appear evenly on both fat32 and ex-fat on my cards and that the filesystem is not the problem, the problem was three things, the first problem was certain home brew apps are capable corrupting card, such as early of builds NX-shell, RetroNX (in my case), the second problem is the SD card, because my SD cards were of slower read & write speeds ,it takes longer to access a file causing the card to heat up and the card could not keep up with the switch and would cause a write and read error (corruption). Even under moderate usage,switch running games and home-brew at some point the card becomes corrupted. The corruption made files and folders on my SD card not browse-able, completely disappear, change in file size, and the files become unload-able because they have become corrupt. The third issue was heat, if card gets to hot due your environment being to warm, this will definitely cause corruption. if the card is reading or writing too many files consecutively, this can cause the card to heat up and cause file corruption. And lastly the Dock, the dock is capable heating up your card big-time due to lack of ventilation.

My solution, i upgraded/bought a high end ultra high speed II card, made sure my card doesn't get hot and for 5 months now, i been corruption free, and never having use fat32 again. Out my testings and experience,the problem was the Card, certain home-brews, and heat were the culprit and NOT EX-FAT.

Hope you and someone else can find my experience useful.

Last edited by Extreme184X,

Old-Skool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's just the Kosmos I keep trying to put into the sd card. But for some reason the switch still wont go into sleep mode. It's just a black screen for the backlight on.

Old-Skool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you using an old version of kosmos and/or hekate?
I figured it out. I just downloaded Kosmos from the Homebrew app store and everything worked. As for the black screen I booted into Renix and sleep mode worked so restarted into CFW and everything seems fine now

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

5.1 has no benefits, update.
Im looking into it now

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

5.1 has no benefits, update.
Does it matter how I choose to update?

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this exact issue on both fat32 & ex-fat EVENLY on a several SD cards, and after lots of testing trying figure out causes card to become corrupt, i came to "my own" conclusion the same corruption issues would re-appear evenly on both fat32 and ex-fat on my cards and that the filesystem is not the problem, the problem was three things, the first problem was certain home brew apps are capable corrupting card, such as early of builds NX-shell, RetroNX (in my case), the second problem is the SD card, because my SD cards were of slower read & write speeds ,it takes longer to access a file causing the card to heat up and the card could not keep up with the switch and would cause a write and read error (corruption). Even under moderate usage,switch running games and home-brew at some point the card becomes corrupted. The corruption made files and folders on my SD card not browse-able, completely disappear, change in file size, and the files become unload-able because they have become corrupt. The third issue was heat, if card gets to hot due your environment being to warm, this will definitely cause corruption. if the card is reading or writing too many files consecutively, this can cause the card to heat up and cause file corruption. And lastly the Dock, the dock is capable heating up your card big-time due to lack of ventilation.

My solution, i upgraded/bought a high end ultra high speed II card, made sure my card doesn't get hot and for 5 months now, i been corruption free, and never having use fat32 again. Out my testings and experience,the problem was the Card, certain home-brews, and heat were the culprit and NOT EX-FAT.

Hope you and someone else can find my experience useful.

This is false. Confirmation bias is not data. Heat and exFAT corruption could not be less intertwined. I trust most people are intelligent enough to realize actual developers pushing the scene forward would be more knowledgeable about this stuff than randos with 4x posts, but this is a very special brand of nonsense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse